PDA

View Full Version : Felk trailers

ShaneC
03-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Anyone heard of them... good, bad or ugly???

Looking at a heap of trailers at the moment, luckily I have time so there is no rush to buy. Felks are just one of many in the fray at the moment, however I have never heard of them, can someone please shed some light??

Many thanks.

bassfan
03-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Hi ShaneC,

IMHO do not under any circumstances buy one of these trailers as the only good thing about them is the wheels. They are made (for want of a better term) by a mob near Newcastle, and I have bad memories of using a brand new (less than 1000km) "heavy duty" Felk trailer only to have it break in half on me where the drawbar meets the frame whilst towing at 100km/h......:o
I had it repaired to get me home and discovered they are made of very light gauge steel with substandard welding & poor design.

It later broke on me a second time in a different place,:o :o and that's when I spat the dummy at my boss to buy me a decent Marlin trailer, no problems with them.

To summarise Felks are cheap & nasty and I am surprised they are still in business as their products are downright dangerous.

Spend the bucks & buy quality, as most trailer boats sustain damage on the road rather than the water, and a good trailer will save you $ down the track.

goodluck
BF

White Pointer
03-02-2009, 08:19 PM
G'day from a fellow Redcliffer,

Never heard of Felk - and boy I've done some research.

What's going on it?

White Pointer

ShaneC
03-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Bassfan,

Thanks very much mate, I guess I'll keep looking. I certainly don't need hassles like you had!!

White Pointer, always good to hear from a fellow Redcliffian....I am going to put a 625 Cruise Craft Explorer on it. Basically I only want the trailer for a few trips away up north every year, the boat spends the rest of the time on an airdock which is so much better than trying to negotiate Scarby boat ramp on a busy arvo! Ideally I'd love to pick up a quality second hand boat trailer in real good nick with electric over hydraulic brakes set up, but I have been looking for a while with not too much joy. Or better still, hire a goodun for a few weeks a year, then I dont have the hassles of storing it.

Anyways, I'll strike Felks off my list.

Cheers

Shane

Bros
03-02-2009, 09:55 PM
To summarise Felks are cheap & nasty and I am surprised they are still in business as their products are downright dangerous.

They must be doing something right as their web site says they have been building boat trailers for 35 yrs.

Noelm
04-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Felk has been around for years, but like almost all "mass produced" trailers they are made as cheap as possible, the only true "heavy duty" trailers are the ones made almost as a one off by smaller companies.

squizzytaylor
04-02-2009, 10:28 AM
Just a couple of point from my dealings with felk, Felk are not mass produced they are made by a very small operator who is at Warners Bay NSW (close to Lake Macquarie and Newcastle). They would be lucky to produce 400-500 trailers a year at a guess. From experience most of the componentry used in the manufacture is cheap imported stuff (crap lights,taiwanese hubs and bearings, imported springs etc), I cant say I had any issues with the framework/galvanising etc though just the stuff that bolts and screws on. I have had 2 felk trailers, both were supplied with the boats I purchased as new and encountered the same issues on both, in the case of my 399 proline the dealer had chosen to supply a trailer that was clearly only just big enough for the boat.

Cheers
Geoff

This is them
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/squizzytaylor/felk.jpg

Noelm
04-02-2009, 10:35 AM
OK, so your idea of mass produced and mine are a tad different, 300- 400 per year is mass produced in my books, and I fully agree ( and I thought I conveyed that) just like any commercial (mass produced?) they need to be competiive, whether that is by cheap parts or whatever means, I was not implying that they are badly made or fall to bits, but making a point that they are just as good/bad as any of the others, unless a custom job is commisioned, in which case you will pay a lot more, but the end result is worth it (I reckon)

Noelm
04-02-2009, 10:38 AM
OH and I might add that a lot of trailer issues stem from the dealer trying to get the "package" as cheap as he can, not too many people look at the trailer, the shiny new Motor and hull make most see everything with Rose coloured glasses and the excitement of getting the new rig to the water is more important than if the trailer is suited to the next size Boat down, or does not have a spare tyre, or has a only handfull of rollers and Chinese bearings!!!

squizzytaylor
04-02-2009, 10:54 AM
No drama Noel, Im not having a go just trying to clarify a bit of info on a company I have had a bit of dealing with, my reply sounded like I was directly addressing you which wasnt my intention. I would consider the likes of Dunbier to be mass produced thats all (Im assuming they may knock out 20-30 a day possibly).
No offense intended.

