PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga in July???

Show me the fish
31-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Hello,

I am planning a week long expedition to Awoonga in July (followed by a week at 1770). I was wondering if this time if year is good for barra fishing. I have heard that it is a good time as the weather is consistent and generally bigger barra are caught but the numbers are less??

My wife and i spent 4 nights there last August but the fishing was tough and the weather was bad. Only one fish was caught, and that was by the wife just on dusk in the final fishing hour of our trip. The fish went 1m long and it was caught thanks to a very helpful local angler who let us follow him around most of the afternoon and even came and grabbed us to follow him when he found the fish on the chew. This guy was an absolute legend, he went totally out of his way to help us catch a barra - he caught 2 himself but in helping us probably cost himself catching a couple more.

This year we are planning on spending a few extra days at the dam and needless to say i am EXTREMELY keen to catch one myself.

Any help/advice regarding Awoonga barra in July would be greatly appreciated.

Awoonga
31-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Yes l remember...You said that you would never live it down !...As far as a Legend ... no way Legends are dead and l am far from it.....As far as Awoonga in July its just too cold.. Barra only bite in Summer..They are like bears they hibner... Hibnar... Go to sleep... Anyway the ramp will be closed...l am going to put the sign up myself .....You best just go to 1770... forget about those Barra.....l will send you a pm on what bait to use and a few secrect spots on the coast...Just remember... no barra ....Winter ,,, Cold ....

Show me the fish
31-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Yes l remember...You said that you would never live it down !...As far as a Legend ... no way Legends are dead and l am far from it.....As far as Awoonga in July its just too cold.. Barra only bite in Summer..They are like bears they hibner... Hibnar... Go to sleep... Anyway the ramp will be closed...l am going to put the sign up myself .....You best just go to 1770... forget about those Barra.....l will send you a pm on what bait to use and a few secrect spots on the coast...Just remember... no barra ....Winter ,,, Cold ....

Thanks Awoonga,

Yeah i thought from a few of your posts that it might have been you, i was hoping to be able to see your boat in a pic to confirm (i believe it was green and you were about to get a new one??). Anyway thanks again for your help last year.

As far as not living it down... the wife was pretty good about it, the main digs come from dad, brother, mates, work mates etc.. what was worse is that she was 22 weeks pregnant at the time. But in my defence i was just being a good husband and letting my pregnant wife catch the first one, i wasn't to know she would wait until we were about to leave before she did so;) (as the saying goes, happy wife=happy life!)

I will be in touch,

Cheers

Kris