PDA

View Full Version : Selling your own bait?

tailorboi99
01-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Hi all, me and a few mates have an idea of selling bait we catch in our nets. Is this possible? Also who would buy it?

Prices would be like 30c per live mullet etc.. We'd sell them at local boat ramps.

Tom

bushbeachboy
01-02-2009, 04:57 PM
You might need some sort of licence to do that Tom. Possibly from the local council. You might also run into some govt resistance as you have gone from rec to pro fisherman. You would probably get a bad reception from the regular pro fisherman. If you get labelled a pro fisherman, do you then need a licence for that? Or your boat in survey?

That's all the bad stuff I can think of, but it's only my thoughts about possibilities.

seahound
01-02-2009, 05:03 PM
In order to sell any fisheries resources, you need what is known as a buyers licence.

As you stated you wish to catch the bait, you'll also be needing a commercial fishing licence with an endorsement to use apparatus to catch bait coupled with a commercial fishermans licence permitting.

As you're in Brisssy, QLD Boating & Fisheries Patrol in either Pinkenbah or Redlands will give you further info...or check out QLD DPI's fishweb.

www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb (http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb)

if you do catch & sell without authority, you 'black-marketting'...

tailorboi99
01-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks, I wouldn't want to be classed as a 'Pro Fisherman' it's just we want to make some more money.

Tom

Moonlighter
01-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Tom

You WILL need a licence to catch (a professional fishing licfence) and sell fish from DPIF before you even think of doing this. May be costly and not easy to obtain.

If you catch and sell or otherwise profit from fish without the appropriate licences you will be breaking the law and will be prosecuted. So although I understand that you might think it would be a great way for kids to make a few bucks to pay for fishing expenses, don't do it.

ML

finga
01-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Thanks, I wouldn't want to be classed as a 'Pro Fisherman' it's just we want to make some more money.

Tom
It'll be best if you got a job at BCF or Woolies or Macca's if you want some more cash.
You could 'annoy' the pro guys pretty easily I reckon and you wouldn't want to do that. :-/

tailorboi99
01-02-2009, 05:15 PM
I can't work at BCF yet I don't think, need to be 14 and 9months I thought. Might apply at Woolies though,

Tom

samson
01-02-2009, 05:26 PM
You need the correct licence and a master fisherman's licence to run that licence and if fishing out of a boat you will need a coxwain or eqivalent and to sell to the public you will require a buyers licence and all these licences cost money have requirements and need seatime and courses to acheive but all that means little if your not 18 as you won't be old enough to qualify.

But do it the wrong way and it would be a short career path fisheries will confiscate your gear and you will be prosecuted, in your case i guess as a juvinial.

tailorboi99
01-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Thanks for that Samson, this idea isn't looking to good then.

Tom

kokomo
01-02-2009, 06:13 PM
yeah no way.. will need a range of licences etc...

tailorboi99
01-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Ok, guessing this question is all cleared..

Thanks for all this information guys,
saved us getting into a lot of trouble by the looks of it.

disorderly
01-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Its a cool idea Tom, for a young fella but the regulatory authorities will not be happy...nor the pro's as their prices are somewhat determined by the level of overheads,licences,tax's etc and then they have to turn a profit and support their families...

There was a young fella just north of here who set up a little enterprise whereby ( obviously with a little help from his old man ) he had a bunch of tanks and troughs under an old queenslander,that were full of Mud Cod...these are the gun live bait and very sought after by Barra fisho's....

Anyway he was catching quite large quantities of these fish in the nearby creeks and he had a sign out on the main road and was selling them for a couple of bucks each...I called in one day and bought quite a few to release into a dam that I had recently stocked with barra fingerlings ...he had quite a setup and had heaps of fish and apparently the business was becoming so successful that he had fished out the local creeks that were accessible by pushbike and his parents were having to drive him further afield to plunder other creeks and holes..

However next time I went to get some more the sign was gone and the booming little business had ceased to exist....

Like some of the other guys have suggested stick to legal means for pocket money...you are far to young to be involved in blackmarket activities..;);D

Scott

Greg P
01-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Goes to show what a regulated world we live. Bad luck Tom , rules are rules these days but when I was a young bloke I was selling yabbies during xmas hols on the yabbie banks across from Loders Creek caravan park on the Goldy. Made enough for a few things I wanted to buy for my BMX bike (set of Tuffs 8-)8-)). No shortage of customers either.

Cheers

Greg

Chamelion
01-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Borrow your old mans mower and do some door knocking... Cash in the hand :)

Matt.

deepfried
01-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Goes to show what a regulated world we live.

Getting really side tracked now but i thought we lived in the " lucky country " but that tag doesnt seem to fit much anymore. Regulations for everything we like doing or used to do, like fire works damn i miss them and would love to have a fire works night for my young son at home. Being a young fella now keeps getting harder and harder hey Tom. To many uni degree dead heads around in power trying to change the world for the better.

I feel better now

Scott

wilcara
01-02-2009, 07:15 PM
If you KNEW a few fisherpeoples...... maybe you could just quietly spread the word to them????? So when they had a trip planned let you know and: "Voila!" There you are all of a sudden with some fresh bait and they could throw you a tip for being so fortuitous.

SummerTrance
01-02-2009, 07:23 PM
To earn cash when i was a young whipper snapper, we used to doorknock the neighbourhood and offer to wash peoples cars for 5 bucks.

struktcha_man
01-02-2009, 07:31 PM
yeah mate if your going to do it, do it on the quiet

I doubt you would do any harm but you see if 1 person does it there is nothing to stop some peeps coming along with a large scale bait catching operation and running amok.

If it was just relegated to young guys making a few dollars then it would be sweet, but somone would take advantage and before you knew it there would be all sorts of funny bussiness going on making big dollars from it guaranteed.

cheers

disorderly
01-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Goes to show what a regulated world we live. Bad luck Tom , rules are rules these days but when I was a young bloke I was selling yabbies during xmas hols on the yabbie banks across from Loders Creek caravan park on the Goldy. Made enough for a few things I wanted to buy for my BMX bike (set of Tuffs 8-)8-)). No shortage of customers either.

Cheers

Greg

Interesting Greg that you should take that chaotic point of view....would have thought you would be encouraging youngsters to follow the straight and narrow...

However, like yourself,I've been involved in the odd blackmarket activity over the years...and its cool whilst on a small or experimental scale but unfortunately some people can become quite greedy and thus problems can evolve on many levels...

I,presumably,like yourself certainly do not want to discourage such entrepreneurial pursuits in our youngsters but at the same time our resources are ever diminishing and we need to be mindful that many of us law abiding citizens,due to the ever-increasing costs of these "regulations",need to survive in an increasingly competitive world and unfortunately whoever it is that wants to bypass these regulations and avoid paying taxes and buying licences ,is basically taking money out of genuine business peoples pockets...

My personal income has diminished somewhat lately by ebay sellers who, one in particular that I personally know(a single guy with no wife or children) is undercutting my prices on similar items and not declaring his income to centerlink ,while accepting the dole..he has actually bragged to me about the money he is making..(several grand a month on top of dole payments )...

It gets a bit hard to swallow sometimes...

Scott

Greg P
01-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Scott - yeah that would not go down too well with me either. I suppose I just see a large difference between a kid wanting to get a bit of cash to buy something than someone that intends to make a business of it but it is a fine line these days especially with all the "service" industries we now have cause people are too busy or lazy. The guys that run mowing services etc would not appreciate a young bloke taking their customers either.

Hard call.

mowerman
01-02-2009, 07:50 PM
You can have a few of my customers mate.

Like a lizard at the moment.

Rain= money fallin from the sky.

