PDA

View Full Version : which second hand motor

rando
27-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Hi everyone
About 12 months ago i acquired an older Clark Abalone CC.Powered by an '86 35hp Merc .Ive had a few problems as expected with an older motor ,minor stuff , and the motor at the moment is running beautifully. Seems a bit thirsty ,about 2km/lt, roughly. and gets about 34km/h wot .
I would like to upgrade to a later model 40/50 hp motor,and I am leaning towards a yammy or a suzuki.
Yammy because the local dealer is yamaha. Suzi, because the ones ive seen in the larger capacities seem quiet and compact. Throw in tohatsu,,,, cause they're cheap.
Where can i get a reliable later model outboard,and what brand/s should i look at.
I know this will bring a lot of partisan advice, but I need a bit of help on what to look out for.
cheers
rando

Noelm
27-01-2009, 12:40 PM
I reckon as long as you can find a good second hand Motor, the brand will make bugger all difference, like everything second hand, it is a lucky dip, but there are times when people sell for legitimate reasons other than something is stuffed and has been patched up, and bargains can be found.

garman1
27-01-2009, 12:50 PM
If the motor is running perfectly, but running a bit thirsty, maybe the motor is sitting too low in the water....? Mine used a bit more fuel than I thought it should and after talking to those with more knowledge, I lifted it up two holes higher and made an improvement on fuel and performance ....It will cost nothing to lift the motor up a hole or two.

Mind you there is nothing wrong having a nice shiny new baby on the back of the boat either !!!!!

Good to have choices.......?

revs57
27-01-2009, 02:09 PM
G'day Rob,

All the best for the New Year to you and yours...mate. I reckon Noel's call is a good one, having said that, a 50 tohey of the selection offered would be the go I reckon. Cheap to buy, run and maintain and ultra reliable. Just about anyone can service them...piece of cake

cheers from me and mine!

Rhys

rando
27-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Gday Rhys
Same back at ya bloke.
All good at our end, we still hav'nt got around to that catch -up and beer. but Im sure we will put it to bed one day soon.
Tohatsu, is the most attractive for$$$, but a lot of the 50s were raced in thunderboats so may have been flogged/ dunked/bashed on the sand.
I reacon whatever we get its going to be a" lucky dip"