PDA

View Full Version : Portable battery packs/jump start packs

Argle
30-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Just wondering if anyone uses those portable jump start packs ala auto shop types to run lights and if so how have you found them? How long do they run when being used like this?

I am looking at using one to run a single fluro and thought it might be a better (read cheaper) option to having twin batteries set up in the boat and it would also allow me to use the fluro for camping when not in the boat.

Appreciate any comments or advice

Cheers and Beers
Scott

Dirtysanchez
30-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Should be alright with a Fluro or LEDs, they have a fair amount of amp hours in them when fully charged.

Kleyny
30-01-2009, 04:35 PM
we use them at work. They can a 5 foot fluro for hours.

But it will come down to how much money you send on the quality and size of the battery.

neil

We did have a few with air pumps and lights built in but they were crap. I would try and find one with just the sarter nothing else.

bar raider
30-01-2009, 05:22 PM
yeah they're great mate (if ya get a good one), i use one for camping and it runs all the 12v stuff for a couple of days (flouro,air bed pump and tyre pump)

A mate has one with a 240v plug as well which can run the laptop and phone charges.

Argle
31-01-2009, 07:24 AM
Righto it looks like its a goer! Thanks for the replys fellas much appreciated

Cheers
Scott

snasman
31-01-2009, 07:44 AM
If you plan on using it to jump start anything make sure you get a good one with surge protection ,vehicle computers arnt cheap.

Kleyny
31-01-2009, 08:49 AM
If you plan on using it to jump start anything make sure you get a good one with surge protection ,vehicle computers arnt cheap.

Easy fix for that run the pos. on the batery and the earth on the engine. From what i was told by my tafe teacher he said something about the thickness of the cable going to engine it would be hard for the surge (if any) to go anywhere else but the easiest path.

An old mechanic i used to work with just turns the head lights on he recons that can also draw a surge (if there is one)

neil

oldboot
31-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Just remember these jump start products are nothing more than a sealed acid battery in a fancy plastic case with may be an inbuilt charger.

Would you be better of simply buying a SLA batter and a suitable charger.

cheers

Argle
01-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Just remember these jump start products are nothing more than a sealed acid battery in a fancy plastic case with may be an inbuilt charger.

Would you be better of simply buying a SLA batter and a suitable charger.

cheers

I hear what you are saying although the jump start pack is pretty compact and easy to store in the car or boat, I also like the idea of being able to recharge the battery via the cigarette lighter plug in the car if camping away from 240v for extended periods. The main use Im looking at is to run the 12v lights for the camp/boat rather than a jump start pack so it looks like the best option for me at this point. Appreciate the comments from everyone so far - any other ideas???

Cheers

Scott

CRAFTY24
01-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Mate I have been using one of those for years to camp with mostly to run lights. I run two smaller type fluro lights, 1 in the tent and 1 in the common area. I ran them for a four day camping trip once and it still had enough juice to jump start a car when we left.

I have had 2 of these myself and my best advice would be spend the money on a good quality one. I picked the first one up from WOW and it didn't charge, took it back and got a replacement which lasted 2 months and died. Gave up on them and got one from Repco and it is a cracker. Bit more expensive but well worth it. Sorry I can’t remember how much I paid as it was 2 or so years ago. But I still have it and it works fine.

Hope that helps

Foxy4
01-02-2009, 09:54 AM
I have one here and have used it for jump starting the cars and bike as well as working in the shed and yard after dark when it has been cooler. Never had any problems with mine and now have a second new one to setup as well once I start to use the boat a bit more.

Sure is a good option over the second battery in the boat.