PDA

View Full Version : Gear oil Honda 2 hp

Alex9797
29-01-2009, 01:10 PM
hey all,

recently serviced our honda 2005 2hp fourstroke off our tender. Changed the engine and gear oil, plug etc following the owner manual but was told by a local mechanic that I should be using ATF instead of gear oil. Does this sound right?

the engine has a centrifical clutch, and was told that it wouldn't operate well with ordinary gear oil.

thanks

Alex

FNQCairns
29-01-2009, 01:25 PM
I don't know that engine but in theory he could be right, automotive hypoid gearbox oil (which is what all outboard gear oil is) has friction modifiers that could slick wet clutch surfaces......IF it does in your case the symptoms are directly reversible upon filling with ATF.

cheers fnq

Spaniard_King
29-01-2009, 01:46 PM
I would be using what the manufacturer recomends. Not what that Mechanic thinks should be used!

Spaniard_King
29-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Just had a thought, the 2hp is a direct drive gearbox.. the clutch he is talking about is located under the engine.. nuthing to do with the gear oil :P

FNQCairns
29-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Just had a thought, the 2hp is a direct drive gearbox.. the clutch he is talking about is located under the engine.. nuthing to do with the gear oil :P

The plot thickens, I was a little surprised to read the clutch must be 'wet' and that ATF would be used in a hypoid gear box. good to hear all is still well with the world;D

cheers fnq