PDA

View Full Version : Bluefin or Stessco

Bennywise
29-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Hey guys,

I have narrowed my boat selection down to 2 different models and would like help in making my decision.

The 2 boats I am looking at are the Bluefin Mangrove Jack and Stessco 420/425 catcher RV. Both tiller. I can get a good deal on the 420RV as they are being superseded by the 425RV

What are your opinions here?

Ben

foxx510
29-01-2009, 10:25 AM
I think I've read on here about stessco QC or welding not being quite as good as some others? Might be worth a look.

BOMBIE
29-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Ben I know i sound bitter and twisted BUT stessco DONT TOUCH !:'( ! I know some say the are fine , & thats alright till something does go wrong then ,when it does the silence (factory backup) is deafing they are SonnyBill Williams of boats "looks like tarzan -plays like jane ,then takes your money and runs>:( " Mate just check out some Stessco blogs . you didnt say where you lived ,but cant be in CQ as we have no Dealers ;) ?? best of luck.. Still Fighting the Puttogeathers BOMBIE

dogsbody
29-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Can't comment on the stessco but the Bluefin is a solid unit.

Dave

shaneoo
29-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Howdy bud,
Must say after cracking my boat last year, i purchased a blue fin 4.5 (smaller then my last boat) in plate. They call it the warroir, we mainly do fresh and inshore fishing, and i can tell you it out dose my old boat anyday, up on plane no worries, handles chop very well, very stable with two blokes walking around her chasing barra. I give blue fin the boat a big tick.
The only fault i found in the flooring being made of to thin board, which after a cple of days in the sun twist, but that just me. I have a 50hp four stroke yammy on the back and with two blokes we do about 28 miles per hour, with the boat riding so well she runs on a smelly rag.
Feel free to pm me if u wish for any more info
cheers shaneoo

robersl
29-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Hi Ben
I have had a bluefin 4.5m forward steer and could not fault it other than that it was heavy to do anything with and in a bit of a breeze sometimes needed 2 people for ease of getting it on the trailer,
I currently have a 4.20 steesco catcher with full floor and casting deck 5 seat postion 3ml bottom ,1.6 ml topside and a 40 hp yammie on it i had heard of the different problems about the welds ect and had looked at these boats in the past and some of the welds looked big and ugly but i think they have got a lot better i have had this boat for 4 months it is good to tow handles easy i needed a spare tyre i contacted the factory they do not normally sell to the public but i was able to get 1 from them at a good price so save me a lot of grief, i also have found this a very dry boat compared to a few different boats i have had bluefin, quintrex, allycraft but as with all boats you will still get water in over the side in rough weather, both boats are great bluefin are a better quality boat and you pay a lot more for it my steesco boat with lights, charger battery and bilge, unpainted cost me about $8900 you would prob add another 6k to 9k onto that price for a painter bluefin i think

shane

catfishkid
29-01-2009, 06:00 PM
I just sold my 4.2 Catcher RV to upgrade to a bigger glass boat.I never had a problem,when I had questions I walked in to their factory at narangba and found them to be accomodating to my requests.
I had a 40hp tohatsu,bowmount,huge livewell under front casting deck and a lot of extra weight.I have to say I loved it and would own another in a heartbeat.
I dont dismiss other peoples experiences however mine were great.

Cheers Craig

Bennywise
29-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks for everyones feed back.

It is a real tough call, however I am leaning towards the bluefin because service and responses I have had from a few of stessco dealers. 3 of the ones I went to didn't really seem keen to sell me a boat and simply wrote their price on the back of their business cards??? One of the sales person at one shop didn't even bother to talk to me, he just sent the receptionist out with his price written on a sticky note:o

Also, I have only been to one yard that has them in stock. The other dealers told me they only get them in once they get an order from a customer??? Do people really buy boats without even seeing them???

It's a shame really, the new 2009 RV425 is a great looking boat. 3mm bottom and 3mm sides.

Ben

robersl
29-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Hi ben i seen mine at the boat show i waited 6 -8 weeks for it to come i know they like to build to order did you try marine tune on the gold coast if they have 1 in stock i got mine from them and i live at caboolture they were helpful anytime i rang with queston
but the bluefins are a great boat
shane

Mike Delisser
29-01-2009, 07:05 PM
I recon most small to average size dealers wouldn't be too keen to hold a lot of stock in the current economic situation.

BTW - Best prices I've seen for any Stessco are from River City Marine at Breaky Creek however I love my Bluefin Wildcat ;D
Cheers

Rhino80
29-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Hi Ben

I bought a 540 bowrider stessco from marine tune at Burleigh Heads and they were really good to deal with. They went out of there way to help me but i know what you are talking about with some dealers(it doesnt matter what brand they have) as i walked out of 2 dealerships for the same reason. I havent had a problem with my boat and it goes great

Dan5
29-01-2009, 07:21 PM
I owned a Stessco 4.85 outsider for 6 years,in those 6 years i re welded the transom,chine and the keel........luckily i was able to do it myself otherwise it would have cost a fortune.....the ride was fine for a tinny........the build quality was rough.......but you get what you pay for.

