PDA

View Full Version : Alloy polish "Autosol" for reel

spears
31-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Had someone tell me that scratches can be taken out with Autosol.
Anyone know about this stuff and where it can be purchased

ozbee
31-01-2009, 05:22 PM
just get out there and use it thats what matters

spears
31-01-2009, 06:55 PM
just get out there and use it thats what matters
I would prefer to getting it looking better after having a $1300 reel in a vice.
Solid alloy ..van staal
I want to make it look a bit better before i send it to the states for repairs

FNQCairns
31-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Toothpaste will.

cheers fnq

spears
31-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Toothpaste will.

cheers fnq
You recon..??
I'll give it a go and see

diabolical
31-01-2009, 09:07 PM
I would try a buffing wheel and polish compound. The spindle and canvass wheel attach to a grinder and would polish out any light scratches, deeper stuff would take a bit more work. Different grades of cutting or polishing compound depending on type of metal/alloy. Test it on other stuff first till you get the results you want. Bunnings carry the range near grinders ect..

Nico.d.R
01-02-2009, 05:23 AM
:o :o :o you put a $1300 reel in a vice:o ;D , i would watch out how much you buff it so you dont go threw the colour .

cheers nico

Leighton
01-02-2009, 07:16 AM
the product is called Autosol, any auto store will sell it.
Never used it on a reel before

FNQCairns
01-02-2009, 08:16 AM
You recon..??
I'll give it a go and see

yeah it will it's a cutting compound, works on light scatches on glass.hard plastic and alum etc, will work on anything depending on the elbow grease use. On deep scratches it can be used as a finishing compound.

cheers fnq

oldboot
01-02-2009, 10:02 AM
I have been using "DBA" brand micro refinishing compound for all sorts of things for quite a while now.

It is a simple compound containing only water, kerosene and micro abrasive aluminium oxide... no wax, no silicon nothing.

comes in 3 grades L1, L2 and L3......L1 is the coarsest......I mostly use L2 the L3 is incredibly fine and you would have to be realy keen to need that.

I originaly baught it for polising turned ecrilic pens, but have used it on carpaintwork, alloy, stanless...

most people refeer to it by the "L" number....." give me a bottle of L2"

the abrasive is very fine but there is quite a lot in there, so it works very effectively without being overly agressive.

it works on just about anything and doesn not react with metals like some of the polishes can.

you should be able to pick it up from an auto refinisher, I get mine from MFP refinish supplies at thornside, they have a northside branch too.

It works better than som many much more expensive products and is cheap as chips and goes a very long way.

last time I baught it cost me $16 a litre.

I got a bottle for a mate....he scratched his pretty glass boat....he tried Mcguires ( which is very popular in the plastics industry) but he said the L2 was soo much better.
His wife now wants a bottle for cleaning the stanless sink and their acrillic bath.

P.M me if you need any further details. this stuff is very impressive

cheers

Scott nthQld
01-02-2009, 10:49 AM
I regularly used Autosol on alloy rims on my old cars, never had a problem with discolouration in any colour rim with any treatment done to it, used it an powder coated and anodised pipes etc under the hood too. Even used to to restore some 30year old chrome bumpers from and old HQ ute to looking brand spanking new of the production line. Great stuff that autosol. Any auto shop will have it.

wayno60
01-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Been using "Autosol" or another product called "Godards glow" on mag wheels for years....their both a cutting compound and as said before the more you polish the better the finish. I have used it on alloy reels before and brings then up like new. i use a piece of flanno for the final polish.

i would watch out how much you buff it so you dont go threw the colour .
only if its anodized, if its just alloy go ya hardest.

cheers

ozbee
01-02-2009, 10:55 AM
lovely weather scott got your boat tied up to the house

spears
01-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks for all that info guys.
Even though the avatar shows gold color it's actually the plain alloy silver reel.

I tried to open it and placed it in a vice with electrical tape wound around the vice jaws then it slipped out and marked the main body.With deep gouges,I’ll need to file it back,sand it then polish

Haven’t even had the chance to use the reel once yet.
Then for some reason things got worse,now I can’t even turn the handle.ceased.
They’ll be impressed in seeing how I stuffed it up.
Can’t see it be under $200-300 in repairs and shipping.maybe $400,could end up as a bin job
I’m doomed

Scott nthQld
01-02-2009, 02:24 PM
lovely weather scott got your boat tied up to the house

Nah mate, bungs are in and she's being filled with water. Was hoping to get out and flick a few lures and drown some livies for barra today but Ellie had other things in mind......what a bitch

2manylures
04-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Thanks for all that info guys.
Even though the avatar shows gold color it's actually the plain alloy silver reel.

I tried to open it and placed it in a vice with electrical tape wound around the vice jaws then it slipped out and marked the main body.With deep gouges,I’ll need to file it back,sand it then polish

Haven’t even had the chance to use the reel once yet.
Then for some reason things got worse,now I can’t even turn the handle.ceased.
They’ll be impressed in seeing how I stuffed it up.
Can’t see it be under $200-300 in repairs and shipping.maybe $400,could end up as a bin job
I’m doomed

I'm Gobsmacked