PDA

View Full Version : what braid to get?

Jono757
04-02-2009, 01:16 AM
hey guys, im looking at getting some new line, currently i run 12lb penn pro 10x mono line and for a while i been looking at getting some braid, my friends has some 20lb braid (dont know the brand) and it seems about the same thicknes or thinner then my line, but he seems to snap his alot (mainly from abrasion on rocks and stuff) i am looking to get about 40-60 lb line as im chasing some bigger barras, i always run a metal trace on my setup so hopefully mine shouldnt snap as easy. im just wandering what everyone thinks is the best type of braid?

i have a few brands in mind and they are
- finns prt braid
- strenn microfuse (only 30lb but)
- surecatch live fibre TX
- bionic braid (not sure on this one)
- platypus sinking braid

plastic_paul
04-02-2009, 05:30 AM
i like finns. microfuse seems to be a bit thinner tho.

tailorboi99
04-02-2009, 07:22 AM
I like fins too, very good brand.

Tom

Mudguard 92
04-02-2009, 07:43 AM
Yea, fins is very good, i have 4lb, 10lb and 30lb of their braid.

Rockfish
04-02-2009, 09:02 AM
hey guys, im looking at getting some new line, currently i run 12lb penn pro 10x mono line and for a while i been looking at getting some braid, my friends has some 20lb braid (dont know the brand) and it seems about the same thicknes or thinner then my line, but he seems to snap his alot (mainly from abrasion on rocks and stuff) i am looking to get about 40-60 lb line as im chasing some bigger barras, i always run a metal trace on my setup so hopefully mine shouldnt snap as easy. im just wandering what everyone thinks is the best type of braid?

i have a few brands in mind and they are
- finns prt braid
- strenn microfuse (only 30lb but)
- surecatch live fibre TX
- bionic braid (not sure on this one)
- platypus sinking braid

Hi

Ok for most purposes you should find 30lb braid to be ample unless you are fishing a lot of heavy structure like at Monduran when maybe 50lb is preferable. I have used alot of braid on the market and have found a few stand out performers.:
- Tuf line xp
- Fins prt
- Bionic braid
- Nitlon Braid

All these braids are supple and will cast very nicely and retain very high not strength. Tuf line xp and bionic appear to have a higher abbrasion resitance than the others. make sure you run a longer trace somewhere in the range of 5-6ft depending upon rod length.

Cheers
Rockfish

tunaticer
04-02-2009, 05:05 PM
I am having an fantastic run with Nitlon PE at the moment. Cured me of looking for a better braid.

slyman
04-02-2009, 05:13 PM
I've got Nitlon 30lb on a reel I use for barra in Monduran, doubled to either 60 or 80lb leader, works a treat, and its stood up to being run across tree trunks as a fish charges off. Before I used that I had 30lb tufline xp and it held up too, although it never got the tree test. I've used Fins up to 20lb down in Moreton Bay and I could recommend that too as others have. I've never used the Platypus or the Bionic braid though.

NAGG
04-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Some braids work better on baitcast gear while others are better on spin ....... My choice would be Nitlon on BC & Fins on Spin

Chris

Jono757
04-02-2009, 08:26 PM
ok, thanks guys, i think i narrowed it down to finns, and bionic braid, i have an abu garcia 6600 and 5600 baitcaster. what do you think would be better for that setup?

GPB
04-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Ditto to Naggs answer, actually Nitlon on anything :thumbsup:

Jono757
04-02-2009, 08:30 PM
ok, well i cant get nitlon, so its either finns or bionic, i think i might get one of each for both my rods and try them out :)

Sergio_kutz
06-02-2009, 10:20 AM
My advice is to stay away from tuffline, i've found it holds a lot of water in the braid which hampers casting after it's been in the water. Persoally I like bionic over finns, but it's also a little more expensive in most cases. Both are good brands tho.

aussiebasser
06-02-2009, 11:41 AM
I'd go with Bionic. It has a larger diametre which helps with abrasion resistance. Bionic is still my preference for Barra.