PDA

View Full Version : Falling overboard and pfds

juju
01-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Because i fish solo allot ive always had a bit of a worry about falling overboard (eg your leaning over the boat kicks...a side on wave ..whatever) ...having a lifejacket on all the time isent something thats going to happen...not confortable (but i do have the good ones , not the "basic safety kit "garbage...) i was thinking of inflatable ones....moreso i was looking at the vest type....not sure about the fleece...but 90% of my fishing is in winter and early/nite anyway..so heat shouldnt be a problem...just after any feedback....thinking of getting a marlin one..about $180
http://www.whitworths.com.au/products/18440_lg.jpg

Noelm
02-02-2009, 09:12 AM
so what are you asking?

Dirtysanchez
02-02-2009, 09:28 AM
I would reckon the BO factor would be nasty with one like in your pic, you can get some that are inflatable but you can wear all the time and they are more compact & wouldn't be too uncomfortable..

juju
02-02-2009, 10:46 AM
so what are you asking?

I was just after any feedback on either that type or the normal inflatable type....just pros and cons....i should have added in the first post that i cant swim very well at all, hence was its been on my mind...im going to have a look at some this arvo, with the normal type i was wondering if the straps were anoying..which was i was looking at the vest type

Noelm
02-02-2009, 10:55 AM
OH, OK, I would be thinking that if you can't swim, then an inflatible one may be of concern, better off to put up with some discomfort than have to worry about inflating something if you fall in (maybe)

the gecko
02-02-2009, 11:39 AM
I prefer the inflatable vest type. I wear a drizabone over them in winter if Im in choppy waters at night.

The decision is whether to go for an auto inflate one, or a manual inflate. An auto is good if you get hit on the head and fall over unconcious. A manual is good if the boat overturns and youre stuck under the hull, then you can swim out and inflate.

Horses for courses. I went for manual.

Andrew

peterbo3
02-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Hi Greg,
If you fish on the drift, a PFD is not really going to help if you are a poor swimmer & the boat is drifting away. Could I suggest running a 15M line out the back to a 150mm ball. That way you have a means of getting back to the boat.
The auto inflate PFDs can inflate if they get wet. I have the manuals. Less to go wrong.

aussiebasser
02-02-2009, 12:21 PM
If you cannot swim you should look at autoinflate. They will be expensive, but Mustang aoto's only inflate if they are immersed in water. The won't inflate due to rain or moisture. If you fell into a cold ocean would you be confident that you could find the inflation handle and pull it, maybe when it's inside your jacket. Rember the old Bell ad's. If you've got a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet. Personally, I'd buy a proper yachting PFD with collar etc. not as comfortable, but you have a much better chance of surviving.

juju
02-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Hi Greg,
If you fish on the drift, a PFD is not really going to help if you are a poor swimmer & the boat is drifting away. Could I suggest running a 15M line out the back to a 150mm ball. That way you have a means of getting back to the boat.
The auto inflate PFDs can inflate if they get wet. I have the manuals. Less to go wrong.
as a matter of fact i do that with my burley cage....it runs from the rear of the boat ...back to a float and then down....and thats why ive always did it that way..

http://www.whitworths.com.au/products/18384_lg.jpg....it just a case of the the vest type or this style...i think ill try them on and see what feels right..

JT
02-02-2009, 12:54 PM
I use the auto inflate RFD harness style PDF1. I do a fair bit of fishing solo as well as ABT comps where wearing a PDF1 is required when the boat is on the plane. I find them very comfortable and not a pain to have on for hours at a time. They are a nice bit of piece of mind if ever I take a tumble and hit my head on the way out of the boat.

I got mine from Bias for around $180.00 but that was a couple of years ago. They should be a bit better priced than that now. Just remember you need to have them serviced every 12 months for them to be legal. I have mine in the boat all the time as well as other PFD1's so even if I let the servicing go more than 12 months I am still covered by law with the amount of PFD's on board.

Just a quick question to all those who fish solo - How many of you remeber to wear your engine kill switch when under way ?? Be nothing worse than falling out of your boat and seeing it drive away from you at a great rate of knots.

Cheers

John

oldboot
02-02-2009, 01:06 PM
if you have money to throw arround there are plenty of options.

the problem with the vest in the ortiginal thread is that it has to be zipped up to function properly.

one of the standard inflatables is probaly a better option.

There are all sorts of very serious yachting jackets with inbuilt PFD in them but they all seem to assume foul weather and cold climate.

I have yet to see a warm climate vest with PFD included....something like a photographers or hunting vest with pockets and the like.

All of my clothes have pockets and I keep stuff in them, one of the beefs I have with most PFD's is that they obstruct access to pockets and belt mounted gear and provide no storage in themselves

I am going thu the same issues ( thought I can swim)......I think I will end up with an inflatable.... probaly a hutchwilco.

regardless of what PFD you end up with.....learning to swim would be a good idea......I am sure there are a few swim schools that would do it on the quiet.

cheers

FNQCairns
02-02-2009, 01:21 PM
I have had the auto inflate vests go off on me a few times, it's enough to poop your pants! when unexpected, getting drenched for a while straight can cause it or a slosh the wrong way up, they are very comfortable. I am a strong swimmer but very scared of ending up in the water without the way-with-all to do what might be necessary because of an inflated vest, neither depth nor waves scare me typically so my choice would be a manual.

