PDA

View Full Version : Getting boats checked out

LoungeLizard
27-01-2009, 12:08 PM
If you're lucky enough to live in the country (like me;)) you're often forced to look for boats in larger towns/cities. Problem is you have no idea what a boat really looks like until you've seen it first hand.

Now it's obviously not possible to drive hundreds if not thousands of k's to go and look at each boat that looks promising. Question is: Is there someone that'll do some checks on boats like the NRMA, RACQ etc does for cars?? Please post details here if you know of someone. Currently I'm looking for someone in the Melbourne area but I'm sure info for other cities/major towns will be handy for others reading this. TIA

Noelm
27-01-2009, 12:43 PM
if you have something in mind, first off a couple of pictures emailed by the seller can sort out any real crap, then a quick post in a forum (like this) and someone will live near by and be able to have a quick look to see if it worth further investigation, from there a Marine dealer/Surveyer can do the proper checks (for a price of course) and after that a trip by you is in order.

LoungeLizard
27-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Yeah pics will help but I've seen it before where people say "excellent condition" but when you see the boat it's anything but. The thing is not many people will ask a total stranger to go and look at a boat for them. I know I'll find it pretty hard to do.

You mention marine dealers but I've had very limited luck finding someone who'll actually do it. I've called one or two of the bigger dealers and they basically said it wasn't worth their while - I think they'd rather sell you one of their boats to be honest!

TJ Bear
27-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Really depends how much you are spending, if it is over 50k a marine surveyor can give you real piece of mind, all are qualified boat builders and know what they are looking at but as Noelm said they will cost.

FNQCairns
27-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Try here, throw up some pics and be sure you are serious, then if the feedback on the brand and style of boat is good ask if anyone lives close that may run an eye over it and report back whether it's worthy of being checked out professionally, often the owner is not unhappy to drop off/pick up the boat from a dealers/mechanics. Just make sure all those doing the checking know it's you not the owner who is paying the inspection fee as the report is none of the owners business unless you choose it to be.

cheers fnq