PDA

View Full Version : Redcliffe Billfish Challenge

ooglie74
27-01-2009, 07:19 PM
I fished on Seadog 2 with daryl and matt.

Hit the cape first and we were rewarded with a tagged black at 7.20 the first for the competition.

Worked the area until lunch then worked south then north didnt get another shot.
Witchdoctor tagged 2 sails and several boats tagged either a black or sail each.

There where a few fish weighed I think 1 of a 15kg wahoo and a big dollie.

Day 2 we headed back to same place we started on day 1 good bait holding a bit deeper than the day before.
Start fishing was called at 7am.
7.05 we had a black jumpimg around that them the hooks
Tagged a second at 8.40 Matts first.
Reel Magic tagged a black not long after
Big Business laso tagged a black just after that.
Had another shot just before lunch a small fish 10kg that was having trouble eating the lure.Had 7 shots then tried the rigger then left the spread.
4 boats on 2 billfish.
Along wait with not alot happening anywhere.
Cease fishing was at 4pm.
3.40 big business hooks up on the tournament winning fish.
A nervous wait for all.
3.50 they radio in saying they lost it 4 inches from the tagpole.
Cease fishing called, we let a yell of excitment out.
The end results being 1st Witchdoctor on a countback 2nd Seadog 2 3rd Reel Magic.

We won: Champion boat under 7 mtrs
First Billfish
Champion Angler on a coulnt back.
2nd boat over all
Im sure of the end number of fish I think maybe 7 sails 12 blacks and a few other that where weighed.

A great tournament plenty of fun had by all.
Great food,great people, great fun.

Cheers Troy

skipalong
27-01-2009, 07:28 PM
awesome fish troy well done on the second mate

cheers justin

jeffo
27-01-2009, 07:45 PM
well done Troy.

I was surprised to hear how slow the fishing was down that way. We had plenty of fish here over the weekend. I went 3 from 7 for the 3 days, with plenty of others caught around me and in other areas off the sunny coast.

Seadog 2
27-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks Troy for the post I didn't go into details on the other post as I knew you would put one up.Thanks also to you and Matt for fishing with me always a plesure. got some more pics coming off Matts camera.

Cheers Daryl

the linesman
27-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Well done Troy shame about fish numbers but it sounds like a few boats got a bit of a sniff. You could have topped it off by winning the car. Barry

ooglie74
27-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Yeah barry would have been nice but won a tld20 anyway in the last man standing.
There was $40000 in prizes up for grabs in that alone.

Jeffo on saturday we where marking fish on the bait they just didnt want to play.
The boats where spread around witchdoctor was north of hutchies on the 50 mtr line.
We where at the cape.
Big Business was off south passage bar
Reel Magic was at the cape and wider.

Cheers Troy

captain rednut
27-01-2009, 08:56 PM
well done troy! you blokes kicked ass, it was a great tournament and we enjoyed it even though the fishing was tough.
thanks jim

nofrills
27-01-2009, 09:13 PM
good on ya troy well done

cheers scotty

ooglie74
27-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Sunday nite got a bit wild didnt it Jim.

Cheers Troy

kokomo
27-01-2009, 10:45 PM
most fish caught with livies or lures??

good stuff i hope to get my act together next year for it

sleepygreg
28-01-2009, 12:23 AM
It was great to see so many Ausfishers in the Tournament. It goes to prove that you dont need to have a Mega Boat to fish and be successfull in a gamefishing tournament. Congrats to Seadog and the crew....it was a damned fine effort. Witchdoctor had all the cards dealt their way......and they played em right. Geez.....if we had hooked up on the strikes we had on About Time maybe I would be bragging now....lol....thats why they call it fishing not catching.

It was great to meet a few of the Ausfish guys over the weekend, and yes troy...the sunday night party was rather severe.....i just hope everyone understood me at the presentation.

I will post up some raw stats from the tournament once the recorders have sobered up, as well as a list of the winners.....though Troy has done a great summary of the tournament.

Cheers
Greg

Midnight
28-01-2009, 01:14 AM
Good show chaps! as they say

I'm pleased to see that the lack of action didn't dampen the spirits.

Tournament fishing is great fun, just for the sake of it!

Well done to all involved, it sounds like you all had a great time.

I'm sure I will stop sulking about missing it soon!(Damn work!)

Cheers,

Myles

TimiBoy
28-01-2009, 05:34 AM
Geez that story gets the juices flowing! Thanks for that, I'm still trying to get my head around billie fishing, never caught one, gonna gonna gonna! Got the right boat, right gear, just too friggin' busy!

Cheers,

Tim

jeffo
28-01-2009, 05:49 AM
Troy, did any one live bait the schools that had fish on them? We have found live baiting has won hands down over trolling this season. Especially on the weekend just gone.

blue fin
28-01-2009, 09:59 AM
nice work boys!!

blue fin
28-01-2009, 09:59 AM
nice work boys!!! Awesome stuff!!

Frank OO
28-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Hi Troy and the Members of Sea Dog,

Congratulations to the team. It must be great to have the two guys on board that have the required knowledge Troy. I suppose you must have learnt a lot last weekend.

Saturday was not a nice day but all of the small boats kept on keeping on.

Well done to all.

Frank OO

ooglie74
28-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Jeff the bait was moving around alot and really patchy.
It was on your mark the first pass and come around again it was moved.
I thought about live baiting but with the wind,rain and the way bait was moving around I thought better of it.
I not sure what alot of the other boats did mate but it seemed that most where trolling.

Cheers Troy

Fishbait
28-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Nice work Troy - Congratulations mate to you and crew. Cheers, Darren

Getout
28-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Hey boys, I'm off to collect the car tomorrow. = VERY HAPPY ANGLER.
We had a top time all weekend, even tho we only spun the reels twice, once on an unknown speedster and once on the biggest Moses Perch I've ever seen! (was tempted to tag it!)
Saturday's conditions were hard going in a trailer bucket!!

ooglie74
28-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Good on you for winning the car.
There was certianly soem awesome prizes in the last man standing.

Cheers Troy

sleepygreg
28-01-2009, 11:22 PM
Good on you Mal. Hope you have many happy times in the Jiminy.

Cheers
Greg