PDA

View Full Version : Tweed nine mile - a day of misfortune

powderchaser
27-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Hi All,

i am pretty new to this but i read all your threads and thought i might share the miss fortune of my day at nine mile, tweed heads yeasterday.

Left Gold coast seaway at 4am, hit nine mile just after sun up and trolled with hard body lures

First strike at a weed bed between the inner and outer reefs and the lure was spat about 10seconds in.

A ray of light as a 5kg stripey tuna was landed and hour later but then disaster.......

We switched to skirts/hex heads, placed the teazer out and within 20min a nice spaniard (approx 1.4m long) it ran twice from near the boat and on the third attempt the gaf missed as it went for another run and the line was snapped..:'(

Take two we started again and for about 45min nothing, but then........ the rod bent and out came a dolphin fish about 45m behind the boat and before we could grab the rod i saw the line draping over the outrigger, it snapped. The fish jumped another time and then the mood went somber :'(

We called it and drove to Palm beach reef where we ended on a brighter not with the skip landing a 4-5kg spaniard on a squid skirt and pillie.

The opportunities were their but the results were not. I will upload a profile picture soon and a photo of the fillets as the came did not come out as it would have been thrown over board.

Thanks to the Skip (Jon) and the boys (Glen and Paul) for a great day, it was great despite the losses.

Cheers

Dan ;)

Stonkered
27-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Nice one CS...

Can't wait to see the pics of the fillets;)

Hope the seabreeze is wrong about next weekend. I really want to get out off Noosa and get stuck into some macks with ya

Sharkie
27-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Unlucky with that mate. Sounds like you had a shocker. I'm sure most of us have had at least one day like this. On the upside tho, you were getting fish. We've trolled around there countless times for diddley squat.

Unlucky once again and better luck next time

Cheers
Paul

powderchaser
27-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Thanks Sharkie, i have had plenty of those days two. I am only now really starting to get some hookups as i have been on a step learning curve

Jabba_
27-01-2009, 05:12 PM
At least you were getting hit by the suckers.. I spent over 5hrs trolling off southport and up to the coffee rocks and didn't get a bite...

kitty_cat
27-01-2009, 05:16 PM
sounds like a good day dan to bad about not boating everything

us to jabba 10 and 1/2 hrs not even a strike about 2 weeks ago
must be some sort of record not even a rachet click

powderchaser
28-01-2009, 09:11 AM
thanks guys, we were lucky for the hits but i find it more frustrating when lost coz u think of what could have been, if their are no hits then its drowning sorrows in beer and move on to next time.. ha

Ill be back out in a few weeks, maybe try noosa. will keep u posted and with photo's next time

Cheers

Dan