Rod

jtpython
01-02-2009, 08:03 PM
The joys of time . I remember when i was a young fella
. But like one of the guys said grab a lawn mower and start there mate. Couple guys i know breed rats and mice to sell to pet stores that may be an avenue for couple extra bucks but with so many do gooders ruining everything the good old day are gone where you can say to a mate hey i got a couple bags of crabpot bait sling me a redback and it's yours LOL

mik01
01-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Scott - yeah that would not go down too well with me either. I suppose I just see a large difference between a kid wanting to get a bit of cash to buy something than someone that intends to make a business of it but it is a fine line these days especially with all the "service" industries we now have cause people are too busy or lazy. The guys that run mowing services etc would not appreciate a young bloke taking their customers either.

Hard call.

mate - you are spot on here...

we're talking about a 14yr old kid who is taking an initiative to earn a few $$ pocket money. and a heap of blokes have shot him down and nay sayed what a lot of you did when you were a kid.

as for the pros - who gives a rats arse? how much business can a 14yr old kid take from a pro? he would most probably only be able to devote his time to it on the school holidays, so very limited to how much impact he could have.

to run a lawn mowing business, you need insurance and a certificate of business registration (at least). likewise to run a dog wash, car wash etc.

so are we saying this kid would need to have insurance and a registered business to mow lawns otherwise he could be in trouble with the authorities???

gee its a damn shame that kids cant be kids anymore - and we wonder why obesity, stress etc affects our kids so much these days - we are trying to make them grown up before they are ready.

I say go for it kid - just learn not to ask questions of adults - we have all become brainwashed by this regulated society and no longer are able to live free.

disorderly
01-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Nice one Dolphin boy...

I used to spend many afternoons as a child on the family property on the Gywdir River running 8-10 set lines and a fish trap....it was accepted practice at the time...

Was great at the time but would I do it now or encourage my kids or others to pursue it....HELL NO...

Sometimes we have to leave the past behind and change with the times...

Great argument though Mik....., kids need to poach or resort to illegal activities in order to not get fat or avoid stress ....far out mate ..go chomp on another cheeseburger...::):(

mik01
01-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Nice one Dolphin boy...

I used to spend many afternoons as a child on the family property on the Gywdir River running 8-10 set lines and a fish trap....it was accepted practice at the time...

Was great at the time but would I do it now or encourage my kids or others to pursue it....HELL NO...

Sometimes we have to leave the past behind and change with the times...

Great argument though Mik....., kids need to poach or resort to illegal activities in order to not get fat or avoid stress ....far out mate ..go chomp on another cheeseburger...::):(

yep - thanks for paraphrasing exactly what I said Scott. trust you to take my comments to the extreme - just for the sake of disagreeing. ::)

its sad that someone can't let an argument go, on an online forum, that must date back - what - 6mths?

grow up and move on with your life Scott. but I take it as a compliment that I am so important in your life that you cannot get over a little argy bargy from way back...

you're a stange fish mate.

oh, and by the way - pls don't send me any more pm's either - I'll just ignore them like the other ones...

Synful
01-02-2009, 08:53 PM
My personal income has diminished somewhat lately by ebay sellers who, one in particular that I personally know(a single guy with no wife or children) is undercutting my prices on similar items and not declaring his income to centerlink ,while accepting the dole..he has actually bragged to me about the money he is making..(several grand a month on top of dole payments )...

It gets a bit hard to swallow sometimes...

Scott

So much for the Government cross referencing bank accounts etc. to catch fraudulent people ripping them off...

Good to see my tax dollars at work!!:-/

disorderly
01-02-2009, 09:11 PM
you're a stange fish mate.

Stange indeed...::)...I actually thanked you for a link you provided and then subsequently let you know it had been removed by the moderators...

and sorry you dont have a sense of humour about that dolphin thing...:( maybe you should lighten up a bit..

Also my feelings on people who dont contribute to society through legal means have nothing to do with you and I disagree with you in this instance on principle alone,certainly not because of who you think you are....::)

Scott

disorderly
01-02-2009, 09:34 PM
So much for the Government cross referencing bank accounts etc. to catch fraudulent people ripping them off...

Good to see my tax dollars at work!!:-/

Andrew it appears not to work unless somebody actually is actually being looked at or investigated ...or maybe on such a big scale that a red flag is raised and someone notices.....

I think that there is a hell of a lot of black money derived from ebay and the likes...its a huge new frontier where the rules are being made up as it evolves... as for cross referencing bank accounts,social security no's etc ...isnt that just a scare tactic to try and keep people honest??

mik01
01-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Stange indeed...::)...I actually thanked you for a link you provided and then subsequently let you know it had been removed by the moderators...

and sorry you dont have a sense of humour about that dolphin thing...:( maybe you should lighten up a bit..

Also my feelings on people who dont contribute to society through legal means have nothing to do with you and I disagree with you in this instance on principle alone,certainly not because of who you think you are....::)

Scott

we must have read different pms then - its very strange when you 'thank' someone without saying thanks

I have a sense of humour about a great many things, and I can take a personal dig - from my mates who know me. but when you're taking the piss out of a person you don't know, in a way thats not nice, then I have a huge problem with it.

you don't know me - you're taking the piss personally - I don't have to put up with it...

nuff said.

Synful
01-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Andrew it appears not to work unless somebody actually is actually being looked at or investigated ...or maybe on such a big scale that a red flag is raised and someone notices.....

I think that there is a hell of a lot of black money derived from ebay and the likes...its a huge new frontier where the rules are being made up as it evolves... as for cross referencing bank accounts,social security no's etc ...isnt that just a scare tactic to try and keep people honest??

Not really sure Scott; Governments the world over have the reputation of being years behind technology and the ability to utilise it, so it wouldn't surprise me.

I've said it before in other forums; the previous two Governments have had complete morons for communications ministers, this Labor government appears to be continuing this tradition.

That being said, the Government is presently trying to find money from every possible location - so they may actually bother to cross reference in the not too distant future...

disorderly
01-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Fair enough..Mik...Sorry,I'll quit the dolphin jokes...honestly had no idea it bothered you,that much...I meant no malice....However I'll retain the right to my own opinions and warped sense of humour....

Scott

disorderly
01-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Not really sure Scott; Governments the world over have the reputation of being years behind technology and the ability to utilise it, so it wouldn't surprise me.

I've said it before in other forums; the previous two Governments have had complete morons for communications ministers, this Labor government appears to be continuing this tradition.

That being said, the Government is presently trying to find money from every possible location - so they may actually bother to cross reference in the not too distant future...

In the case I cited, the guy has been selling on ebay on a weekly basis for a number of years while sometimes working but now on the dole...he has ramped up business this last year but must be filling in false forms or something as I'm sure he would have to declare his earnings and bank accounts...but as he told me and it can be verified by looking at his feedback, his earnings are now in thousands a month and he declares nothing to social security or the tax office......

I dont know how it can happen for so long!...but sooner or later I'd think the shit would hit the fan and it would not be a pretty situation for him...

Scott

Apollo
02-02-2009, 06:50 AM
See what you have done Tom! Stirred up a debate on the government action or lack there of against dole cheats, reincarnated a seemingly old 'fued', brought up memories of 'when I was a boy' for a few older guys and reminded Rod (Mowerman) of while he can't go fishing. Not bad - just by asking a simple question about selling a few poddy mullets. Let this be a lesson to you - don't trust adults to keep on track - we have been too corrupted by life. Enjoy being a kid for as long as possible and good on you for wanting to find a way to earn a few bucks by looking outside the square.

Best of luck.

finga
02-02-2009, 07:18 AM
All I can say is that it's a shame how the world has grown.
As a young fella (around 10) my mates and I used to catch gar in the Richmond River at Lismore and sell them to old Sid Elphik (sorry if the spelling is wrong) who had a bait shop in Whyralla Rd.
We got 10c for 3 of them then and as a comparison a tyre for the deadly treadly was about $2.20.
But that was long before licenses and permits and all that garbage.
Then I used to pump petrol (when I was 14-17) when the servo's had people at the pumps. I got a whopping $17 for a Saturday :D
And then I used to carry bread rolls down 2 flights of steps all night at the bakery in Nth. Lismore all to get a little bit of pocket money.

