PDA

View Full Version : Weather Question

kercus
01-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Hi,all. 8-)
Is there any scientific evidence to suggest a correlation between the phase of the moon and the weather?:-/
I have heard suggestions that around the full and new moons, particularly in summer, we should expect strong winds.

Does this theory have any basis in science?
Thank you, in advance, for any information.
Kerry 8-)

kercus
01-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Hi, again.
I should add that I am referring to S.E. Qld. coastal areas.
Kerry :)

yellowbeard
04-02-2009, 05:21 AM
Last year I had to do a course in weather (got a nice certificate to hang in the toilet and all). Since weather greatly affects every human on the planet, this should be a subject of the great interest. However because my brain is very reluctant to deal with evolving or non-exacting sciences I spent most of my class-time like Homer Simpson, thinking about eating potato chips at home and trying to keep a mental note of how much beer was in the fridge.
Occasionally I'd snap from my delirium and hear a snatch of the lecture and nod like I was conscious. Since the moon affects tidal movement (and I do recall hearing that they are also affected by the sun) it is possible to predict long-term tidal movement over vast areas. But weather differs even over short areas and can be caused by factors which come from far off. So it would be a vastly inexact science to predict weather based on a constant like the moon movements wherin any number of local factors like high and low pressure zones would be working totally against those predictions.

oldboot
04-02-2009, 10:13 AM
While i don't believe there is any hard and fast simple reationship between the moon and weather, there has to be effects.

I tend to believe that new weather paterns come thru with the changing moons.

If the moon is pulling arround the water it will also be pulling arround the air and the clouds.....I don't believe the relationship is as simple as the tides though.

The moon seems to be the predominating influence on the tides.....I seem to think the sun is the predominating influence on the weather.

cheers

uglyfish
04-02-2009, 10:28 AM
you generally get storms on or around a full moon in summer...30 day cycle

sandbankmagnet
04-02-2009, 12:12 PM
how often do you see cyclones hit or flooding ocur in conjunction with a "king tide". Not just a storm surge, but huge tides.

yellowbeard
05-02-2009, 05:31 AM
you generally get storms on or around a full moon in summer...30 day cycle

Hello Mr Uglyfish, Like I indicated I barely passed my Weather cert and had to copy a lot of stuff from the 8-year-old sitting next to me to scrape through. But my understanding of the phases of the moon is that they are hemispherical. People in different countries do see variations in the light that we see reflected by the moon (phases). But I reckon Australia pretty much sees the same full moon all over the continent. So if a full moon meant storms in the afternoon, then that would have to be the same all over Australia -- even in drought affected areas. That's why I'm skeptical.

cuzzamundi
05-02-2009, 07:38 AM
Interesting discussion. I personally reckon that in theory it could actually have an effect, as the moon creates the tides, which effect ocean currents, and ocean currents can effect weather. It may also have an effect on the atmosphere, but dunno if it'd be cancelled out by other factors at work which are borne of the sun. Great topic.
Cuzza

dogsbody
05-02-2009, 05:55 PM
I think that the weekend has more of a bearing on weather. Come w/end,,,, come crap weather.

Dave

onerabbit
05-02-2009, 06:11 PM
I think that the weekend has more of a bearing on weather. Come w/end,,,, come crap weather.

Dave

This is the first time I have felt like I have had an endless weekend.....................

Muzz

oldboot
06-02-2009, 09:11 AM
I have to agree that OFTEN full moon sees high swells and more wind. but I do not believe that it is a given.

My expectation is that the moon influences otherwise caused wheather systems.

So iff there is bad stuff blowing it is likley to be worse arround the full moon and the king tide.

Likewise if it is all calm it is possible to be glassed out more with a full moon.

I recon because the moon has taken the bad stuff somewhere else;D

cheers

Dignity
06-02-2009, 06:26 PM
I summer, almost always bad weather around full moon although there are exceptions like when it is mid week as per dogsbody. Another common myth is when the crescent of the moon is turned upwards (like a tea suacer on its side) then it will rain but if it ismore in the bottom then it wont rain, if you get my drift. I think it is mostly old wives tales so I think yellow beard (dont you hate 8 yr olds) has prety well got it.