PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Problem Maybe

bluefin59
01-02-2009, 06:57 AM
I have been getting my fuel regularly from freedom at banyo for 4 years because it didn't have ethanol in it ,then last week i stopped in to refuel as usual and as i was filling up i noticed they now have E10 on all the pumps so i stopped refuelling at this point .I only put in about 15lt that was added to the 30lt that was already in their should i drain the fuel that is now left after that run [about 25lt] ,go out and run whats left in their out and then put in some fresh normal fuel ,or should i just keep topping up with fresh fuel and eventually there should be nothing left of the E10 . I use my boat nearly every weekend so its not as if it sits around ,any ideas on this would be appreciated or am i worrying about nothing if i keep topping up with fresh unleaded . I have a 60lt underfloor tank so not so easy to drain any ideas guys ...matt8-) 8-)

Mindi
01-02-2009, 07:34 AM
well if you filled it there would be 1.5 litres of ethanol in 60 litres of petrol or 2.5%... and who knows whether that will eat any of your fuel system synthetics which may or may not be ethanol resistant..? Personally I would probably try and drain off some to reduce the final percent even further and then use it sooner rather than later... but its not my boat and you may be more sensible than me.

But I laughed at your post appearing under an ad for Listerine which is about 25% Ethanol.

Spaniard_King
01-02-2009, 07:54 AM
Matt, Just use it within the next month. keep adding new fuel as required.

Long term use you "may" have an issue but a squirt here or there wont make any difference!

bluefin59
01-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the quick replys Yes garry i was thinking the same thing if i keep topping up at each refuel it should hopefully dilute down to an insignificant amount ,i usually have to top up with 40 or so litres after a trip. I was going to go out today and run it out and then put in some fresh fuel so i will probably go down this path as emptying the tank will be fairly difficult i believe after all it was only 15 litres i guess . What is really annoying is the fact that all there fuel now has some amount of E10 in it and the E10 symbol on the pump is fairly small so i didn't notice it straight away i will certainly be keeping a better eye out now ,i just hope they dont all go down this path as we will all have a problem . Maybe they should have a sign on it that is easily seen that says not suitable for marine applications ...matt

mik01
01-02-2009, 12:58 PM
why not siphon it out and use it in your car?
why take chances?
then just fill her up with fresh fuel and you haven't wasted any $$