The sad part about Tom's predicament is that it seems he's a go getter but according to the law he's too young to get a legit job but when you go to a lot of shops the kids working there seem too lazy, tired or just not interested to do something for their money.
Just doesn't make sense to me.

Has anybody taken notice Tom's posts??
He seems like a decent young person to me.
Hell, I'd employ Tom just because he does not write in SMS talk.
You can actually write full words and join then together to make a sentence.
Good on ya Tom :thumbsup:

Anyways if your on the southside I reckon I could swing some money for odd jobs about the house like washing the dog or mowing the lawn just like I do for any kid who has the courage to knock on our door asking if there's any odd jobs needing to be done.
Just knock on the doors of people you know though because there are some sicko's about that'll take advantage of a young go-getter like you Tom.
Like I said...sometimes the times we now live in are very sad indeed.

tailorboi99
02-02-2009, 07:29 AM
Thanks for all this guys, very good read.

Tom

peterbo3
02-02-2009, 09:02 AM
Hi Tom,
You can give your bait away. Just ask for a donation to compensate for the time & effort involved.

the gecko
02-02-2009, 10:24 AM
I reckon go for it Tom. As long as you are under the age required to register a business and buy a licence, then who gives a toss? You just need a mate to watch out for the cops, and then you have to let the livies go if they get near. "what livies, sir?"

This is no different to the kids who lean over the fence at the golf course and sell me the balls theyve pulled from the lake.

Didley
02-02-2009, 11:11 AM
I reckon go for it Tom. As long as you are under the age required to register a business and buy a licence, then who gives a toss? You just need a mate to watch out for the cops, and then you have to let the livies go if they get near. "what livies, sir?"

This is no different to the kids who lean over the fence at the golf course and sell me the balls theyve pulled from the lake.

I'm with The Gecko, I hope your at the ramp next time I go out Tom, I'll have a dozen;)

Bear001
02-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Tom, if I lived anywhere near you, I'd happily buy them too.

Go for it, just use your common sense as mentioned above.

oldboot
02-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Tom lad.. being under 15 can be a pain...don't worry it wont last long;D .

It isnt an easy thing for youg people to make some cash these days....so you'll have to be a bit clever......All those things us old farts did when we are young are either illegal or unprofitable.
Hell they probaly wont let you stuff letterboxes till you are 15.

You seem to be able to string a few words together... have you thaught of writing a few articles and submitting them to the fishing mags....I don't think there is a law against that.....don't forget to submit them as school asignments too if you can get away with it.

There are all sorts of people who would give you a job.... but they probaly cant till you are 15.

cheers

oldboot
02-02-2009, 02:30 PM
AAAHA I've got it.........WORMS......ya cant dig for em by the seaside, and sell em...... but there is no law about growing em in compost ( to my knoweledge).

get yourself some worm farms or styro boxes and stock em with african night crawlers and sell those....aparantly they are gun bait in the fresh and are OK in the salt too..

WORMS Tom lad WORMS.

cheers

Dirtysanchez
02-02-2009, 03:22 PM
It's funny how things are nowdays.. can't do this, you'll upset so and so, or you need a licence for this etc etc.
When I was a kid we would play 18 holes of golf on a saturday morning at the local course, because we teed off before the weekly comp we were out by about 5.45 to 6am so the pro overlooked it coz we were decent kids, showed respect and did no harm. We would then leave our clubs behind the shop and go down to the 2 dams on the course and dive in and find the lost balls. The pro would buy them for 20c each, and eventually we had enough to buy a pie and chips or similar from the snack bar.
It all stopped when some old codger claimed we stole his ball off the fairway, which we didn't, he had hit it in the water..
Anyway, whatever enterprise you dream up young fella, there is always somone who objects to it, and will ultimately try to stop you.

IN these busy times I for one would support an independant supplier of prime live and or fresh baits, especially mullet ;D

Russell

1lastcast
02-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Tom listen to me mate , i see where your coming from here you want to make a few extra dollars doing something you enjoy AAAAHHHHHH i get it i think you will do well in life.

At least your not sitting around with you ipodi thingy or your wii or your playstation get out there and show those mullet who`s boss and who cares if you sell a few to people you meet by the ramp.

good luck to you mate !

disorderly
02-02-2009, 04:20 PM
AAAHA I've got it.........WORMS......ya cant dig for em by the seaside, and sell em...... but there is no law about growing em in compost ( to my knoweledge).

get yourself some worm farms or styro boxes and stock em with african night crawlers and sell those....aparantly they are gun bait in the fresh and are OK in the salt too..

WORMS Tom lad WORMS.

cheers

Finally some good advise as is your suggestion for Tom to put pen to paper,Oldboot...

Some others have suggested doing odd jobs for people...

Tom maybe even like to check out this site/book...http://www.internetbasedkids.com/....there are heaps of internet based options and many other ways available for making legal money...just google and you will come up with any number of possibilities...

As for those Ausfishers who have encouraged young Tom to engage in criminal activity on any scale.....well shame on you all...

And often justified by the" when I was a boy" crap and "its so tough for kids these days" mentality ::)........never heard such an self indulgent crock of sh!t before ......kids these days have more options and freedoms available then ever before and the main stumbling block to their personal growth appears to be their halfwit parents...

Wonder if some of you (those that have told him to go for it..::)::))....well are you the type of blokes who take over your bag limits and undersized fish......?

Undersized crabs and jennys what the hell they still taste good... ?

Some nice fishing gear there ....might grab it as long as the cops aren't watching...

Interesting to know just where you people draw the line when it comes to illegal fishing...and justifying illegal activities in general....:-/

Is doing it occasionally OK... but not too much..is it OK to encourage youngsters to break the law....is it OK as long as the cops dont catch you..?

Tom your life is full of choices and you must live with the consequences of those choices..if you do something that's against the law and get caught ...well ...you may get away with it because of your age but you also may not...and remember none of these jackasses that are encouraging you and telling to "go for it"on this forum will be there to bail you out...

I think thats about it for now...;);D

Scott

u.r.s.4
02-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Tom
Get your folks to move up to thge sunny coast, I'll buy all your live and fresh mullet off you.
Dont let the "fun police" beat you down.
Cheers.

Didley
02-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Interesting arguement Scott (disorderly) ,you could be right, infact I think U are, tom find something legal:(

tailorboi99
02-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks for all this guys, given me some encouragement and chukkles.

Tom,

tailorboi99
02-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Pm me if you're putting in at Colmslie on a weekend, I'll try and get you some bait for a donation ;)

Tom

PinHead
02-02-2009, 04:58 PM
mate - you are spot on here...

we're talking about a 14yr old kid who is taking an initiative to earn a few $$ pocket money. and a heap of blokes have shot him down and nay sayed what a lot of you did when you were a kid.

as for the pros - who gives a rats arse? how much business can a 14yr old kid take from a pro? he would most probably only be able to devote his time to it on the school holidays, so very limited to how much impact he could have.

to run a lawn mowing business, you need insurance and a certificate of business registration (at least). likewise to run a dog wash, car wash etc.

so are we saying this kid would need to have insurance and a registered business to mow lawns otherwise he could be in trouble with the authorities???

gee its a damn shame that kids cant be kids anymore - and we wonder why obesity, stress etc affects our kids so much these days - we are trying to make them grown up before they are ready.

I say go for it kid - just learn not to ask questions of adults - we have all become brainwashed by this regulated society and no longer are able to live free.

I agree..let's encourage the young bloke to break the law at his age..what a wonderful start to his adult life..perhaps then we could educate on some other items he could sell on the street..then even manufacture his own goods to sell and set up a distribution network..could work a treat,..all those lil pills.

Isn't there enough bloody trouble with young adults having total disrespect for the law as it is ????

Good on him for having the idea nd wanting to give it a go however he does have to be aware that there are rules and regulations that he has to abide by.

garman1
02-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Damn shame that someone within the fishing industry hasn't seen Tom's posts and thought "strewth a kid who wants to have a go, I'll give him a few hours on my boat for some pocket money....................