I now own a Blue Fin 4.5......the build quality is far better........no cracked weld's yet........the ride is marginally better......maybe a touch wetter.......the flooring in mine need's replacing after 18 months it's gone soft in some places.........the factory seat pole's and drop in seat bases are rubbish and the fuel tank is only a bladder (which most are nowaday's).

On a whole IMO the Blue Fin is a much better built hull than the Stessco,

Dan,

sempre
29-01-2009, 07:43 PM
I have just got my new stessco 460 rv , its a great little boat , all the cons and etc , handles great and goes well , its a 4mm bottom and 4mm sides , bottom being pressed and sides plate , the quality of this boat is as good as the others .

esky83
29-01-2009, 08:15 PM
I just had a drive of my mates 5m blue fin over the weekend. I was really impressed with they way in handled in fairly heavy chop while doing high speed turns while tubing. After the weekend i would recommend a blue fin to anyone. When i upgrade i will prob go a bluefin

bigbenny74
29-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Hi Bennywise,

Have had a mangrove jack for a couple of years now after spending the same time doing research on best hulls for the size I wanted.

Build quality is exceptional and is a dry ride in the bay )have the optional spray chines fitted.

I completed the fitout incl customer consolde myself and so had to pull the floor out etc and overall is a very strong build.

Reocommend the blue fin hands down

bb

BOMBIE
29-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Ben one thing to remember is plate is 5083 grade which is 4 times stronger than 5021 grade ,pressed or ribbed , most stessco "boats " under 5.5 are NOT plate and how many bad ones does it take re ;dan5 + others & myself to take a chance of getting a good one hope this helps !! Still Fighting the Puttogeathers BOMBIE

Angryant
29-01-2009, 09:15 PM
I bought a Stessco 4.85m runabout with a 60hp 4st in September last year and have done about 56 hours so far. I have been more than happy with the way it performs and the build quality. Maybe I'm paranoid because of posts I have read but I check the welds regularly and so far they are fine.

Based on my experience so far I would by another one from Marine Tune without hesitation.

Cheers,
Andrew

Lancair
30-01-2009, 08:02 AM
After reading lots of forums and bad posts on Stesco I went and looked at a lot personally. I also found a locl guy who had just bought one and talked to him. I now have a Stessco 4.2 Catcher, which I had factory modded to the RV standard of wide side decks and chequer plate foredeck but left the low floor. I have an Etec40 on mine and it is brialliant. Ive been offshore in rough ish weather, on lakes and estuaries, Ive come back from the pin to surfers in a 30knot wind against tide and so far not a drop of water in the hull when I take the bungs out. Sure the weld quality isnt a neat as some boats but for the price Id buy another. The floor is still good after almost 2yrs. I have mates who owned other boats in the same class and they ALL reckon the stessco rides better, deeper V and heavy bottom makes a world of difference.

As to some dealers giving shoddy service, the amount of tyre kickers some get through their gates must drive them mad. I found when I went in with pre approved finance paperwork they were more than helpful and added in extras etc for nothing but until they know youre serious some wont lift a finger. I know it sucks and 2 lost my business because of that attitude but . . .

Lancair

Bennywise
30-01-2009, 09:40 AM
After reading lots of forums and bad posts on Stesco I went and looked at a lot personally. I also found a locl guy who had just bought one and talked to him. I now have a Stessco 4.2 Catcher, which I had factory modded to the RV standard of wide side decks and chequer plate foredeck but left the low floor. I have an Etec40 on mine and it is brialliant. Ive been offshore in rough ish weather, on lakes and estuaries, Ive come back from the pin to surfers in a 30knot wind against tide and so far not a drop of water in the hull when I take the bungs out. Sure the weld quality isnt a neat as some boats but for the price Id buy another. The floor is still good after almost 2yrs. I have mates who owned other boats in the same class and they ALL reckon the stessco rides better, deeper V and heavy bottom makes a world of difference.

As to some dealers giving shoddy service, the amount of tyre kickers some get through their gates must drive them mad. I found when I went in with pre approved finance paperwork they were more than helpful and added in extras etc for nothing but until they know youre serious some wont lift a finger. I know it sucks and 2 lost my business because of that attitude but . . .

Lancair

Thanks for that.

How stable is the boat a rest? Looking at fitting the same motor as yours well.

Ben

robersl
30-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Hi Benny my 4.2 has casting deck up the front i am 150kg and was standing and casting no worries at monduran a few weeks ago was a good stable platform

shane

Bennywise
30-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Ben one thing to remember is plate is 5083 grade which is 4 times stronger than 5021 grade ,pressed or ribbed , most stessco "boats " under 5.5 are NOT plate and how many bad ones does it take re ;dan5 + others & myself to take a chance of getting a good one hope this helps !! Still Fighting the Puttogeathers BOMBIE

Makes me wonder whether I should just get a poly so I don't have to worry about welds............