Geoff

Mindi
04-02-2009, 11:00 AM
OH and I might add that a lot of trailer issues stem from the dealer trying to get the "package" as cheap as he can, not too many people look at the trailer, the shiny new Motor and hull make most see everything with Rose coloured glasses and the excitement of getting the new rig to the water is more important than if the trailer is suited to the next size Boat down, or does not have a spare tyre, or has a only handfull of rollers and Chinese bearings!!!

Spot on Noel...as an incurable researcher still on the road I can say that the trailer is easily the hardest of the three to research... it is virtually imposible to identify who uses....imported frames made in Thailand, Indian wheel hubs, indian and chinese bearings made from inferior material, other asian made cheap springs.....I asked one mfr who makes trailers you might think suitable for "Ocean" boats if their bearings and hubs were chinese and he said "whatever"....meaning ..." I can find plenty of customers who wont ask that.
I have decided on my hull and my motor but hardly any better off on trailers. I guess you can always go to a place like Belco and get what you pay for in a good sense..? I assume a package price will have a trailer inadequate for anything beyond the local ramp. Regular Daly R. trips just not recommended.

I actually ended up convincing myself that Mayfair make decent Redcos and Swiftco probably also OK...? but expect responses telling me horror stories showing I am wrong.

Chimo
04-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Not a horror story Mindi but I too am reasonably happy with my Tinka like Redco made by Mayfair.

The other well made trailer or they were until I sold it 10 yrs ago having bought it 9 yrs before that was the Mackay brand.

Somone should ask Blackjack and Blackjenny about Felk. They had Felk upspec a Tinka that they bought second hand that was too underdone for their also secondhand Seafarer. Theres a thread on here, from perhaps about 12months ago.

Cheers
Chimo

ShaneC
04-02-2009, 03:37 PM
I like the look of the Mayfairs also, and have had my boat on one for a trip and it was spot on. I just cant justify 10 grand (give or take) for a trailer thats only going to be used for three trips a year, and the rest of the time sit empty down the side of the house. One day I'll find a second handy someone doesnt want!!!!!

boys play
04-02-2009, 03:41 PM
When I bought my new boat/trailer package in 96, I found out later that the weight of the boat required brakes on the trailer (NSW) requirement, 850k if I remember rightly. The dealer knew it, and was not happy when I insisted it be changed. This was eventually done, and the trailer is the make to which you refer. It was trouble from day one, with the frame splitting, three sets of mudguards self destructing etc etc. I took it to an engineer for advice as to strengthening it, which I did, and also converted it to a dual axle. The gal frame is now showing rust, as are sections of the rhs and checkerplate I used in the strengthening process, but given how many times it has been drowned in the salt during the past 11 years, this is no surprise. Definitely cannot recommend the make, however I have towed the boat literally thousands of k's in the ensuing years, quite often overloaded with camping gear, touch wood, all is still well. I am convinced the overkill of dual axles has been the saviour, which ends up with a reasonable light ball weight and good road manners, although restricts manouvering in tight spots.
good luck
Ian

White Pointer
04-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Bassfan,

Thanks very much mate, I guess I'll keep looking. I certainly don't need hassles like you had!!

White Pointer, always good to hear from a fellow Redcliffian....I am going to put a 625 Cruise Craft Explorer on it. Basically I only want the trailer for a few trips away up north every year, the boat spends the rest of the time on an airdock which is so much better than trying to negotiate Scarby boat ramp on a busy arvo! Ideally I'd love to pick up a quality second hand boat trailer in real good nick with electric over hydraulic brakes set up, but I have been looking for a while with not too much joy. Or better still, hire a goodun for a few weeks a year, then I dont have the hassles of storing it.

