PDA

View Full Version : My Sportfisher/ Fishing boat build update

mungindi
27-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Morning,
just thought I would post a couple of some progress on my boat build, the transom set up is all finished, and I have put on all the non skid around the gunwales and the transom area. I pretty happy how it has turned out just a couple of light area that I have to touch up. Now it's just the rubrail, bow rail and a few shiny bit's rod holders hand rails etc,then it's onto the trailer. Not really happening as fast as I would like but it's getting there.

Gary

The-easyrider
27-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Looks great8-) did you build it from scratch or is it a rebuild

mungindi
27-01-2009, 03:18 PM
G/day easyrider,
Yeah mate I built it from scratch if you hit the link it will show you some pictures of the build stages
http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s303/garyboat/Boat%20construction/
Thank's
Gary

Bruce_Bogtrotter
27-01-2009, 03:37 PM
That's an impressive effort, well done. I didn't realise it was a wooden boat until i checked out your link...

Mindi
27-01-2009, 04:07 PM
beautiful work Gary congratulations , building a wooden boat was maybe the best thing I ever did for myself but nothing like that standard. Hope you get years of satisfaction like I did. Hull build looks awesome, cedar strips I guess...?...remember the stage towards the end of the hull work where you couldn't imagine ever getting to the end..?
What motor is planned..?

mungindi
27-01-2009, 04:38 PM
G/day Bruce,Mindi
Thank's for the compliments, the core material is BS 1008 meranti marine ply competely covered in a heap of layers of Biaxial & Double Bias fabric laminated with epoxy both inside and out side the hull. I'm putting a DF140 hp Suzuki on the back end, that's if I ever manage to get the rub rail on my arms are about 3ft to short. Your'e right Mindi it is a long road building it but I think it will pay off in the end. I would have liked to built a traditional wooden boat but it would take a lot more skill and time than what I will ever have
Thank's
Gary

Mindi
27-01-2009, 04:48 PM
This photo fooled me, looked like 1" cedar strips but now that you explain I see it. They wouldnt be laid up across the chine like that anyway.
What finished weight are you going for..?

pilchardjones
27-01-2009, 10:28 PM
awesome work. thanks for sharing.
steve

mungindi
27-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Mindi I think it's supposed to come in at about 1100 kgs fully rigged I wont know the final weight till I run it over the scales with the trailer at the weigh bridge.
Hey Steve thank's for the compliment
Gary

upstart
27-01-2009, 11:13 PM
Mate, that looks brilliant!!

ffejsmada
28-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Gary, I've been following your progress since the very first post you put up.

It's looking great mate.

I built a 13ft traditional Scottish sailing dory, full length keel, a few years back, I know the work involved.
Sand, sand, sand,sand etc, etc.

Congrats mate, nearly there!!!!!

Cheers, Jeff.

cbs
28-01-2009, 09:30 AM
the core material is BS 1008 meranti marine ply competely covered in a heap of layers of Biaxial & Double Bias fabric laminated with epoxy both inside and out side the hull.

Hi Gary,

Great Work!

I guess with a construction technique like that your boat would be more correctly termed a "composite" build rather than a woody. With all of that epoxy and multiaxial fibreglass slapped on it, your hull would be quite a lot stronger and stiffer than the equivilant thickness polyester/roving/mat (and plywood) construction techniques that nearly all of the production boats employ. I image that it would almost outlast religion too assuming you do your penetrations right. Epoxy is great stuff for boats but I guess thats what you are paying for.

Keep it coming!

cbs