PDA

View Full Version : Noosa Fizzer

Bladeca
28-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Up at 2am to make the trip to be at noosa for a 4am launch to go chase some mackeral. Before we left the Tewantin ramp, wayno threw the cast net trying to get some decent size boney bream to feed to the spotties. Only managed to get a couple of decent size ones rest were too small. Jumped in the boat and headed down the river.

Got to the bar about 4:50 with enough light to see rather large breakers :o coming in across it with the tide still going out but must have been near the bottom. First couple of sets were rather lumpy and got the boat crashing over them. Just about to the back of the line when one wave sat right up and started to crumble with us starting to go up it. Tim managed to get power on and get up it before it broke but we went fairly straight up off the top of it. Landed back fair in the low point with a huge thud. Now we were faced with another mongrel sitting up but this one was bigger and had started to break. As we were going up the face of it all I could think of was the simpson's version of the perfect storm with the crew going "SHIIIIIIIIIPWRECK'. Boat fired off the top of it at as close to perfectly vertical as you could get. It was a long way down. As we landed the motor cut out but thankfully we were clear of the breakers and got it started fairly quickly. At least we put on a good show for a couple of blokes fishing at the end carpark of the river.

The swell and sea were fairly big so we decided to motor over to the Jew Shoal to run baits around it. Swam out a couple of rigged pillies and a hardbody. Getting closer to the mark the swell was getting bigger and was sitting up with some breaking on the top. Motored around for about an hour with not a touch. Weren't even able to get spotties interested in a slug being thrown. Big seas and the wind blowing we decided to call it a day. Headed back in with still big breakers on the bar. Rode in on the back of 1 to get us over safely. Back at the ramp by 6:45.

I'm sure all three of us are going to be sore tomorrow.

Tewantin
28-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Glad to hear you made it out and in through the bar in one piece - sorry to hear it wasn't worth the risk.

skipalong
28-01-2009, 07:52 PM
your not the first mate a few weeks back a mate copped one on the bow of a 640 lightning and crushed the roof and windscreen very lucky to get out of it afloat.

unlucky with the fish though

cheers justin

Pistol_P
28-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Pretty crazy going out there ATM....:-/

Solid swell on a shallow bar and 20-25knot S/E....??

I know you can get some protection from the headland to fish Jew Shoal and Halls but its not worth the risk.

Pete

Bladeca
28-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Didn't think it was so bad at the time it was decided to go for it. Wind wasn't all that much and thought it was just some breakers on the bar cause of low tide and the change in swell direction. Well that was a bit incorrect we found out. One of the guys checked it yesterday and all seemed reasonably good so that was the only reason we came down. Thats the trouble with not living close by. If you are there at the right time you can get a clear patch and think all is hunky dory yet the rest of the day has been shocking. In hindsight I agree it was crazy going out, personally i would have preffered to still have been at home in bed ;D . I'm a bit of a wuss went it comes to lumpy seas.

aerordauto
29-01-2009, 07:05 AM
it might be a bit of a trip but mooloolaba is a safe bar and for a bit of fuel it is not worth risking the bar.noosa is roughly 40km.
cheers mark.

BLOOEY
29-01-2009, 09:40 AM
YIKES:-/ , I'm a bit of a wuss now myself with breaking bars after a bad experience. Damn shame about the mackies after going through that. Ben