PDA

View Full Version : northern NSW

rando
27-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Gday
Just back from the northern rivers where we managed a few trips out from Evens.
I was totally astounded by the amount of bait around. Everywhere we went the sounder showed acres of bait top to bottom.
The down side was that anything worth catching was lying on the bottom burping and farting cause it was stuffed to the gills.
So for the first time down there,I came away with a trio of do-nuts.
I did not see any macks at the cleaning table either ,only a few black tip sharks.
there were however a few tailor about , nothing huge, 2-2.5kg range.

stonecold
27-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Ahh well mate that makes me feel better for not having ventured out th Aust day long W.E!! Heard there were a few choppers about...where did you end up scorin gthem?

Cheers mark

tfish
27-01-2009, 09:11 PM
gday rando, was chattin to my mate who is down at Evans head at the moment and he said the same thing....reckons the bait is unbelievable!! they did manage to get themselves a feed of mixed reefies, nothing huge...biggest squire was around 3 kg, hopefully the mackies show up soon! cheers trav

rando
27-01-2009, 10:35 PM
stonecold
Tailor off the wall,you know where to get em.Couple off main beach.
Flogged the suds at shark baywith everything known , in water that had no right to not hold tailor,,, another do-nut.

stonecold
28-01-2009, 06:17 AM
Yeah thnx mate....was talking to another mate who got a little black on a live tailor at the back of redhill last week and had another cruise up to the boat. Doesnt suprise me with the bait about.
Another bloke poked out to the 48's for half dozen pealies before the southerly came up on Sunday.

Goldfinch
28-01-2009, 10:54 AM
I know what you mean Rando. I went out to the 24s on Sunday and found a paddock of bait. Dropped the nicest live slimmies down to the bottom and didn't get one inquiry. Plenty of taylor around as well. Put a couple out there on the leash and still nothing. Along came the wind and home we went. Bugger !!!

rando
28-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Those spots are a bit ambitious for my rig guys .Or the weather would have to be really good.
With this much feed around the table fish must turn it on sometime soon, with my luck Ill be stuck here in Brisvegas when they come on.

theoldlegend
29-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Has the Council fixed up that little stretch of road yet Rando? :-/

You know the one I'm always whinging about.

TOL

stonecold
29-01-2009, 09:27 AM
How bigs your rig Rando?...you dont have to go far to get a bite on the rite day. 1st black i ever caught was only 1mile or so out from 40ft at Evans

rando
31-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Stoney
Older model Clark Abalone 4.5 mt , with an '86 merc.
I am just about to re-power ,with a 50 Tohatsu , Ill feel more confident with a later model motor on the back, had a few reliability issues. Its a good little outfit , but I would still like a bit more freeboard for going wider, mainly because most of my offshore experience has been in yachts and bigger cruisers.
I might have developed a false sence of security from being in big capable boats. So I am deliberately over-cautious till my small boat skills develop a bit.
<
Tol
No mate you still need an M1A1 to get out there, February is the rumour Ive heard.

stonecold
31-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Nothing wrong with being over cautious mate better to be safe than sorry.

mattooty
31-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Tol, its definately going to be in february (next year or the year after, or hey maybe even the february after that?)

Rando, poking around in shark bay you'd be fine in your rig. Hey, I've been out through the bar before in my mates 4.2m with a 20hp on the back. We ended up bagging out on spotties. Mind you I did keep a close eye on the lifejackets.

Riptide_45
01-02-2009, 01:10 PM
yeh mate got back from evans yesterday and the start of the week was good offshore hey. we fished around chaos and cleaned up twice. all good qaulity squire with the biggest goin 6.5-7kg on plastics and a good pearlie goin about 3-3.5kg. got these ova 2 trips. 24 fish in 2 trips. which both times we were only out for 3-4hrs.