But if i couldn't swim well then quite possibly the auto would suit better if at least only for the piece of mind.

cheers fnq

the gecko
02-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Hi JT,
hows it goin?
thats a good point on kill switches, mine isnt setup properly yet. Is that the long red squigly cable tied to my keyring?

Where should it be attached to, the motor, the keys, or me?

cheers
Andrew

1lastcast
02-02-2009, 02:23 PM
go down the pub every night an drink 10 beers then have a steak and chips and several more beers , after a couple of months you wont require any vest as you will float anyway !:P

but seriously i have the manual inflate one but honestly i generally only use it for bar crossings !

oldboot
02-02-2009, 02:41 PM
go down the pub every night an drink 10 beers then have a steak and chips and several more beers , after a couple of months you wont require any vest as you will float anyway !:P

Yeh but then you have to steer clear of japanees shipping or you could get caught up in their scientific research;D .

cheers

seabug
02-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Because i fish solo allot ive always had a bit of a worry about falling overboard (eg your leaning over the boat kicks...a side on wave ..whatever) ...having a lifejacket on all the time isent something thats going to happen...not confortable (but i do have the good ones , not the "basic safety kit "garbage...) i was thinking of inflatable ones....moreso i was looking at the vest type....not sure about the fleece...but 90% of my fishing is in winter and early/nite anyway..so heat shouldnt be a problem...just after any feedback....thinking of getting a marlin one..about $180
http://www.whitworths.com.au/products/18440_lg.jpg

Hi juju,
One thing to beware of is to make sure that it is comfortable when inflated.

A friend recently offered me his S/S jacket to try on.
It was extremely comfortable

But then he set it off and the jacket was so tight that I could hardly breathe,and my arms were sticking straight out sideways.

There is no way I could have even dog-paddled in it ,my shoulders were clamped tight.

Does anyone know if it is possible to try the jackets by manually inflating them before buying.
I think that they would have to be a loose fit uninflated ,to be able to move about when inflated.

I am in your position.
4.75m boat=All occupants must wear PDF1's when underway or drifting.
I wear an ordinary ,vest and collar type PDF1 and find it ok

Regards
seabug

John Buoy
02-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Gday Juju I use the Stomy Seas sleevless vest manual inflator
I wear em all the time and after a few trips you wont even know
you got it on.
I recommend you wear a t shirt underneath.
http://www.marinesafe.com.au/Lifejackets/stormy%20seas/v200.html

Regards frank

Chimo
02-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Can you get smaller auto inflation unit for phones?

Thats something that I'd like to see and it would be really handy!

Chimo

John Buoy
02-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Can you get smaller auto inflation unit for phones?

Thats something that I'd like to see and it would be really handy!

Chimo

Maybe one of these;D

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=2826&search123=mobile+phone+case&intAbsolutePage=1

JT
03-02-2009, 05:46 AM
Hi JT,
hows it goin?
thats a good point on kill switches, mine isnt setup properly yet. Is that the long red squigly cable tied to my keyring?

Where should it be attached to, the motor, the keys, or me?

cheers
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Been good, not fishing enough but that's normal. How's H Bay?

The lanyard should be attached from the kill switch directly to you. So, god forbid, should you ever exit the boat while the engine is running, the kill switch will activate and stop the engine. I attach mine to a shackle on my PFD when I am solo and when not solo and I remember to use it :( it just goes around my wrist. The first time you try it, test that it works, pull on the lanyard and see if the engine stops when it comes away.

Cheers

John

juju
03-02-2009, 11:45 AM
I ended up getting this one...it felt the best on...$89 on sale
http://www.whitworths.com.au/products/18343_lg.jpg

Crunchy
04-02-2009, 12:33 PM
I undid the velcro on my manual inflating PFD and placed a "safety sausage" inside (An orange plastic tube that can be filled with air (Manually) and sticks out of the water about 2 meters...makes it much easier for any potential rescuer to spot you floating around in the ocean). I always carry one on me now......a big squall came through on one particular dive trip and the boat got blown way off the dive area, they had no idea where we were and got into a big panic, but spotted us as soon as the SS was deployed...very cheap way to add a little extra safety...how often do you hear "We could see the planes but they could not see us" ..... available from all dive stores...prolly best used in conjunction with a personal epirb...speaking of which, do any solo fishers carry PLB's on their actual person?

GBC
04-02-2009, 01:33 PM
You do know that both the manual and auto inflate vests then require manual inflation at regular intervals whilst in the water? Not easy to do as anyone who's done solas training will attest.

I wear a decent hutchwilco pfd1 at all times when I'm solo outside and for bar crossings. I've never found it uncomfortale.

Best of all I know the bastard is going to float and continue to float indefinitely.;)

I agree on the sausage. I also have sea dye and a sea blitz (strobe) in the bail out kit.

ratbag's
04-02-2009, 02:40 PM
down in Vic we have to wear a PFD1 in any boat under 4.8mtr. Most estuary guys use the manual inflate PFD1, a few that cross the bar use the self inflate type. Have a look at www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=18287&search123=pfd&intAbsolutePage=2 (http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=18287&search123=pfd&intAbsolutePage=2)
they are comfortable to wear in any weather. Prices vary depending on the brand. A replacement gas bulb is about $30. buy a common known brand as you will always get replacement bulbs.

I fish alone a lot, I have manual inflate anyone else coming out, auto inflate for when I out alone.
Cheers,
Ratbag.