PDA

View Full Version : repower for a 4.20 Quintrex Dory

wheelerdog
03-02-2009, 09:47 PM
After seling my cruise carft due to relocating inland i am looking to repower a 4.20m dory.

currently has a 25 CV yammie 2 stroke which is nasty to troll with for cod etc (Murray River)

hull is rated to 40hp,so thinking of new 40hp efi yammie, i think merc exceeds transom weight for hull, and suzi tiller control seems a bit primitive and no dealer convenient.

does anyone run 40hp on 4.20 dory or will a 30 hp 4 be sufficient. i know but the maximum theory.;)

boat sees a allot of use week ends and mid week and i do some long river runs to find secret spots;D

any comments appreciated.

Dan5
03-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Does the 30 have PTT and leccy start?

I know the 40 does.......it's the same as my 60 yammie tiller steer.........it's a great set up with easy operation.

Yeah the 40 would be better IMO but it's your boat so it's up to you, just see if the 30 has the same tiller set up as the 40.

Dan.

foxx510
04-02-2009, 07:35 AM
I'd think a 40 4st would be bordering on too heavy and will make it sit low at the back.

Scott Ashe
04-02-2009, 07:54 AM
Hi,

In Response to Dan5 Q, does the 30 4 stroke have elec start and tilt?, yes it does because I have a 25 4 Yam '07' on 410 Allycraft Rhino, because I have Cerbral Palsy and can't manually tilt something that big.

Cheers
Scott

bennyboy
04-02-2009, 08:42 AM
The new EFI 40 Yammie will be fine on a 4.2, depending on loading and use you may want to look at putting a foil on the motor after you have tried it out for a month or 2. It's alot of power for a light 4.2m and with a light load on boatd the nose will tend to come up a bit when taking off. A foil such as the SE sport will keep the nose down.

Live4Fishin
04-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Wheelerdog, I used to have a 420 Topender (same hull as dory) with a 99 40HP 2 stroke yam 3cyc. It used to go great did about 28-30 knots. weight from memory was about 90kg?? i could be wrong. you could even put a 50HP on if you wanted, its exactly the same donk same weight everything. Ill post some pics of my old boat when i get a chance.

beau.:)

mookyandlumpy
04-02-2009, 04:09 PM
i have a dory with the 40hp suzuki , fun little boat i can get around 20-23 knots with 4 people and camping gear with out goin flat stick,

if you plan to carry big loads i would go the 40 but if you fish light with 2 people a 30 would be fine

where are you located ??? mabey do a test run in my rig to see what you think ????

rhycebullimore
04-02-2009, 04:28 PM
83kgs...50hp tohatsu 2st oil injection...just wacked it on my 4.1...45kms an hour at just over half throttle...and excellant fuel economy. electric trim and tilt electric start.

wheelerdog
04-02-2009, 05:06 PM
thanks so much for the feed back.............Mr Rudd may have enabled purchase to be brought forward;) ;D i hope the greens and independants don't hold up the show, i need to support the boat shop industry

50 hp on a 4.1, now that would fly!

I am down on the Murray River so a test could be a little difficult, i was living in QLD when i first found this great forum.

bushbeachboy
04-02-2009, 05:10 PM
The Yammie has the best trim and tilt setup for a tiller outboard. It's a true one-handed operation with the tilt button sitting directly under your thumb when driving from the starboard side.

The next best setup Ive seen is the Etec which has the trim button right at the end of the tiller handle, where you can easily reach it with your thumb.

Being able to use the trim button with the thumb of your left hand means that you only need one hand on the tiller, and so have a free hand for whatever else.

The other outboards that have the trim button on the tiller arm, but behind the throttle twist grip require two handed operation.

The Yammie 4 stroke is not that heavy either - around 100kg from memory, certainly competitive with most 40HP motors either 2 or 4 stroke. The 2 stroke PTT 40HP Yammie I've got on my little 4.1 Polycraft makes a good boat into a brilliant one.

I'm not a one-eyed Yammie fan either. I just believe that in the tiller versions with PTT they have the most user-friendly setup.

dreemon
04-02-2009, 05:11 PM
83kgs...50hp tohatsu 2st oil injection...just wacked it on my 4.1...45kms an hour at just over half throttle...and excellant fuel economy. electric trim and tilt electric start.

Geeez, whats your top speed ? flighty? a light load on my 4,1 40hp will max out at 64 kms, but thats pushing it ,

A 40 hp is generaly a good match for a 4 m tinny

greenwormguru
13-02-2009, 10:13 AM
i hav a 30hp 3cyl 2stroke yammie on my 4.2 dory and can troll as slow as 2.5 kph,excellent motor!i hav no ptt or elec start but u can get as an extra.cheerz cameron