PDA

View Full Version : Who still has an Aux ?

juju
28-01-2009, 01:54 PM
It wasnt that long ago the it was very common to see a litte aux hanging off the back of alot of boats...now you hardly see them now....wondering if anyone who has bought a new rig in say the last 5 years got a aux at the same time

backlash08
28-01-2009, 01:59 PM
from memory Billy Corton runs one on the CC 685? I wouldnt bother but if I was taking paying customers it might be different
cheers - Craig

marty+jojo
28-01-2009, 02:24 PM
I have a 55 pound Minn Kota on the front of my boat,,, does this count...LOL.
Marty.

Dirtysanchez
28-01-2009, 02:27 PM
I agree, I have an Leccy on the back of my tinny, on a little pod I made up, boat is a creek only vessel so IMO it is sufficient for me to get some of the way back, then it is down to the OARS I have on board too.

Noelm
28-01-2009, 02:32 PM
still see a few about, but nowhere near as many as years ago, I guess for maybe a couple of reasons, Motors are so much better now days, radio/mobile phone coverage is way better and probably 500 times as many Boats around as well, so the chances of being stranded for more than an hour or so is remote.

Chimo
28-01-2009, 02:40 PM
I have one but its the same size as the other one, does it for me!

Cheers
Chimo

Scott nthQld
28-01-2009, 03:16 PM
I don't either, but another member I've been fishing with does on the back of his 680 patriot a little honda 20hp 4stroke sitting next to a 250hp etec. It'd take a while coming in on the 20 if the etec failed for one reason or another.

Makes sense though, if for somereason your primary engine failed, I'd rather have te means to get in myself than having to rely on the already stretched resources of the VMR or coastguard.

Also, now, alot of the newer engines getting about need power to run the electric fuel pump, even if pull starting (which I learnt from experience) so what would happen if you had a battery failure?

Mike Delisser
28-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Scott NthQld do you know if that 20hp Honda auxiliary came standard with the Etec????? ;D

Sorry guys, couldn't help myself, I'm sure there are a few Etecs out there that are very reliable.

Scott nthQld
28-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Nope not standard, but he wanted an aux and the dealer only had etec or honda, he was a bit iffy with the etec to begin with so he took the honda aux option, also etec didn't make them that small at that stage. But he's pretty happy with the etec the last I heard.

disorderly
28-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Think you missed the point ,Scott..

M62 was making a funny..::);D

PinHead
28-01-2009, 04:08 PM
biught boat 12 months back...not bothered with an aux...motors these days are a lot more reliable than previously.

Steeler
28-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Hi All.If you own a Merc or a Mariner you don't need one.Sorry i also could not help myself lol.

FNQCairns
28-01-2009, 04:40 PM
I want one, doesn't matter what boat it is I like the idea of an an aux on the back.

cheers fnq

jeffrey_h
28-01-2009, 05:05 PM
I went outside with a "mate' who was so far away when my main failed that I could not contact him by phone, he had no radio.

I got back inside from 6 nm offshore, with offshore wind, with my 15 hp Johno, then all the way to Manly Harbour, pushing my 5 mt.

Electrical AND fuel fault at the same time.

I will never go offshore with-out one.

Jeffrey

lethal098
28-01-2009, 05:07 PM
i am waiting for the arguments to start again etec vs merc vs yamaha vs honda cant wait for it to start again, anyway back to the subject i have a friend with a 7.4meter lazercraft with diesel and whenever he goes out by himself (eg 1 boat) he carries a 20hp aux, i spose its better to be safe than sorry, easy to have a little power if you get caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, would hate to have to rely on dropping the pick to keep you out of trouble. cheers lethal

Scott nthQld
28-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Think you missed the point ,Scott..

M62 was making a funny..::);D

I know, but I really don't think we need another thread on etec vs 4stroke so I thought I'd head it off. Let's not start 2009 with one, I'm sure we can give it at least one month....lol

jtpython
28-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Like most have said coverage with phone's and motors are top notch now plus being a member of the Coast Guard and get 2 free tows each year to 30 NM is a bonus.
My father use to have a 6 horse Mariner longshaft for his boat which mains use was as a trolling motor for spoons worked a treat
JT

grey_inflatable
28-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Hi all when i was growing up in south africa it was law, u had to have aux if outside. i dont think they have as many vmrs over there. makes sense to me id rather sort my self out than have to ask for help id have one but no room on my ex surf rescue boat cheers and safe boating

black runner
29-01-2009, 09:23 PM
I have an 8hp Johnson 2stroke Aux that I throw on just for peace of mind if going to more remote areas. Its more about potential damage to prop or lower unit if you hit something or prop gets fouled. At least the Aux can get you away from danger or hold station while sorting out the main.

If I am in the river or lake I don't bother with the Aux.
Cheers

oldboot
29-01-2009, 10:19 PM
I think it may also come down to two things.

No motor manufacturer wants to see his motor either advertised or presented in a show room with an auxiluary mounted beside it.....because it implies that their motor is unreliable......tell me if you have seen one sponsored boat with an auxiluary.......tell me if you have ever seen an add where there is an auxiluary on the back.

Consider also that the motor manufacturers have a big hand in hull sales and the marine finance thing

second... regardless no body who wants to buy a boat wants to spend the extra$$$ on a second motor.

besides where on many of these new boats would you put an aux.....and I am sure there are lots of people who would not put one on simply because they are uggly and would spoil the looks of their fancy new boat.

