PDA

View Full Version : chasing garden worms to buy arond brissy northside

greg30
26-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Hi guys looking to head out west next couple of weeks looking to buy some earthworms for fereshwater i live on northside . Does anyone konw where i could pick some up from cheers greg30

bustaonenut
27-01-2009, 06:15 AM
Any produce shop or pet shop should sell earth worms.

If you want to know if you have any in the garden just sprinkle a bit of laundry detergent on the ground and water it in. If there are any they will all come out.

fishel
27-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Any produce shop or pet shop should sell earth worms.

If you want to know if you have any in the garden just sprinkle a bit of laundry detergent on the ground and water it in. If there are any they will all come out.

Thanks, I didn't know you could find them that way.

In the garden the best place to look is a spot where it stays moist, like under a tap or a regularly watered garden. For those with stock, their favorite diet is manure, but I assume they don't like large quantities - I never find any in my cow shed. I found a good quantity under a concrete water trough which sat on the ground.

Up here (Toowoomba) fishing shops which are privately owned sell earth worms.

Cheers Eleanor

fishel
27-01-2009, 08:00 AM
If you buy some open the container and check if they are alive as I have heard of people buying them and when they go to used them they have all dead!

breamexplorer
27-01-2009, 09:21 AM
A good place to get worms if close enough is at Landsborough. He is on the way out towards Melany. He sells all types and not that dear, we stopped in on the way to Barumba Dam and picked up some African Night Crawlers, His number is 0754941512..
Craig....

Dirtysanchez
27-01-2009, 09:27 AM
I'd agree with the detergent concept, once I cleaned my home brew barrel outside near the laundry door, and when I had finished I tipped the brew detergent into the garden and a heap of worms came out, because the brew detergent is alkaline the worms didn't like it much.. they were obviously unhappy with it. I got an old ice cream container from the shed, filled it with tank water and threw a couple in.. they seem to recover, but another one I missed seemed to die quickly

Just_chips
29-01-2009, 02:41 PM
The Tackleshop at the servo at carseldine as the highway called 'Bruce' starts used to sell punets of african night crawlers.

Kev

struktcha_man
29-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Mate
its a long shot but worked for me very well a few times.
If you know of any cattle yards, then go and have a dig where they hose the trucks down ;) , should get some nice wrigglers and mostly noone cares in those sort of places because its not right on the yards.

Sorry don't know where to buy any but its handy to know as there are plenty of cattle yard out west.

Just thought I would throw it in.

cheers

groverwa
29-01-2009, 04:35 PM
A damp hessian bag placed flat on the groung in a damp cool area should get some to come up - also look around\ under rocks in damp areas with a garden fork - not a shovel or spade

Vege scraps under the bag will get them moving also

For a long term solution get or make a worm farm and the wormy water is good for the garden also.

Garden centres sell packs for starting worm populations but I have been told that Red Wrigglers are not much good for bait

Mike

Bearclaw
29-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Just don't buy compost worms (tiger worms) they release a substance that certain spieces of fish off.