PDA

View Full Version : They get you with the extras !!!

juju
26-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Just surfing around...looking at different websites i had a look at a 5.5 Dominator...the one that stands out is the bilge pump!! seems slightly high to me when the pump itself costs about $70.....wonder how many you get with a "system"

Twin Mercury 60hp Bigfoot 2 Stroke (S36 Rigging Kit) $47,292
Twin Mercury 60hp Big Foot 4 Stroke (S36 Rigging Kit) $48,976
Twin Honda 50hp 4 Stroke $49,310
Dealer Delivery, Water Testing and Custom Registrations $895Trailer if Required:

Mackay PC5000 14” mech/brakes (GVM1480kg) $6,318Electronics:

Navman 8084 combo sounder & GPS including map $3,925
Navman Track Fish 6600 combo sounder & GPS including map $3,025
Navman 5” colour tracker GPS 5507 including map $1,995
Navman 5” colour sounder 4507 $1,395General:

Battery crossover system $791
Bilge pump – Rule 1100 gph bilge pump system $679
Bait prep board S/S $820
Bow Rail $1,114
Burley bucket transom mount $234
Carpet – Marine cockpit $385
Carpet- upgrade to deluxe $261
Hydraulic steering – Hydrive $1,306
Heavy duty deck wash system $594
O/R Pole Set Gunnel Mount 4.5m Poles $1,330
Radios GME 27 mghz $468
Radios VHF $578
Radios AM/FM CD $701
Rocket Launcher- Folding $1,361
Canopy- soft top ridge folding S/S frame $2,269
Seats – Rear quarter removable (pair) $523
Vinyl ester tie layer $447
Windscreen grab rail S/S $578

Chimo
26-01-2009, 12:18 PM
JJ

There is a lot to be said for buying second hand esp in this climate !

C

Mindi
26-01-2009, 12:25 PM
rip off city...VHF....retail $239 plus good antenna $69 so less to them...plus about 1 hour to install depending on how simple or clever you get....$578..? good luck.

The Navman 5507 for $1995 is a pretty sharp price...NOT..!!...$899 at Whitworths without even looking further and you can usually better Whitworths....and thats retail also...so 500-600 to install a countertop GPS...well you DO have to connect it to the power I guess.

Dean1
26-01-2009, 02:07 PM
rip off city...VHF....retail $239 plus good antenna $69 so less to them...plus about 1 hour to install depending on how simple or clever you get....$578..? good luck.

The Navman 5507 for $1395 is a pretty sharp price...NOT..!!...$899 at Whitworths without even looking further and you can usually better Whitworths....and thats retail also...so 500-600 to install a countertop GPS...well you DO have to connect it to the power I guess.
Hey Mindi is that price of $899 for the 5507 without the card surely its not with the card?? Cheers.

Mindi
26-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Good point... if you add $174 for the C-Map from Whitworths you get to $1074 compared to their quote of $1995...? (not $1395 as I first read)

FNQCairns
26-01-2009, 02:54 PM
I wonder if that bilge pump has a dash controller as well as a float switch, if so the total parts price picks up some, all the bits and pieces sure add up. After reading your costs I am more glad than ever I fuddle away myself fitting all these types of things.

cheers fnq

PinHead
26-01-2009, 03:09 PM
"Navman 8084 combo sounder & GPS including map $3,925"

I think mine was about 2300 fitted when i bought the boat just over a year ago.

Lovey80
27-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Bugger me! That is some serious dollars for fitting. If I were you I'd buy a bare hull and source all the kit separately and get GM to fit it all for ya. I can't vouch for him myself but others have in the past and would give him a shout before paying those prices.

Cheers

Chris

Mindi
27-01-2009, 07:04 AM
Bugger me! That is some serious dollars for fitting. If I were you I'd buy a bare hull and source all the kit separately and get GM to fit it all for ya. I can't vouch for him myself but others have in the past and would give him a shout before paying those prices.