I honestly do not think it would even occur to a large portion of the boat owners.

cheers

siegfried
30-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Scott NthQld do you know if that 20hp Honda auxiliary came standard with the Etec????? ;D

Sorry guys, couldn't help myself, I'm sure there are a few Etecs out there that are very reliable.
heh heh heh

ozbee
30-01-2009, 03:04 PM
sorry to spoil your day siegfried but im the guy with the etec and Honda FUNNY THING IS IVE DONE ZERO HOURS ON THE HONDA AND HAVE HAD A RECALL WHILE THE ETEC 180 HRS AND NO RECALL

sorry to spoil your day

Spaniard_King
30-01-2009, 04:18 PM
sorry to spoil your day siegfried but im the guy with the etec and Honda FUNNY THING IS IVE DONE ZERO HOURS ON THE HONDA AND HAVE HAD A RECALL WHILE THE ETEC 180 HRS AND NO RECALL

sorry to spoil your day
Ozbee just to add to your day.. honda did the recall to mke an improvement to the engines fuel system where as if it was another brand they might just have changed it on next years model :P

ozscott
30-01-2009, 07:47 PM
I used to have a 12hp tohatsu when I had a blueband merc...and for good reason. I have a 93 115 Yammy now and havent mounted the 12 and bracket on her...and dont intend to. If I went places where there were crocs and bugger all support for example then I would seriously consider spending the dosh for one.

Cheers

littlejim
31-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Depends whether you want to spend your day waiting for help when the smelly brown material hits the rotary cooling device or look after yourself. I fork out for an annual service on the 70HP Evinrude each year and it is usually very reliable.
I've towed a couple of boats home.
Ive used my aux when corrosion in the solenoid meant no start late in the day. When the unseen kink in the fuel line meant the donk died after 500 metres, when the unseen fishhook hole in the fuel line limited the revs to about 1500, and when a fault in the oil pressure switch made it screech that I was going to bugger thousands of dollars worth of Evinrude.
The aux is also good for trolling.
I do my fishing solo, if you fish with a group the aux is probably unnecessary.

ozbee
31-01-2009, 06:15 PM
honda did the recall cause the carby bowl may deform and go BOOM

any how reason for kicker

250 hp e tec $26000

20 hp honda $4000

total $30000

2X150 hp $36000 LH+RH

advantage 50 more hp

1klm to2 klm top end

disadvantage 10 to 20%more fuel usage over single

drag from extra skeg deflates the extra 50 hp

major problem is that a150 hp can not get up my size boat. result back to a speed not much faster than a 20hp with a thrust prop or risk burning a hole in a piston.

up front saving of $ 6ooo . future trade in motor at 3 yrs if i get half plus saving of 6000 will give me$19000 so add another 6 to 8 im away again.

duels at half price will give $18000

outlay would be at least 18 to 20 thousand

end result save at least 10000 dollars plus around% 20 in fuel and one less in service costs also vmr are restricted to tidal heights

Spaniard_King
31-01-2009, 07:17 PM
honda did the recall cause the carby bowl may deform and go BOOM

seems your info is out ozbee, was ann upgrade due to the "possibility" the fuel chaimber could leak. It only happened on a few models but hey they upgraded them anyway;)

Here is part of the bulletin for ya. had to chop it as it was over 100kb

Dave_H
01-02-2009, 10:00 PM
I know you are mostly all from Qld (as I once was) however down here in NSW it is not legal to venture outside in a vessel <8m without a second method of propulsion - ie: aux, a paddle or an oar....

Dean1
02-02-2009, 06:59 AM
Ye I have an auxillary its a f60. If its twin is ever misbehaving this one will get me home ;) ;D

ozscott
02-02-2009, 07:04 AM
I have oars...wouldnt like to row the vagabond though...

Cheers

oldboot
02-02-2009, 11:17 AM
In QLD any registerd boat under 6m has to carry effective manual propulsion regardles of where they are.

But unless all aboard are built like vikings I don't think you are going to row very far in moat of the boats we are talknig about.

On the subject of manual propulsion.......there is a very strong case that the manual propulsion should be "effective" within reason.
There are lots of boats out there with token effort oars or paddles, with the idea that they have satisfied the GSO.

I think they are kidding themselves......The GSO states that the ship must be properly equiped and operated......If the manual propulsion on board can not be effectivly used, I do not believe the GSO has been satisfied.

There are a number of thing documented as required to satisfy the GSO, but it is far more wide than that.......anything that you do , fail to do or should have had aboard may be in contravention of the GSO

I can see that if boating in a remote area it would be in the spirit of the GSO to have an auxiluary.

If a boating situation went pear shaped and it came to prosecution, and the use of an AUX was common in that area or considered advisable, it may be that the lack of an AUX may be grounds for prosecution or claim for civil damages.

just a thaught.
cheers

juju
02-02-2009, 11:42 AM
With my old boat (a 15foot haines alloy) i ran out of fuel once at bribie...i was heading in and she gave a cough just before the bridge ...then died about halfway between the bridge and the marina ramp.....run out tide...was hopeless with the paddles....had to wave down a guy and get a tow.....id had a aux on it in the past and really missed it that day...the thing that put me off getting one with the new boat was it was an option to get the barcket and it would be on ethe same side as the driver..bad for weight when im solo....(couldnt go on the other side because of the ladder/door...)...