Az
30-01-2009, 10:31 AM
it should probably be stated that you are talkinng about pressed alluminium hulls which to have a tendancy to split welds however a plate bottom should be a lot stronger and shouldn't cause you an issue. That being said it does also cost more and that's where people are likely to compromise and opt for the cheaper boat

catfishkid
30-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Gday mate.
In my 4.2 catcher rv before I sold it most fishing was with my 15yo son and together we would weigh about 170kg,with the livewell full(About 100 litres) stability at rest or underway was never an issue.
We used to fish out of tin can bay a lot and struck some pretty ordinary conditions and would agree with Lancair that never took on water in noticable quantities.

Cheers Craig

marty+jojo
30-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Benny,
I have a 4.2 Mangrove Jack with a 40hp Yamaha on it. I bought the rig new in June 2003. It is a solid boat, very stable at rest, no cracked welds, no warped flooring, no water comes out when the bungs are removed. It is an awesome boat that i highly recommend. I have seen the gear you fish with, and you like quality! The Blue fin is the boat for you.
Marty.

bluefin59
30-01-2009, 05:37 PM
I have the 4.5mt predator in a bluefin i have had mine for over 4yr and have done 550hr in it mostly in morton bay and am still happy with the package that theo sold me . It has not cracked or taken any water either its a great solid boat and i wouldn't hesitate buying another if i lost mine ...matt

Lancair
30-01-2009, 07:41 PM
My bro and I are both around 90kg nd we can both stand on one side without fear of falling in or tipping it over, but it does lean, It is only a 4.2m tinny after all.

The etec is brilliant. I have the luxury of two props to choose from, a 13.75X15 for heavy loads or going over bars etc where I need rapid acceleration. Top speed about 25kts. And a 13.25X17 which is not as quick on acceleration but has a top speed of about 31-32kts when solo. I use it for fishing in the river and lakes.

lanceair

castlemaine
01-02-2009, 08:29 PM
I heard of cracks in Bluefin, Quintrex (I own one) and Stessco. I know a ex-pro fisherman that bought a Stessco and when I talked to him last Easter he was very happy with it. Often takes it off Noosa bar.
I reckon in the price it's the motor package and gizmos that will make major the difference between the boats you're looking at.
Plus take them for a water test.
Big decision and be prepared you'll never get it 100% right. 90% would be good.
Cheers 8-)

twist
01-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Bluefin, Bluefin, Bluefin,

I bought a Stessco new and sold it back to the dealer with four large cracks in it after eighteen months. I have a friend with a bluefin and it is solid.

Bennywise
02-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Thanks for everyones feed back.

It looks like I am sold on the Bluefin..... I live down the road from coorparoo marine and out of all the dealers I have been to, they have been the most helpful. I work in sales myself and if I treated my customers the way I was treated by some dealers, I wouldn't have a job. When I look at making a purchase, I regard customer service 1st and price 2nd. It's great if you find the best price, however I believe after sales service is the most important thing.

Couple of questions for the Bluefin owners:

1) I want to extend the front casting deck of the MJ. Should I get the factory to do this or where is a good place to get this done after I purchase the boat?

2) I was pretty keen to get a 40hp E-tec or 40HP TLDI. I don't do trolling, and I will be fitting an electric. I just want to get a good performing, fuel efficient motor. I like the PTT set up on the E-tec tiller. I don't want to start a 2st vs 4st debate, however is there really that much difference say between a merc 4st and E-tec? I have been told I can get a remote switch for the Merc PTT which will make it alot user friendly.

Thanks again

Ben

siegfried
02-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Hey Benny , my stessco broke too. Cracks along the keel both sides multiple repairs no joy ...never again

BARRA73
02-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Bennywise,

Good choice mate, I too went through the same saga last year and ended up going for a bluefin wildcat with a 60hp e-tec with minn kota etc. I believe that if you want the casting deck raised talk with your dealer and he can work it out with bluefin however after having mine for a year now I actually prefer the deck being that little bit lower, if I want to get up higher I just stand on the side decks as these boats are stable enough and I've never gone close to taking a swim. Plus I want to put lighting under the side decks on the front end.
Mate you can't go wrong with the e-tec, it's the first one I've owned and would gladly get another one. I'm super impressed with the reliability and economy of the thing. I don't know what size fuel tank are on the mangrove jack I know mine has a 60lt tank and if you fill it once you get some serious mileage out of it. The low useage of oil after the first 20hrs is low to say the least however I'm sure the mercury are a good engine as well. Just do a bit of research in getting the right prop and engine height set up for that model and you wont regret your choice.

marty+jojo
02-02-2009, 04:12 PM
If you are getting your boat built for you, it should not be a problem to have the deck modified at Blue fin during construction. When i got my boat made i had them put checker plate in front of the casting deck and an extra rib under it so it would not flex when i stand there cast netting for prawns, also told them to keep there anchor well, as i never anchor.
Marty.