PDA

View Full Version : Propellor Advice - Tohatsu 50hp

b j p
03-02-2009, 01:48 PM
G'day guys,Did a bit of a search but couldn't find much info related to what i'm looking for. I have a Stacer Seahorse 469 with a 2-Stroke 50hp. I put a ding in the prop after an altercation with a rock recently and am looking to replace it.Firstly, I'm fairly happy with the prop on it. It was on it when I got the boat. How can you tell what size, pitch it is?Secondly, I'm looking for recommendations as to make and size/pitch of prop I should be running.The Tohatsu dealer says 11x13.5 @ $150.00. Can anyone comment on the appropriateness of this and the price.I fish by myself 95% of the time and generally travel from Pt Cleveland to Stradbroke. Manufacturer says RPM range of the motor is 5150-5850. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Blackened
03-02-2009, 02:16 PM
G'day

Ok, this is what I believe with my semi limited knowledge of props.

Was or is your engine revving out around the middle of the recommended max rpm?

The sizing of the prop will be stamped somewhere on the exterior of the hub usually, or maybe just inside the lip.

Was your current setup planing easily enough? Feel good mid range and wot?

If in doubt, have a chat with solas, they will guide you as to your best prop for the situation and can price you up as well

Dave

b j p
03-02-2009, 02:28 PM
It is currently on the upper end if not slightly over those figures. Maybe peak at 6000rpm.

It has a foil on it and with the motor trimmed in, planes fine with me by myself or with up to 5 people. Get a bit nose up with just me unless the motor is trimmed all the way in.

Seems quick as it is, possibly mid 20's. Nothing to measure it by though.

I have emailed Solas.

Blackened
03-02-2009, 02:32 PM
G'day

Do you have a tacho or are you guessing those figures?

Is your engine at the correct height?

Dave

b j p
03-02-2009, 03:05 PM
RPM Gauge.

Motor was fitted by Northside Marine, so I would hope so.