PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Somerset

Raydog
28-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Hey everyone, i love casting lures for bass and i have fished somerset twice in the last 2 weeks and am going again on friday, but every time i have been to somerset i have fished 7 to 10hrs with out a hit.

i have casted hardbodies, poppers, plastics, jackalls-soft silent and rattle, spinnerbaits, icejigs and tail spinners and still no luck. I have fished nearly everywhere i have found schools of fish, mainly in Bay 13 and red rock and i have used nearly every technique i kno, but no matter what i do i still cant get one.

So im wondering if anyone has an idea of what i could try with out using bait or trolling.:(

big schlong
29-01-2009, 07:16 AM
gday raydog,

we have found somerset in the same way sometimes, the best bet if its hard fishing is to just stick to the schools and use your plastics,tailspinners,masks,we have been having alot of success on the megabass silents , either the sumartras or the vibration-x's , i know its frustrating but if you stick with them for a while
(sometimes 3-4 hours) you will hook a few, we are heading there this sat morning and will be out there on the flats,we are in a dark blue hornet with brown carpet ,
if your gonna be there mate motor over and have a chat .......jase ;)

Jungle Jim
29-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Hey mate i have had similar experiences. Fished the edge for a few hours for one touch then went looking for schooled up fish........
Found some schooled up fish near bay 13 and absolutely cleaned up. Went back the next weekend thinking we had it sussed - For a doughnut.

p.s i know you said without trolling but you could try trolling 2 different depth lures through the schools. Any results might help you pinpoint what depth they are feeding at then you can adjust your approach accordingly...we found on both trips that there was a very definitive thermocline.

hope this helps

JIM

Bad_Bazza
29-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Raydog,
I have fished on Somerset the last two weeks and have managed 22 and 25 good to very good bass.
Firstly I have to say that I have not had an electric for two & a half months waiting for repairs (just got it back again this week) to be completed so have had to rely on finding fish on the sounder then using my GPS & drift sock to continually drift over the fish.
Some points that may help;
1/ The fish are moving about quite a bit so you need to sound around until you find signs of them. If you lose the go find them again they will not be too far away.
2/ There is a lot of small fish sitting in the thermocline at around 20 ot 25 ft but if you want bigger fish look for them sitting just below the thermocline and on the bottom.
3/ Look for fish around areas of changes in depth going from 20 ft to 35+ ft.
4/ Areas that I have caught fish range from One tree point to the south side of Pelican Point.
Most of my fish have come on slow rolling Evergreen Little Max blades both 1/4 oz (when it is calmer) and the 3/8 oz when the wind starts to kick.
I have also had success using plastics on 1/2 oz and 5/8 oz heads.
A good place to start with plastics would be Sliders in Baby Bass or Tenesee Shad and Squidgy Fish 60 mm in Silver/Fox or Gold/Black.
If the blades are not working then I switch to plastics and vice versa.
Another thing that I have noticed that the fishing gets better when the wind kicks in (most boats start to disappear about that time!) and from about 10 am onwards.

Hope this helps!

Jungle Jim
29-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Raydog,
I have fished on Somerset the last two weeks and have managed 22 and 25 good to very good bass.
Firstly I have to say that I have not had an electric for two & a half months waiting for repairs (just got it back again this week) to be completed so have had to rely on finding fish on the sounder then using my GPS & drift sock to continually drift over the fish.
Some points that may help;
1/ The fish are moving about quite a bit so you need to sound around until you find signs of them. If you lose the go find them again they will not be too far away.
2/ There is a lot of small fish sitting in the thermocline at around 20 ot 25 ft but if you want bigger fish look for them sitting just below the thermocline and on the bottom.
3/ Look for fish around areas of changes in depth going from 20 ft to 35+ ft.
4/ Areas that I have caught fish range from One tree point to the south side of Pelican Point.
Most of my fish have come on slow rolling Evergreen Little Max blades both 1/4 oz (when it is calmer) and the 3/8 oz when the wind starts to kick.
I have also had success using plastics on 1/2 oz and 5/8 oz heads.
A good place to start with plastics would be Sliders in Baby Bass or Tenesee Shad and Squidgy Fish 60 mm in Silver/Fox or Gold/Black.
If the blades are not working then I switch to plastics and vice versa.
Another thing that I have noticed that the fishing gets better when the wind kicks in (most boats start to disappear about that time!) and from about 10 am onwards.

Hope this helps!

One of the best written - most useful post i have ever read.

JIM

Raydog
29-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks Bad Bazzza for that usefull bit of info i have u given me and its helped alot with what i can try do to catch some fish and have some fun.

Raydog
29-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks Big schlong for the info much appreciated also i will definately be there on fri but i will see how i go getting out on sat if i do end up going out on sat im in a white 4m ally craft that has the word SCOOTER IN BLUE down either side of my boat. might see ya

Raydog
29-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks jungle jim even thogh i not much of a fan of trolling i will also give that a shot, hopefully it will all work out when the fishin gets tuff

2manylures
29-01-2009, 11:15 PM
I have fished nearly everywhere i have found schools of fish

Without sounding like a smart-a*** and not knowing your level of expertise with running a sounder the best advice I can offer is to get to know your sounder 1st.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you are being deceived by what your screen is telling you.

I'm assuming that you are using it in auto mode and picking up lots of fish. If this s incorrect please dsregard all further comments.;D

Learn how to run your sounder manually as the fish you see under the boat more than likely aren't actual fish. Any thing at all with any air in it will show as a fish symbol, weed, sticks, bubbles, leaves & single bait fish to name a few.

If this is correct then I'd assume that you are fishing where the fish "aren't" because of sounder deceipt.

I don't like assuming but without knowing the full story sometimes one has to have an educated guess. You may be doing absolutely everything right angling wise yet your naivity with electronics is letting you down.;D

I'll leave it at that for the time being until I have more information.

BlitzBaga
01-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Guys

Try trolling Blitz Bagas in about 25 to 28ft of water, heaps of people have been catching lots of good Bass over the last couple of months . Try trolling the edges of the original riverbeds, that is the place to be.

Regards
Murray