PDA

View Full Version : Live tank pump playing up

Sheik
04-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Hey guys, whenever my live bait tank sits for more than ten minutes or so i have to take the pipe off the intake at the tank and blow air out the hose. It bubbles away and then starts again.
I assume it's betting air bubbles in it. It's on my stracer nomad and it has a little mesh covering at the back of the pod on the inlet. I was thinking of replacing that with an elbow of pipe without the mesh. ANy thoughts on how I can fix this?

1lastcast
04-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Hi there sheik im not sure i understand properly but i think it sounds like the pump might have a problem i would firstly check the pickup point and then remove the cover on the bottom of the pump and make sure that it it clear and operating without restriction and if all is ok then perhaps try what you suggested with the elbow and pipe .
a photo of your setup would help me understand better .

Regards monostretcho

lethal098
04-02-2009, 11:34 AM
hi is your pump internal or external, sounds like either an air leak into the pump or not enough water getting to the pump. as stated a photo will help to see if there may be something else. cheers lethal

Roughasguts
04-02-2009, 01:51 PM
These pumps don't last forever maybe the pumps just about had it, and getting sticky.

Sheik
04-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks fellas, could be the pump but it has been that way since I have had the boat from new, only a few weeks. The pump i internal, in the pod, and it's a bastard to get at, so I'm hoping with a lower intake the problem might be solved. The little mesh intake is a strainer. What happens is that the pump will work when i take the inlet pipe off at the tank and blow down the tobe, to clear it. It will work then for a while and then it ceases to pump water especially if the boat moves. The pump still turns over and sounds fine, but somehow water is not getting up to the pump.

lethal098
04-02-2009, 04:33 PM
i would say definately a pick up problem, simply not getting all the way under water. cheers lethal

Blackened
04-02-2009, 04:35 PM
G'day

You said the boat is only new, a few weeks old?

Take it back to the dealer, get them to fix it

Dave