Anyways, I'll strike Felks off my list.

Cheers

Shane

G'day again,

I think you might be stiff finding anything good second-hand and I haven't heard of boat trailer hiring. The set up of a trailer for launch and retrieve and axle balance for towing etc make all suggestions of anything other than a permanent rig too problematic to contemplate.

When I was making my research I visited two places that really gave me good advice even though they probably wouldn't get the sale. One was Northside Marine on Sandgate Road near Deagan and the other was RM Trailers on Anzac Avenue at Kippa-Ring - but I think they have moved. RM Trailer are/were OE suppliers to Polycraft.

Regards,

White Pointer

squizzytaylor
04-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Rm Trailers ceased to be in the last couple of months.

GT

Fishbait
04-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Shane - give Neil at Belco Custom Trailers a call. Address is 248 Leitchs Rd, Brendale - Ph. 3205 7955. They make a very nice trailer - go and have a look. Had mine serviced there today as well - great team. Cheers mate, Darren.

White Pointer
04-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Rm Trailers ceased to be in the last couple of months.

GT

G'day,

It's a shame when people who build good product and give good advice freely get squashed by market conditions that are beyond their control.

That's a reference I guess.

White Pointer

squizzytaylor
05-02-2009, 06:27 AM
G'day,

It's a shame when people who build good product and give good advice freely get squashed by market conditions that are beyond their control.

That's a reference I guess.

White Pointer

very true White Pointer, as a former Poly owner I had an RM Trailer and the thing was fantastic and by far the most user friendly trailer I have ever owned. To be honest RM had started to go down the cheap import road to a degree but as stated previously this was a market trend as opposed to a profit gaining and self serving move. I myself had rang them on a few occasions over different things and the co-operation and help extended was great. Lets hope not too many more of these guys go down in the current economic crap.

Geoff

brrbear
07-02-2009, 10:15 PM
very true White Pointer, as a former Poly owner I had an RM Trailer and the thing was fantastic and by far the most user friendly trailer I have ever owned. To be honest RM had started to go down the cheap import road to a degree but as stated previously this was a market trend as opposed to a profit gaining and self serving move. I myself had rang them on a few occasions over different things and the co-operation and help extended was great. Lets hope not too many more of these guys go down in the current economic crap.

Geoff
hi geoff did u have problems with the poly or just upgraded

chris_s
07-02-2009, 10:55 PM
See if you can hang in there for a while shane, i will be putting my multi-roller trailer up for sale in the near future. At the moment i have a 6.5 platey on it.

squizzytaylor
08-02-2009, 06:51 AM
hi geoff did u have problems with the poly or just upgraded

I loved the poly but was made redundant just before christmas so priorities came in to play and we made the decision to sell the boat and re-asses our situation down the track. I couldnt have been happier with the boat though and would thoroughly recomend to anyone.

Geoff

Croc Dundee
28-03-2017, 12:22 PM
G'day Shane, dunno what all the hoo-ha is from the lads. Bought my new 18’ footer from FELK last week for my Quinny 530 and found them awesome to deal with 8-) My neighbour has been using them for years and swears black and blue by them!!! I see them on the road all the time around Newy so assume they must be doing something right?!?

Support the Aussies & local manufacturing ;D

Croc Dundee
28-03-2017, 12:41 PM
Where the fish at gents? Hit me up!!! ;D

Cheers,

Dundeeee
(Mick)

Aussie123
28-03-2017, 03:23 PM
Good plug for an 8 year old thread, lol

G'day Shane, dunno what all the hoo-ha is from the lads. Bought my new 18’ footer from FELK last week for my Quinny 530 and found them awesome to deal with 8-) My neighbour has been using them for years and swears black and blue by them!!! I see them on the road all the time around Newy so assume they must be doing something right?!?

Support the Aussies & local manufacturing ;D