The world has turned 180 degrees....for the worse. As a kid I mowed lawns, took the grass away on my billycart, put the clippings on the worm farm, grew worms and sold some to the local blokes in my block etc.....

My dad even helped me with a couple of big lawns occassionaly ....strewth I wonder if he knew he was aiding and abetting a non licenced and non insured lawn mowing enterprise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or was he trying to lead me into lying and cheating and lead me into a life of crime, one of my customers was a policeman, he appreciated his lawns mowed as he was time poor.

So now I find I should have had insurance, mowing licence, tax file number, do my bas statement every month, pay an environment green house levy on the lawn clippings, pay for a worm growing licence, retail worm sales licence...insurance in case someone gets sick eating my worms. God on and on we go.......................................!

Tom, don't sell drugs ok !!!!!!! Not a good business plan......

I bet if a pro saw you selling some bait at the ramp he wouldn't call the cops, coastguard, epa, council etc He would have a chuckle and think strewth I used to do that when I was that age, wonder if this kid wants to earn a few xtra bucks working on a boat, most kids sit at home and play on a bloomin computer.

Tom good to see you thinking out outside the box, good to see you wanting to have a go, if I ever see "Toms bait sales" at a boat ramp count me in as a customer. Later when you grow the business via the internet and sell bait world wide and have all the necessary licences (naturally), let me know and I will buy some shares in your company....... I bet good things will happen in your life, your having a go at it now....good on ya.

PinHead
02-02-2009, 06:14 PM
what some of you blokes did 30 or more years ago is irrelevant now..times have changed and so have the rules.

tailorboi99
02-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks Garry, you've put a real big smile on my face. We might just do this for the fun of it and a few donations. We're trying to clear the Tilapia at Minnipi, sell bait, make lures and lots more :).

Thanks to everyone for your opinions has helped us a great deal!

Tom

snagking
02-02-2009, 06:26 PM
what some of you blokes did 30 or more years ago is irrelevant now..times have changed and so have the rules.

I think everyone who has posted on this thread is just trying to have some fun, and while you are obviously allowed to have your own opinions, I think people are just reminiscing of what they did as a kid. I don't think they are trying to persuade tom to brake the law.

tailorboi99
02-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks Snagking.

Tom

siegfried
02-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Top post young fulla makes me wish I was a kid again, knowin what I know now me and you could make a killin...remember the old saying, everyone and eveything has a price

Braddles
02-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Tailorboi 99 / Tom;

I suspect you never dreamed of generating such a response... Some of it useful, some hyper-critical and some just plain rot.

It does amaze me slightly that not one of the many people replied that own a boat - offered you a seat on their boat as one off, or from time to time, in exhange for mullet / live bait WHICH IS LEGAL - and IS A CONSTRUCTIVE SUGGESTION - weather you accept or not is another issue. If I had a boat - I would certainly help you out with a swap.

As for earning cash though - just an idea that I set my 12 year old nephew in, and is now making about $150 month in profit on a very small scale - is breeding fish for the aquarium trade. Live bearers such as Mollies, balloon mollies, guppies, endlers etc - all breed like flies and always a demand. He gets between 1/3 and 1/2 retail price depending on specific fish - this means for an endler - he is getting $3.00/fish! He has about 10 females churning out about 100 - 150 babies a month, so allowing for parents eating young / deaths - he can make up to 150/month from one line if he sells the lot...

His set up I bought for him - his initial tank from big W + heater and food and chemicals cost about $60.00 - and from then he just reinvested on cheap tanks from that e-bayed place and presto...

Just an idea.

Another is breeding "pinkie" mice for the pet trade - but I couldnt do that knowing their ultimate fate - in a snakes belly.

Good on you - I admire initiative in a young person! Pitty more Aussies didnt have similar drive (and yes I am Aussie).

Brad.

snagking
02-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks braddles.
I think it was myself who gave Tom the idea to ask a question about selling bait, and I agree with quite a lot of what people have said, that it is illegal and what not, but could we sell them as fish food then?
Does that change laws then?

And I am surprised that no one has offered, but if any of you ever go for a fish and put in at colmslie boat ramp, drop one of us a PM and we can get you some bait as long as you ask nicely;D

flybloke
02-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Hey Tom, What a great Idea. I used to think up ways to make money as a lad too::)
I've got an idea for you.
Fishing guides have to catch there own live bait when they would rather be in bed.
Why not ask a few if you could help em out a bit and work under THERE licence??
Provided you can come up with the required amount for them, You just might have your first little contract happening;)
Good luck

snagking
02-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Are there any fishing guides in Brisbane on this site?

PinHead
02-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Tailorboi 99 / Tom;

I suspect you never dreamed of generating such a response... Some of it useful, some hyper-critical and some just plain rot.

It does amaze me slightly that not one of the many people replied that own a boat - offered you a seat on their boat as one off, or from time to time, in exhange for mullet / live bait WHICH IS LEGAL - and IS A CONSTRUCTIVE SUGGESTION - weather you accept or not is another issue. If I had a boat - I would certainly help you out with a swap.

As for earning cash though - just an idea that I set my 12 year old nephew in, and is now making about $150 month in profit on a very small scale - is breeding fish for the aquarium trade. Live bearers such as Mollies, balloon mollies, guppies, endlers etc - all breed like flies and always a demand. He gets between 1/3 and 1/2 retail price depending on specific fish - this means for an endler - he is getting $3.00/fish! He has about 10 females churning out about 100 - 150 babies a month, so allowing for parents eating young / deaths - he can make up to 150/month from one line if he sells the lot...

His set up I bought for him - his initial tank from big W + heater and food and chemicals cost about $60.00 - and from then he just reinvested on cheap tanks from that e-bayed place and presto...

Just an idea.

Another is breeding "pinkie" mice for the pet trade - but I couldnt do that knowing their ultimate fate - in a snakes belly.

Good on you - I admire initiative in a young person! Pitty more Aussies didnt have similar drive (and yes I am Aussie).

Brad.

are you serious...people are not even allowed to take pics of kids at sporting events these days..as if I or anyone else would take a 14 year old kid that we have never met before out on our boats..that certainly is leaving yourself open for many accusations. I know many years back when I was pres of Little Athletics club..had to be sure not to make any contact with any of the kids..make sure all the kids had been collected by parents or other adult known to them...too many dangers down that path these days.

mik01
02-02-2009, 07:30 PM
I agree..let's encourage the young bloke to break the law at his age..what a wonderful start to his adult life..perhaps then we could educate on some other items he could sell on the street..then even manufacture his own goods to sell and set up a distribution network..could work a treat,..all those lil pills.

Isn't there enough bloody trouble with young adults having total disrespect for the law as it is ????

Good on him for having the idea nd wanting to give it a go however he does have to be aware that there are rules and regulations that he has to abide by.

its great that we can differ on opinions - thats what makes Aus great.

but COME ON!!!! drawing a parallel from this harmless (INNOCENT) pocket money spinner to DRUG DEALER!!!::) ::) ::)

hahahahhaahaha - come on - admit it - thats pretty ridiculous.

you're not being serious - are you?
try reading it back to yourself, then promptly give yourself an uppercut

Tom - I hope you've learnt a lesson about old people from this thread - 1 - they don't know everything, and -2 - they forget what its like to be innocent and have the world at their feet (me included unfortunately).

see you at Colmslie young fella - you'd be welcome on my boat any day, but I'd feel much better if your parents knew who you were heading out with and that all was 'above board' before you took off with anyone.

careful though - I might lead you to a career in criminal activities :-/ ::) ::) ::)

garman1
02-02-2009, 07:34 PM
I have been really protective over my kids and kept a closer eye on them than my parents did with my brother and I (things have changed), but I feel sorry that my kids will never experience the joy of making a few bucks with lawn mowing etc etc. Without the worry of "do I have the right licence" and do I need an abn number yet???

