PDA

View Full Version : Anti-foul

Brian D
27-01-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm wondering if is it possible to restore a glass boat back to clean gelcoat after a life of anti-foul. Thinking of buying a particular boat and keeping on a trailer.

Jabba_
28-01-2009, 05:21 AM
Yes you can, but it is a little costly to remove and regell-coat the hull.. Pending on size and who does it, your up for $2500 - $5000.....

Blackened
28-01-2009, 06:26 AM
G'day Brian

Member Fat N Happy has been restoring a sharkcat, and within those threads, methods of how to remove the old antifoul has been discussed at length.

All I can say is it's a prick of a job. Lets hope you don't have a 50 footer or anything bigger......good luck

Dave

Coontakinta
28-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Bit of a novice with these things.
Why would u want to remove the anti foul?
My father had his 4.9m glass boat antifouled at the time of purchase (new) as it sits at his pontoon. So just interested to know why it needs to be removed

Brian D
28-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks for your input guys.It's a 23 Bertram that's lived in the water and will obviously look crook on a trailer.

TJ Bear
28-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Be far easier and cheaper to just get it cleaned up and re antifouled, we have some great looking coloured anti fouls we use at work.

freddofrog
28-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Personally I'd get over the whole ego thing and keep it on which is what I did. Doesn't look as good but it is functional.

Having said that, the guys who just bought my antifouled 5.2KC are going to get the antifoul removed by "soda blasting" whatever that is. Apparently it doesn't effect your gel coat at all, is finished by the next day and they were quoted $400. There's a local guy (in Perth/Malaga) who does it. Maybe do a web search and look into it?

cormorant
29-01-2009, 06:14 AM
Soda blasting is wet bicarb soda instead of sand in a sand blasting unit. Needs a good user and can give a good finish . All about the operator like with any sand blasting. Moisture helps keep poisionous antifould dust to a minimum.

$hell Perth is Cheap $400 wouldn't go near a dighy on the east coast

mirage
29-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Yeah, that's cheap, for $400 I'd get it done too. I got quoted $2,400 to do a KC2400 in BNE!

oldboot
29-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Why would you take the anti foul off?

1 Its uggly.....some would say realy uggy.

2 If it has been in the water continuously and hasnt been re antifouled in the last 2 to 5 years it probably needs re-doing anyway.

3 some of the antifoul jobs I have seen arent real smooth and I would expect you could get a few extra knots with a shinny bum

4 you are parking it in your yard and you dont like the idea that your children or dog may lick, chew or otherwise injest the stuff.......real concern or not....Hmmm.

cheers

David H
30-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Brian,

I have a Bertram 23 as well and also looked at getting the antifoul removed. I was quoted $3000 to have the bottom re gelcoated in white.

Didn't end up doing it though.

What year model Bertie re you looking at ?

Regards,

David.

BrenMac
31-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Antifoul makes a big diff to a boat's performance both with speed and economy. My last boat (5.5 plate ali) lost about 4-5 knots top end with new antifoul and just got worse the older the antfoul got.

I'd get it removed if the price was affordable.

Cheers
Brendan

Jabba_
31-01-2009, 05:25 AM
Where do you live Brian... If your on the Gold Coast Check out Hall Marine Finsh at Labrador, just behind the little BP station on Brisbane rd... There prices are very reasonable, and he does a very neat and top quality job... I have seen his work and my boat will be going to him as soon as I can afford to have the job done....

Brumby
31-01-2009, 09:54 AM
I'd think pretty hard before removing the antifoul from a boat the size of the Bertie, you're immediately restricting yourself to only having it on the water for short periods of time. Even smooth, out of the mould gelcoat doesn't take long to develop crud and stains in the water and you're unlikely to have as good a finish from a reapplication.

Sandman
31-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Mines anti fouled and sitting on a trailer looks fine , i actually touch the anti foul up as other have suggested. IMO leave it clean it and spend your money on other areas :)
Mick