Cheers

Chris

absolutely...I dont know GM but if you are not inclined to fit this stuff yourself which is not hard if thats your thing...then someone skilled would do it as a package job ...get recommendations from this forum...but if you are at all handy then the best thing is to fitout yourself as you know exactly where everything goes and can do a good a job as you like. Fitting radios, sounders, GPS, and bilge pumps just requires some basic 12V capability and a bit of care. two trickiest bits are getting the fishfinder transducer routed and positioned well and wiring a fused switch panel safely to power the equipment

Jabba_
27-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Just surfing around...looking at different websites i had a look at a 5.5 Dominator...the one that stands out is the bilge pump!! seems slightly high to me when the pump itself costs about $70.....wonder how many you get with a "system"

Bilge pump – Rule 1100 gph bilge pump system $679

I had a Rule 3000gph bilge pump instaled with stainless external fitting for $350 from Hiterland marine (there gone now).. $680 for a 1100gph and prberly has a plastic external fitting,,, What a joke. As for the rest off those prices for the extras, most off those a a joke also..

Noelm
27-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Always been a mystery to me how you can buy a Boat without ALL of the complusary safety gear, like you can't buy a Car without the seat beats, or Indicators, when you buy a Boat it should come with life jackets (enough to comply with the stated carrying capacity) correctly fitted lights, rego, EPIRB, the whole lot, sure Bow Rails and so on can be "accessories" but MSB/DPI safety are not accessories by any stretch of the imagination, you need them to go Boating.

Jabba_
27-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Always been a mystery to me how you can buy a Boat without ALL of the complusary safety gear, like you can't buy a Car without the seat beats, or Indicators, when you buy a Boat it should come with life jackets (enough to comply with the stated carrying capacity) correctly fitted lights, rego, EPIRB, the whole lot, sure Bow Rails and so on can be "accessories" but MSB/DPI safety are not accessories by any stretch of the imagination, you need them to go Boating.

I would also add, as for those cheap $20 PFDs. They should be banned. There slow and cumbersome to put on. If in a emergency you need to evacuate the boat and jump overboard, you, #1, Very slow too put on and, #2, you can not get put one off those PFD's on while you floating in the water.

Minimum requirement should be zipper at the front with easy adjustable buckle...

juju
27-01-2009, 11:33 AM
i know a guy who got into trouble on his second trip out in a new boat (it was a 5.2 alloy bowrider).....he had a stupid little thing come adrift on the new yammy..and this was his first trip out into the bay (also his first boat).....he put out the anchor only to find that the one that the dealer gave him wouldnt hold on the bottom...(had like 1 .5 mt of chain you would think twice about tying a dog up with..and 30 mt of 8 mm rope )......he cauldnt call the VMR.....no radio....no mobile.....tried waving down 2 boats that passed in the distance but they didnt see him....by this stage the wife and 2 little kids were getting upset..there was a solid chop running.....he ended up setting off 2 flares ..a guy passing in the distance seen them came over and helped.....i reckon a radio should be in ever boat..., the PFD should be required to be better than those things that are included in a new boat package...and trhe dealer should be required to provide a anchor setup that will at least hold the boat.....and lights are something of concern as well....i do a fair bit of night fishing and the amount of boats with no lights who are out at nite is amazing

Noelm
27-01-2009, 12:50 PM
but if the items included in the "package" comply with the Authorities, then there is little can be done, but my point is, you can still buy a brand new Boat without any safety gear what so ever, no lights, no anchor, nothing and it is all legal, I know you are responsible for having it before you go out, but on a new sale (and maybe even second hand) any equipment required should be included before you drive away, no exceptions, if you have some of the gear yourself, then you take it to the Dealer before you take delivery, seems to be a pretty reasonable thing to me, now don't even get me started on the lame requirements and some of the sh!t that does comply, that's a whole new whinge for me!

Scott nthQld
27-01-2009, 01:55 PM
I agree with Noelm. When you tow a new or secondhand boat of the lot, in nearly 100% of cases it is registered, ready to go. Try doing that with a car with no lights, seatbelts etc, all regulated safety gear should be included in every boat package even before a customer walks in the door, none of these items should be negotiable, they should be simple standard equipment.