Yep, you wouldn't let a stranger take your kid out on a boat without getting to know that person.......... common sense.

I think this whole thread comes back to remind us that we as adults need to use common sense with some of our decisions. Things have changed over the years (sadly)......... but I don't want to wrap my kids up in red tape, that will happen soon enough. My boy has just got his first job and is learning that life is not as easy as it was at school.

Braddles
02-02-2009, 08:05 PM
are you serious...people are not even allowed to take pics of kids at sporting events these days..as if I or anyone else would take a 14 year old kid that we have never met before out on our boats..that certainly is leaving yourself open for many accusations. I know many years back when I was pres of Little Athletics club..had to be sure not to make any contact with any of the kids..make sure all the kids had been collected by parents or other adult known to them...too many dangers down that path these days.

Fair point Pin Head.... I didnt think of that aspect... but then I am a paediatric ICU nurse and medical student - so wouldnt think twice... Plus I have a blue card. I think you have a valid point though - and if it were someone who was 14, I would either insist on them having a chaperone (ie parent or gaurdian) or a letter or at least a meet and greet with parents before hand.... In fact shut up Brad - If I were a parent - I wouldnt let my 14y.o anywhere near a stranger offering to take them to sea on a boat - I am so blonde sometimes lol..

BR65
02-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Mate, sell a couple of livies for some coin in the hand, good luck to you, fair dinkum, some of what you blokes have posted is absolute tripe.
We are Australian arent we?
This is the lucky country, greatest place in the world to live?
Yes????
Who wants to live in a regulated society where a kid cant earn some pocket money, he isnt out doing B & E's!
Wake up to yourself wowsers.
And no, Im not interested in hearing how this will corrupt some ones morals, and lead to a life of crime, fair dinkum

deepfried
02-02-2009, 09:56 PM
How hard would it be for Tom to organise an Ausfish member that wants to take him out to meet his parents. Then his parents could decide what to do, not us. Hell if i lived up there Tom i would take you out fishing and wouldnt worry the stuff that others have posted. If your oldies ever come down this way for hols gives us yell and we can go for a fish. If someone takes you fishing you can put up a thread on here about who you are going out with and when you will be back at least if you go missing we will all know who did it ;) .

Youve got a brain mate so take out of this thread what you need and forget the rest. I am guessing some members will be in touch via pm. Also dont sell drugs, steal fishing gear, keep jennies etc etc etc etc et e e

Scott

1lastcast
02-02-2009, 10:24 PM

C`mon take a chil pill he`s talking about a few mullet here not grand theft auto , ,, hek why not lock him up and throw away the key

Its not like he is going to set up a shop by the boatramp and sell them ( your not are you tom ?)or put an ad in the paper i assume hes talking pocket money only

crikey you fellas i dont know !!

the law permits you to , blah blah blah yap yap yap go get some mullet mate and sell the bloody things i don`t think you will be selling anywhere near the amount that would put you in the pro fisherman class ////// just watch out for the hiden cameras and undercover cops //// fair dinkum ::)

oldboot
02-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Just another thaught.

Tom lad, how good are your knots and rigs.

I was pre rigging up a few bits and pieces tonight and I am sure there are lots of people out there who would rather not sit there making up pre rigs and you cant always buy pre rigs the way you want them.
you could even get the customer to supply the line and terminals that want used.

cheers

maztez
03-02-2009, 06:01 AM
This thread is a bit like pyramid selling . Starts off small with a young fella looking to be constructive and self supportive and then as in life the goody two shoes come along and blow him out of the water . Before you know it ,the post becomes a whipping post and gets so big that the whole thing is a comedy( but a good laugh) as freedom of speech takes over .
My view is good on you young man for being enterprising.

tailorboi99
03-02-2009, 07:44 AM
Guys thanks for all this!!!

Oldboot, I am good at making rigs for sharks, I guess I could make a few bream, flathead and bottom bouncing ones.

Tom

walugi
03-02-2009, 09:41 PM
what, now you're a illegal shark poacher?!

Next thing you know you're a hitman for hire!!! Jail this man!!!!

dazza
04-02-2009, 06:34 AM
what, now you're a illegal shark poacher?!

Next thing you know you're a hitman for hire!!! Jail this man!!!!

Need a gun liscence to be a hitman:-/ :-/ so looks like that is out,

better head to the local shopping centre and harass people, hang around and get into strife,
heaven forbid if you show a bit of inititive and have a go
i am sure a young fellow with your motivation will find something to make a bit of coin, good on you
cheers
dazza

tailorboi99
04-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Thanks Walugi, and Dazza :P

Tom

tailorboi99
04-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Just another thaught.

Tom lad, how good are your knots and rigs.

I was pre rigging up a few bits and pieces tonight and I am sure there are lots of people out there who would rather not sit there making up pre rigs and you cant always buy pre rigs the way you want them.
you could even get the customer to supply the line and terminals that want used.

cheers

I might make a few offshore bottom bouncing rigs, shark rigs and others for live baiting etc..

If anyone thinks this idea is good and want to have a trial with the rigs for free feel free to pm me :) Include which type - Bottom bouncing for reefies, live baiting, or shark rig..

Tom

snagking
04-02-2009, 05:52 PM
You do make some pretty good rigs, well, your leader doesn't seem to break line mine :(

:D:D

ashh
05-02-2009, 08:26 PM
I might make a few offshore bottom bouncing rigs, shark rigs and others for live baiting etc..

If anyone thinks this idea is good and want to have a trial with the rigs for free feel free to pm me :) Include which type - Bottom bouncing for reefies, live baiting, or shark rig..

Tom

dont need a licence to sell on E.bay, make some rigs up, put pics of which fish they can catch on the rig you advertise, tell em its piss easy to use and they'll be catching more fish than ever before, blah blah blah. Watch the bidding go up an up an up, see which rigs sell the best and go from there. Might be onto somethin ;D

ashh
05-02-2009, 08:28 PM
dont need a licence to sell on E.bay, make some rigs up, put pics of which fish they can catch on the rig you advertise, tell em its piss easy to use and they'll be catching more fish than ever before, blah blah blah. Watch the bidding go up an up an up, see which rigs sell the best and go from there. Might be onto somethin ;D

oh yeah, I will be collecting royalties on a weekly basis :P

walugi
05-02-2009, 10:28 PM
dont forget to tell them its home made ;)

Get the number of fish you've caught on them and multiply by 10, and you'll have a figure you can advertise proudly, and in league with you competitors.

tailorboi99
06-02-2009, 07:06 AM
Thanks guys, I will make some tonight.

Tom

the gecko
06-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Good thing you didnt get into the livie business tom, there was a guy giving em away at the boat ramp last night. Theres always someone whos gonna undercut you.

Then they didnt work. I was looking for him back at the ramp to complain, but he was nowhere in sight.

See what happens when youre a small businessman? You have to defend your turf against competition, and even have a returns policy.........lol.

Good luck with ebay, I think ash is on a winner. They sell paternoster rigs in kmart, so go see how much they are and make yours a better deal. Thats all you have to do on ebay.

Andrew

Just_chips
06-02-2009, 10:43 AM
It is not a crime untill you're caught.

Follow all current size and bag limits and don't get carried away and become greedy. A couple of extra bucks here and there for a cheeky young bloke is one thing, but creating a business and income stream from this little venture is another.

Kev

Didley
06-02-2009, 10:55 AM
It is not a crime untill you're caught.

Kev

Hey Kev, does that mean if I knock off your crab pots or a rod out of your boat it's OK as long as I don't get caught :-/;)

tailorboi99
06-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Yeah thanks The Gecko and Just Chips for that.

Tom

boonwalker
06-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Too bad young fella. As a young bloke my brother and me made a killin with beach worms. But as suggested above there are a lot more regulations now and fisheries are a lot more serious than 25 years ago. If there is a golf course nearby get golf balls from the waterways and sell them, used to make good money as young bloke ding that too.

good to see a young bloke keen to make some dosh, good luck.

tailorboi99
07-02-2009, 06:32 AM
Thanks Boonwalker, I am going to make some rigs to sell on Ebay for a cheap price. IF you're interested in a free rig (trial rig, to get people to know that they're alright) please pm me.

