PDA

View Full Version : sens-a-break dramas, help please

The-easyrider
25-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Hi guys yesterday arvo after loading the boat back onto the trailer the fault beeper on the sensa break started up continuios at first then 5 beeps every 5sec checked out what I could, plug shorts ,loose wires,ect (was a long drive home listening to that beeping). Checked it all out today and plugs all seem fine and correct voltage is present at the terminals , compresser runs for 200 seconds then shuts down as it should to prevent overheating but when air is bled off there seems to be very little so I have reached the conclusion that the compresser is shot, pulled the barrel off and there is some scoring inside but could not see the condition of the piston. Does anybody know if parts are avalible or someone that repairs these units or had similar problems?
Thanks Aaron

Spaniard_King
25-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Give Leo Kelk from United Brake and Clutch at Coorparoo a call - 33970977

Hes the man for sensa brakes

jett75
25-01-2009, 09:54 PM
If you have no luck i have a sensor brake unit thats like new i removed it to fit a hydrastar xl remote unit because i need to tow the boat with multiple vehicles and did not want to fit sender units to all the vehicles. Have it sitting in the shed did not know if i should keep it or not. Anyway if your interested just let us know.

tenzing
25-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Give Leo Kelk from United Brake and Clutch at Coorparoo a call - 33970977

Hes the man for sensa brakes
Ditto, Leo is definitely your man, and a nice fella as well.
Brendan

ozbee
26-01-2009, 07:02 PM
sens a brakes sensa brakes i would like to jam the unit up the ars....... of the guy who invented them, half the time there faulty from brand new and wont even provide any service to the dealer , best thing you can do is put a switch on the power side to the compressor so you can isolate it when it decides not to work least you have tail lights

Chimo
26-01-2009, 07:32 PM
And when your sick of the angst look at the old style hydrastar that uses the cheaper Tekonsha Controllers . The guy who sold me on the hs said that 50% of the SB had faults and came back soon after they started being used.

Sorry to be negative but simple is often best IMHO

Chimo

Spaniard_King
27-01-2009, 07:00 AM
Had mine on for 18 months, only dramas I had was due to poor installation :P

Sensa 1 systems had an issue with cooking the compressors due to no overheat safeguard. Sensa 2 systems rectified this.

TimiBoy
27-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Mine's been on for near two years, works a treat, actually.

Cheers,

Tim

The-easyrider
27-01-2009, 09:09 AM
This ones three years and four months old, appart from a sticking calipher when new no other problems known.

ozbee
27-01-2009, 09:42 AM
how did you get it to stop sticking a calliper mine still does it and not always the same wheel

The-easyrider
27-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Make sure the pistons in the calaphers are clean so they can release easly and I keep a good smear of grease where ever the pads contact the calapher on those little sholders and give them a good flush with fresh water after each trip

Chimo
27-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Hi All

I haven't had to do anything to my hydrastar except use it.

Cheers
Chimo GOM

ozbee
27-01-2009, 05:33 PM
been there done that not callipers so so many times

The-easyrider
27-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Read on another post recently that if you set the breaking to high on the mouse it will cause the breaks too drag ,I set mine just under half seems to work for me

ozbee
28-01-2009, 01:31 PM
mine is set on zero otherwise rub.some days perfect than next time one will rub to they smoke.when you pull up you must dump the air straight away. doesn't matter weather they are worn or new pads same result. the company has refused to provide assistance to the dealer or to my emails obviously delaying till out of warranty. best advice is to have nothing to do with them ever again.

Spaniard_King
28-01-2009, 02:32 PM
did you guys ever calibrate the system..like as the manufacturer specifies??

The-easyrider
28-01-2009, 02:39 PM
All fixed thanks to Leo at United break and clutch for a new compresser $345 and thanks to Danny on some advise on fitting same 45mins later its all good to go. Now to work how to get this wind to settle down so I can go for a fish

cormorant
28-01-2009, 04:06 PM
My PBR vacum brakes never have a problem - simple as and can't kill em but have tried. Just won't be able to afford them on a new trailer and too many issues with ABS and vacum on new 4wd so may consider a seperate vac pump.

Have used sensa - 1 was good and teh second was a pain. Service was crap.