PDA

View Full Version : Tilapia in NPD

Matt Armo
03-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Hey guys,

I am looking for a source of fresk fish flesh as food for my turtles and I thought I might try and contribute back to the local environment at the same time and eradicate some tilapia.

Does anyone know any good spots at North Pine Dam for catching tilapia and also what is the best method/baits? Do they take plastics like gulp?

Thanks Matt

Little grey men
04-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Anywhere in North Pine really. I don't come across that many anymore...which is a good thing. They don't really hit plastics that much. Kurwongbah might be worth a look if your after tilapia.
Worms seem to do the trick.

Matt Armo
04-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks Lgm, I'll give Kurwongbah a try on worms.

black_sheep
04-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Word of warning mate - if you found taking tilapia home (even if it's not destined for the table), fisheries can fine you.

Tilapia MUST be destroyed and dumped as soon as possible. You may want to research it further but pretty sure it's illegal to take them home.

If you use worms at NPD, you should get plenty of spangled perch for your turtles.

If you really want to catch tilapia, pm me and I will give a spot where they thick as.

CreelReaper
05-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Hey Matt,
It is illegal to keep any pest or noxious fish. Have a read at the DPI website mate. Hope this helps.

http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/1406.html

Shane

Matt Armo
05-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Looks like it's spangled perch for the turtles. Thanks guys. matt