Tom

ashh
07-02-2009, 09:15 AM
If I were you, I would probably stick to making rigs from say 40lb line rating and up, like mackeral rigs, shark rigs etc.....people are quick to give negative feedback on e-bay which is what will most likely happen if you make a light rig and it snaps or gets bitten off when they use it, just something to consider.

tailorboi99
07-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks Ash I am alright at making shark rigs and quite good at making mackeral and live bait rigs. Etc

Tom

roz
10-02-2009, 07:34 PM

never in a million years would I thought I would agree with any opinion expressed by Mr P.Head :o :o LOL... but in this case he makes sense (except for the drug dealer thingo).

IMO it's good to see a young kid trying to earn a few extra $$$, when I was about the same age, I used to sweep my wheel chair bound neighbours path once a week for $2.00...way back when $2.00 seemed huge!!!

As Greg has pointed out rules are rules, after all, there are people out there who have paid for their right to sell fish, they have families to suport, taking money from their pay packets, even a small amount wouldn't be right... fancy me coming down on the side of a pro fisho, now that's another first!!!

I have no doubt you will find other ways to earn that pocket money, you appear to have the energy and enthusiasm. Best of luck Tom.

cheers roz.

PinHead
10-02-2009, 07:46 PM
never in a million years would I thought I would agree with any opinion expressed by Mr P.Head :o :o LOL... but in this case he makes sense (except for the drug dealer thingo).

IMO it's good to see a young kid trying to earn a few extra $$$, when I was about the same age, I used to sweep my wheel chair bound neighbours path once a week for $2.00...way back when $2.00 seemed huge!!!

As Greg has pointed out rules are rules, after all, there are people out there who have paid for their right to sell fish, they have families to suport, taking money from their pay packets, even a small amount wouldn't be right... fancy me coming down on the side of a pro fisho, now that's another first!!!

I have no doubt you will find other ways to earn that pocket money, you appear to have the energy and enthusiasm. Best of luck Tom.

cheers roz.

and don't let it happen again.

tailorboi99
10-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks Roz, I am still making some rigs.

Tom

SandStorm
20-04-2009, 07:35 AM
Hi all, me and a few mates have an idea of selling bait we catch in our nets. Is this possible? Also who would buy it?

Prices would be like 30c per live mullet etc.. We'd sell them at local boat ramps.

Tom

My suggestion would be to tradeyour live bait away to friends and family, or sell it and keep very quiet about it, and only sell to peoplde you can trust......;)

garman1
20-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Well Tom, as you can see there are a lot of old farts about who Used to make good pocket money from doing the same type of things as you want to do now......but rules have beaten you!!!!! Everything you want to do was so simple when I was your age, till adults got involved eh......!

Which ever way things work out I take my hat off to ya for wanting to have a go, rather than sitting in front of a computer or spray painting your name along a railway track etc

Hope the amount of enthusiasm and patience you have, earns you a good result in the end....just to earn some pocket money.....

tailorboi99
20-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Thanks Garry,

Tom

Damned67
20-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Tom,
If the weather is decent, and the women in the family are busy 'shopping', freeing up their seats, there's a spot for you on the boat this weekend with me and Snag King (although, you have to promise to call him 'Sausage King', or 'Wiener Boy' ;D)

We'll probably only run out to Green Island, but hey, it's better than nothing, right?
Oh, and you're supplying the livies ;D

And that's an honest offer.......

iceknight
21-04-2009, 03:50 AM
All i can say is GEEEEZ theres some weird people on this site.. :/

Since when is everyone straight down the line in life all the time...???

I know im not perfect....

Go sell some livies or what ever makes you happy :)
just be carefull with it,

mudrunner
21-04-2009, 05:05 AM
there were some kids throwing a cast net off the jetty here on russell the other day. just minding their own business and catching some prawns during the school hollidays....

however, its against some 'PC degenerates' (council?) rules and some busy body 'dragon' took pics of them and jumped onto the next ferry....no doubt to make a complaint....

but there is a god....! the kids mother just happened along. the kids told her of what happened and the mum ran onto the ferry and abused the busy body. 'paedophile' was one of the words cast about, as well as some colourful others....

the busy body was making 'psyco' circles round her ear at the mother, further firing her up, and nearly causing fisticufs....

the 'law' would see the mother as in the wrong. it just shows what an arse 'the law' is....

Crestcutter
21-04-2009, 06:09 AM
She claimed that she was an EPA officer and that the kids were using a cast net illegally. The mother was phoned buy the kids and of course went down there. This old bitch was taking photo's of the kids as well. She showed no identification and could have been anyone.

She is really lucky the mother didn't get on the boat.And she is really lucky abusing the kids and getting away with it. One of the kids is blackk belt and about 11 stone all of 16 yrs old. The other is 14 and privately trained by a title holder, hence why he kids showed a bit of discipline and ignored the old bitch.

The mother didnt though lol.

PS, there is nothing illegal about using a cast net off the jetty here.

finga
21-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Fun busters. They're everywhere.
Maybe some http://www.smileyhut.com/weapons/commando.gif will set them straight.
Maybe even a call to the EPA??

I would have asked her where she was taking the pictures as I've seen them before doing the same and then gone there and get proof of the pictures and then sued the dragon for taking pictures of kids without parents permission and accuse her of pedophilia. I would have had the proof in my hands.
The ass of the law can work both ways.

As a side note....many years ago I put a holding deposit on a car so I could sleep on it over night.
I changed my mind but the guy said he wasn't going to give me my $500 (or what-ever it was. I can't remember. It was back in 1975,85 :-/) back because I simply changed my mind.
I looked at the receipt and the only date on it was the day befores when I paid.
I looked at him and said. Well your buggered then aren't you matey.
There is no time limit on me paying for the rest and it's pretty well mine as there's a holding deposit on it. You cannot sell it to anyone else now
I might just leave it for the time been. I haven't decided yes or no yet.
I'll get back next year.
The smarty type person couldn't get the $500 out quick enough. I actually though about leaving it a month or so but needed the money more ;D

Crestcutter
21-04-2009, 07:47 AM
I will be looking for her Scott and then finding out wether she is EPA or not. Then i will want the photos she took as well. If she doesn't hand them over i will have too take it from there. Not much i can do i spose as it's a woman.

Good story about the car, i must remember that one.

wirlybird
21-04-2009, 08:41 PM

HA HA HA

Lets lay it out here what laws is he really breaking

PRO fishing license cant get one to young

Masters license cant get one to young

License to trade cant get one to young

ABN once again to young

As long as the fish/prawns are legal size and bag limits are ok and he earns under the tax threshold

You may have the government by the short and curly's and be right in the meat of the Grey area.

Have you ever sold anything at the markets guys??? The same laws apply here have two kids selling bait and call it the bait markets.

finga
22-04-2009, 06:25 AM
Just because you cannot get a license to do something does not mean you do not need one.
Tom is too young to get a car license too but what will happen if he goes for a drive down to the boat ramp to get and sell his bait?

TimiBoy
22-04-2009, 06:54 AM
Tell you what, Tom.

Find people to take you fishing. You bring the liveys, and they supply everything else - they take you fishing! Not having to jig up the little buggers = more time fishing, I reckon. And no turning up out there and trying for an hour and then sulking about not being able to find them!

When you all get back, you wash the boat, and it's all square! Certainly might save this old fart a few hassles, and get you outside for some REAL fishing!

