PDA

View Full Version : Trailer reconditioning

Captain Seaweed
31-01-2009, 06:12 AM
Hello Fellas,
I am looking at restoring my trailer a bit. Its not rusty just very grey and dull. Some bolts may have rust on them and it would look a million bucks if I could get it re-galled. Is there anyone that does this for a business(restores trailers)? I know there are galvinizers around but I dont have the space or logistics to store boat off trailer to do it. Is there an acid wash or something similar to bring he gal back up? Any information greatly appreciated.

Marty

Sandman
31-01-2009, 08:14 AM
Marty,
There are but you need to look arond , my trailer was a little worse off and intialy i looked at buying a new one, but the overall cost was at the time a bit of a reach.
I ended up downing my boat in a mates yard for 3 weeks stripping my trailer back cutting off the rust completly , buying new gal as wel as getting new parts such as mudguards from dunbiar ( who restore trailers) and doing it with the hand from a few mates.
After all the stuffing around and welds etc were complete, i contacted a few hot dip gal places 2 from memory, the cost is per kg stripped this does not include the cleaning which is required, i believe the overall cost for regalvanising was around $1000, you have to arrange to get it there etc.
At the end i decided to cold gal mine then coat with a thick layer of black anti rust then completly drown the trailer in lanolin although this may not be ideal but it works. personally if your tralier has no significant rust i wouldnt take the gal back as it will only promote more rust imo , i would give a good water blast seal it with rust prevention from the inside as this is were your rust if any will be.
I will find my post to show you.
mick

Sandman
31-01-2009, 08:17 AM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=128968

Captain Seaweed
31-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Mick,
You did a good job I think it actually looks better black than gal!
I got onto Brisbane Axles and Trailer components and they were happy to restore. I am taking it down for a quote and will let you know what they say.
Thanks for your response again
Marty

Captain Seaweed
31-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Quote to restore 6.2m Seafarer Trailer. Pull all apart re-gal all parts. Replace 4 discs and pads and put back and re wire. $2800-$3000. New nuts and bolts

FYI
Marty

Sandman
31-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Marty,
Dont bother!! Unless you really need to IMO ? Does that include taking the boat off storying etc?
Mick

Captain Seaweed
31-01-2009, 02:33 PM
No I just bring trailer in. I dont think I will bother.

oldboot
31-01-2009, 06:38 PM
If the trailer is basicaly in good nick, giving it a good scrub and then a coat of "Galmet Duragal" is very cost effective.....one litre should do a trailer no problem... best sprayed.

The majority of the coas will be the fiddling... not rocket science.

cheers