Cheers,

Tim

finga
22-04-2009, 06:59 AM
Now that sounds like a good idea.
Only problem is the bad language Timi would learn when Tom drops a whopper ;)

wags on the water
22-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Now that sounds like a good idea.
Only problem is the bad language Timi would learn when Tom drops a whopper ;)

What's wrong with teaching the English language away from school Finga? Tom may have even heard of these words, although a few of the words about smokers and whallopers may be new.....;D

BILLY THE KID
25-04-2009, 03:50 PM
after reading through this and giggling at all the do gooders and killjoys in this thread , it pondered the question

HOW MANY PEOPLE PAY THIER KIDS A WEEKLY ALLOWANCE OR POCKET MONEY ????

do they have licenses , tax numbers , abn , blah blah blah

Mate go be a kid and enjoy it while it lasts ;)

If anyone offers a seat in their boat get mum or dad to meet them first
Some serious sickos in the world .

Bill

disorderly
25-04-2009, 06:22 PM
after reading through this and giggling at all the do gooders and killjoys in this thread , it pondered the question

HOW MANY PEOPLE PAY THIER KIDS A WEEKLY ALLOWANCE OR POCKET MONEY ????

do they have licenses , tax numbers , abn , blah blah blah

Mate go be a kid and enjoy it while it lasts ;)

Bill

Since when did you need a " licence,tax number,abn,blah blah blah" to give give pocket money or an allowance as long as its below the tax free threshold and legal?

BILLY THE KID
25-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Since when did you need a " licence,tax number,abn,blah blah blah" to give give pocket money or an allowance as long as its below the tax free threshold and legal?

kids dont get their allowance for sitting on their arse watching telly ? they get it for doin chores like mowing the lawn , feeding the dog , cleaning up their rooms ettc .

do they need a animal husbandry certificate to wash and care for the dog as they are being payed to look after it ?
do they need need a horticultural certificate and small engine degree to mow the lawn as they are paid to do it ??

he,s a kid that wants to make a bit of money and gets replies like he will sit for 5 - 10 if he gets caught selling 60c worth of mullet ?? its not like he's gonna haul 200 - 300 kg a day and retire when hes 19

wirlybird
25-04-2009, 08:05 PM
kids don't get their allowance for sitting on their arse watching telly ? they get it for doin chores like mowing the lawn , feeding the dog , cleaning up their rooms ettc .

do they need a animal husbandry certificate to wash and care for the dog as they are being payed to look after it ?
do they need need a horticultural certificate and small engine degree to mow the lawn as they are paid to do it ??

he,s a kid that wants to make a bit of money and gets replies like he will sit for 5 - 10 if he gets caught selling 60c worth of mullet ?? its not like he's gonna haul 200 - 300 kg a day and retire when hes 19

Exactly and since these are new laws i will bet that there isn't a law to prohibit under age people from doing it unlike car licenses which have been around since the 20's

do it until you are told you are in the wrong and then stop as a clean skin you wont be prosecuted

TimiBoy
26-04-2009, 07:06 AM
Gee I hope you guys are right. If the lad was prosecuted after taking your advice, he could probably sue you.

The reality is that he needs to check up on what the Law is, and then comply. Teaching our kids to "push the boundaries, you won't get busted first time because you're young" is not only untrue, it is frankly irresponsible.

Tim

webby
26-04-2009, 07:54 AM
The reason for all reg's governing bait fish, and other foreshore living species, is to try and stop unscrupulous people from pilfering them to the point of extinction.
You just have to look at whats happened to some of the pipi areas and foreshores around brisbane where the asian have virtually decimated anything that creeps/crawls or burrows.
Walk into some of the assian seafood stores around sunnybank, and some of the species they have for sale is mind blowing, with undersize this and that, and species most of us wouldnt even bother to keep.
And if any bait shop is in cahoots with anyone that does this, they need to be whipped and flogged.
Not saying he cannot sell bait, but if he happens to be caught by the powers that be, yes they may be lenient due to age, but then again they may not be.
So the balls in his court as to whether he wants to run the gauntlet.
And anyone here that is pushing him to go ahead, you also need to be whipped and flogged no matter how small the quantities are he will be trying to flog off.
regards

wirlybird
26-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Frankly i am disgusted with the way the world is going. If i were a kid in this era i would be a fat slob in front of the TV because you need to call the local authority to walk down the street.

timiboy look up a thing called statute 10 in common law this may give you some answers to why people say some things in this thread.

wags on the water
26-04-2009, 08:33 AM

Bill

Yeah Tom, get Mum & Dad to meet Tim, he's a real piece of work......;D;D;D.

It is true though, there are some (lets say)...interesting people out there. And then there's people that judge on looks alone instead of meeting them then making judgement.

finga
26-04-2009, 08:41 AM
Frankly i am disgusted with the way the world is going. If i were a kid in this era i would be a fat slob in front of the TV because you need to call the local authority to walk down the street.

Yes, yes it is sad.
If Tom (who I know is a good kid at heart) wanted to sell a mullet or 3 he could be prosecuted.
But on the other hand some kids are right out of control and the law does nothing but protect them or are unable to do anything about it.
Just look at all the party crashers now-a-days and the stuff that happens.
Or there's the molesting scum bags that scare the begeesus out of parents when-ever the kids ask to go to the park for a play.
The law also protects these people against the wishes of most of the general community.
Just look at Dennis Ferguson.

Sometimes the law is indeed an ass but an ass we need to follow.
If you don't like it try and change it.

Oh to go back to 1970 when a kid could go fishing, ride their bike, play in the park and do all the kid things.
But back then if you stepped out of line the size 12 coppers boots were in your butt and then you got taken home to get another pizzling from your parents for been brought home by the coppers.
You soon grew up to (rightfully) respect the law back then.

wags on the water
26-04-2009, 08:47 AM
...................... but an ass we need to follow.

You might want to preview comments like this matey before submitting.....;D I might steer clear of you for a while............:-X

wags on the water
26-04-2009, 08:48 AM
Sorry Matey, still affect by the rum I had last night.....

disorderly
26-04-2009, 02:25 PM

They dont need any of those things...you are full of it..and like so many these days, just looking for excuses NOT to achieve...

Teaching our kids to "push the boundaries, you won't get busted first time because you're young" is not only untrue, it is frankly irresponsible.

Tim

We sometimes disagree Tim..OK well often really...;);D

But I totally agree with you on this....the kid is on the forum seeking some advise and guidance and there are guys here saying its OK to break the law......

and what do you do if a few years from now if you catch this kid breaking into your car/boat/home ?.....I bet most that have encouraged his illegal bait-selling ( "its OK Tom as long as you dont get caught" )would probably like to beat the crap outta him...

So where do you draw the line?

So the balls in his court as to whether he wants to run the gauntlet.
And anyone here that is pushing him to go ahead, you also need to be whipped and flogged no matter how small the quantities are he will be trying to flog off.
regards

Yup...its the principle of the matter..

Yeah..yeah...blah..blah..blah...blame it all on the "government" or the powers that be...

The only reason a child will be sitting in front of the telly growing fat is because his parents let him...

Scott

finga
26-04-2009, 03:26 PM
So a question to you all.
What do you suggest tom does to make a bit of pocket money??
I asked about making some rigs up that he could sell on our site when it's running.
Tim has suggested a swap of services for fishing trips.
What other ideas are out there for a young fella to make a buck or two?
Legal ideas of course please :)

Fish_gutz
28-04-2009, 10:34 PM
what about pestering all the neighbors for odd jobs like cleaning the yard up or mowing , weeding gardens ,washing the car, walking their dogs etc, make sure Mum and dad say it`s ok and best if you know your neighbor . good luck on earning some extra bucks Tom. Cheers Andrew

alphas
28-04-2009, 11:02 PM
So Tom,what did you end up deciding to do?

finga
29-04-2009, 06:33 AM
So Tom,what did you end up deciding to do?
Go fishing I'd say ;D

Donny Boy
29-04-2009, 08:43 AM
[quote=BILLY THE KID;1007082]

do they need a animal husbandry certificate to wash and care for the dog .......???

I had an Uncle who specialised in Animal Husbandry....................................

............until they caught him at it one day !!!!!

finga
30-04-2009, 07:49 AM
Hey Tom,
I just had a brainwave (and it hurt a smidge).
Do they still charge a couple of dollars for the trolley's at the airport?
Do they refund the couple of dollars back when the trolley is returned?
If so then go to the airport with a mate or two and collect trolley's for the deposit.
Going by the numbers I see everytime I go that would be a little goldmine.
Anybody know the go with the airport trolley's as I don't fly?
Something about Jetstar not having a C-130 or something like that they say :-[

wirlybird
02-05-2009, 08:48 AM
[quote=BILLY THE KID;1007082]

do they need a animal husbandry certificate to wash and care for the dog .......???

I had an Uncle who specialised in Animal Husbandry....................................

............until they caught him at it one day !!!!!

true and you cant mow lawns for pocket money either as it is seen as a business but plenty of people do it

BigE
09-05-2009, 10:30 AM
No wonder our kids need medication before they leave school ...... after reading this thank god I'm old enough to drink.

BigE

Synful
09-05-2009, 12:05 PM
No wonder our kids need medication before they leave school ...... after reading this thank god I'm old enough to drink.

Yeah, I reckon it's a case of everything needing to be regulated in the eyes of the politically correct. While I understand the "method in the madness"; I think that there should be some discretion on the part of the enforcement authorities if kids were caught selling bait at ramps etc.

So long as they kept the amount of money they had on hand to under $50.00 per day per person, I don't see an issue from a tax or any other perspective. I think that it's been mentioned further back in this thread, but how much damage could the kids really do to the pros? Let's face it, this is a kid with a cast net not a kid with gill nets or any other professional gear...

I reckon that the pro's should be viewing these kids with the view that they could be the next generation of pro fishermen, not a threat - but that's my view and I could well be wrong!

finga
09-05-2009, 05:22 PM
So long as they kept the amount of money they had on hand to under $50.00 per day per person, I don't see an issue from a tax or any other perspective. I think that it's been mentioned further back in this thread, but how much damage could the kids really do to the pros? Let's face it, this is a kid with a cast net not a kid with gill nets or any other professional gear...

I reckon that the pro's should be viewing these kids with the view that they could be the next generation of pro fishermen, not a threat - but that's my view and I could well be wrong!
If that's all that happened then it would be a good way to teach kids some form of responsibility and a sense of accomplishment in making a bob or 4.
That is until some more enterprising people go looking for bait on a HUGE scale and then drop their kids off at ramps with $50 worth of bait.
that'll save getting licenses to make big money and also avoid the taxman.
Again, it's a few that stuff it up for everyone.
That's probably why kids cannot sell a mullet or two or some prawns at the ramp
As for pro's not minding...sure, they might not mind a couple of kids but what about when there's a kid or two at every boat ramp or on every jetty, pier or foreshore??
They'll get real shirty really quickly.

In an ideal world (like when I grew up in the 70's) kids could do things to make a bit of pocket money.
Now it's hard to let the kids go to the park without been afraid of what might happen to them ie predators, gangs etc.

ColJacDak
09-05-2009, 06:05 PM
If some one was selling live bait at the boat ramp, i would be buying it and not asking for his liscence, rather the money i give, will be wages for catching bait for me,, Col, not actually selling the fish

BILLY THE KID
16-05-2009, 08:15 AM
They dont need any of those things...you are full of it..and like so many these days, just looking for excuses NOT to achieve

Scott

How do you figure this ??? Im 35 , own my own car , boat and house so how am i looking for excuses ???

was on my own from 15 yrs old and learnt that being 100 % down the line, stick to the law that you go nowhere and never will

Had many a time i wished for a better life but you wish in one hand and shit in the other and see what one fills up first .

i got what i own by working bloody hard and taking a oppurtunity when it arose and came out of it all with respect for other peoples property,

i may not have the best of everthing but i do have pride in what i own which makes it worth enough

disorderly
16-05-2009, 04:21 PM

They dont need any of those things...you are full of it..and like so many these days, just looking for excuses NOT to achieve...

Scott

How do you figure this ???

Yawwwnnn...::)

swabio
18-05-2009, 05:56 PM
The only issue I see with the whole thing, is potential DPI issues, as from a tax perspective, I am sure that the 'Hobby' determination would apply, ie he would be selling the fish in the pursuit of a hobby / recreational activity.

If you are serious about it, write a formal letter to the DPI requesting clarification of what the legislative stance on it is.

You will then get your legit answer, as regardless of what opinions / ideas the rest of us have you will have the definitive legal answer! Personally I think there should be provision for kids to make a bit of pocket money to pursue their hobbies!

I also don't subscribe to the 'exploitation possibility' and 'loopholes' to negate this possibility, as that happens in all facets of life, and if we were to let the few bad apples spoil the bunch then hell, we would be in a crap situation all the time.... look at the dodgy ebay sellers not disclosing income etc etc. Hobbies are fine.............. dodging tax through schiesty activities is not!

Mangfish
31-05-2009, 06:57 PM
can the young fella rent his cast net and man power for a few bucks?
plenty of old fellas down the ramps who can't actually throw a net anymore, thnx

bugman
31-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Tom,

As an employer of many young people, check the regs - there is no longer a minimum age for casual jobs like working in supermarkets etc. The 14 year 9 month thing is a thing of the past.

I suggest you go job searching if you want to make some money.

For all those that encouraged him to sell bait he catches, as a person who helped create the current regulations in Quensland - I and many others do not appreciate your comments. When dealing with laws to govern the public - you must always deal with the lowest common denominator. You are always thinking of how people will try and get around the rules and then close the gaps to make sure they can't.

Simple scenario - those that would turn a blind eye to Tom, Do we then turn a blind eye when Tom starts doing it with his mate and they double their production. What about when another mate does it and they triple production - suddenly all his footy team are doing it with him. What happens to the local bait stocks for other rec fishos if you extrapilate that further. When do you draw the line. A rule has to be made sensibly and senisibly enforced.

Another scenario - a bloke claiming the dole, or workers comp, or aged pension, or not paying child maintenaince, he does it to raise a few bucks on the side. Would you be supporting him.

Good on you Tom for being proactive - just look in the right direction, I'd give you an interview for a job in my business.

Brett

GBC
03-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Have a look at what the asian bait gang did to the pipi stocks at Moreton>:(

choppa
03-06-2009, 03:26 PM
what if he went away from "selling" bait,,,, and offered something more unique that the local bait n tackle stores don't???????

example,,,, set up a cleaning table at the ramp,,,,, offer to gut/scale/fillet,,, and if the filleting side of things are a bit too much,,,, the fisho's can do there own for a gold coin donation,,,,,

benefit here would be with the gut/frames also,,,,, render them down and sell them back to the local bait n tackle stores,,,,,, or use them yourself

just a thought,,,,,,,,,,

choppa

cormorant
03-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Oh god in regards to the fillet table.

There is so many hoops to jump through for being a fish processor just look up food safe or safety australia govt website. Unless you turned up with a full on factory all kitted out lic, and insured and had council permission you would be so close to the klink.

Special approvals for all food preparation and approvals for equipment, premises and person doing it. God only help the incorrect detergent in the hand wshing area or the incorrect temperature on the filleting table.

choppa
03-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Oh god in regards to the fillet table.

There is so many hoops to jump through for being a fish processor just look up food safe or safety australia govt website. Unless you turned up with a full on factory all kitted out lic, and insured and had council permission you would be so close to the klink.

Special approvals for all food preparation and approvals for equipment, premises and person doing it. God only help the incorrect detergent in the hand wshing area or the incorrect temperature on the filleting table.

so then please explain why so many ramps have filleting tables that are simple designs and made of stainless but bird sh$$t and the likes are up to the general public to clean off??????,,,,,, council bullshit doesn't rub off on me sorry mate,,,, much the same as most of the ""hoops"" that are implied within most of the current regulations

i'm not stating to do the cleaning thing,,, more of a ""unique"" approach to making a few bucks that doesn't upset the local stores

choppa