PDA

View Full Version : 585 haines/sig 580solo launch/retrive

juju
25-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Sitting here doing a bit of sunday arvo wish/dreaming.....i would like (if the money side of things worked out--eg loans and so on)later on the year to get something a bit bigger than the trailcraft 475...she has been good to me so far but id like something that could give me a better ride in typical bay chop, be able to slip around the cape abit..and allow a overnite sleepover ...my question is because o go solo allot i was wondering if a 585 haines breeze or haines signature 580 is still ok to handle on my own at the ramp......i often go out from sandgate and i guess that would have to change because i couldnt just drag the bow onto the ramp with parking/getting the ute like i do now.......mine is a drive on trailer now...but i just winch...im not thinking that the glass that size would be that much harder to handle but id like to hear form guys who have one...

Chimo
25-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Hi Greg

IMHO bigger boats are not harder, it just a matter of being organized and having a reliable technique.

I use much the same method on my Vagabond as I did on a 5.6 al and a 15 ft Swiftcraft years ago. 10 and 12 ft tinnys are a bit easier but you still need a system.

Cheers
Chimo

juju
25-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Yep its the on and off bit is a bit of a worry , but the the one that has me thinking is the likes of the top ramp down sandgatem and what to do while parking/getting the ute..the idea of dragging the bow up like i do now is something i dont think id do with a new $65 k ish boat...ok if i have a deckie along...but otherwise...might have to change ramps to say clontarf....a barcrusher would be ok to nose up on teh ramp...but i just like the looks of a haines a bit better

Vitamin Sea
26-01-2009, 08:04 AM
Sitting here doing a bit of sunday arvo wish/dreaming.....i would like (if the money side of things worked out--eg loans and so on)later on the year to get something a bit bigger than the trailcraft 475...she has been good to me so far but id like something that could give me a better ride in typical bay chop, be able to slip around the cape abit..and allow a overnite sleepover ...my question is because o go solo allot i was wondering if a 585 haines breeze or haines signature 580 is still ok to handle on my own at the ramp......i often go out from sandgate and i guess that would have to change because i couldnt just drag the bow onto the ramp with parking/getting the ute like i do now.......mine is a drive on trailer now...but i just winch...im not thinking that the glass that size would be that much harder to handle but id like to hear form guys who have one...

Hi Greg

I have a boat very similar to what you are looking at, fitted one of these

www.boatlatch.com/boat_launch.htm (http://www.boatlatch.com/boat_launch.htm)

Have not looked back, piece of cake to self launch and retrieve, with the added bonus of no personal risk, even the Mrs thinks it was money very well spent.

Cheers

Bill

PinHead
26-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Bill,
the latch is a good thing but I think Greg's predicament is leaving the boat at the side of the ramp while he gets the car/trailer. I face the same thing at times and don't even bother going sometimes if I think the tides will make it difficult.

Vitamin Sea
26-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Bill,
the latch is a good thing but I think Greg's predicament is leaving the boat at the side of the ramp while he gets the car/trailer. I face the same thing at times and don't even bother going sometimes if I think the tides will make it difficult.

Ok, see the problem now

All comes down to choice of ramp I suppose, the ramp I use has a pontoon attached which makes it all to easy, especially with the latch.

Worth driving a few extra k's if necessary to go to a ramp with a pontoon or nice sandy beach that you can pull the boat up on whilst you park/retrieve the car.

PS: where do you mainly leave from Greg?

Cheers

Bill

Chimo
26-01-2009, 10:45 AM
JJ and PH

When I used to beach launch and sometimes did it on my own and didnt want the boat to bang on the beach while I got the trailer I used the following rig which I think could suit you.

I used to drop a stern anchor to hold the back of the boat and then use the bow anchor from the boatto hold it in shallow water until the trailer was in place.

In really solid holding ground a second line was tied to the nose/ front of the stern anchor and this was tied off on the front bollard so when the boat was going up onto the trailer the second line pulled the stern anchor along with the boat.

The front anchor was replaced with the winch cable and with it tight the front anchor was stowed back on the boat.

For you JJ, if you want to keep the brakes out tof the water, this system works whereas the catch 1 doesnt solve your problem and 2 the brakes get drowned.

Anyhow the above may be of interest and perhaps be of some use .......

Cheers
Chimo

TimiBoy
26-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Mate, as long as you use a ramp with a pontoon, you're Ok IMO. I launch and retrieve my CC 685 alone, it's quite easy. I would never push it up on gravel though - sand's ok.

Cheers,

Tim

John Buoy
26-01-2009, 11:15 AM
This is what i use as cats are difficult to use latches.
To avoid getting in and out to drive on or off i simplu use a rope and ring attched to a custom U Hook i fitted to the trailer.
Simply make the rope and ring long enough to fit with a little slack
and once the boat is up on the trailer simply lean over and jigglr the ring over the hook and tie it off to the stern cleat as in the pic.
This will allow to you get out and hook up the winch and safety wihtout having to leave your motor running.
Same applies for launching back the boat down with ring and rope attached,
once in the water undo winch and safety jump onboard start her up drive forward a tad remove the rope and ring and dock the boat
Regards Frank
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7089/boatlatchdd7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/1245/boatlatch2zc9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

juju
26-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Yep im thinking when it comes to it (hopefully) ill switch from sandgate to clontarf, there is sand there...not sure about the new pontoon/walkway they have put in there..ive only had a quick glance at it..worth checking at different stages of the tide....i couldnt see the ramp near the coastguard at scarbrough being a good one...pontoon there, but going from it to the ramp could be interesting.....in fact one of the best ramps is just down the road from me at deepwater bend.....wouldnt like to leave the hilux there at nite but...

Chimo
26-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Hi Frank (JB)
Neat idea, very similar to the ropes on Air Berths to hold the boat in the correct position!

Cheers
Chimo

siegfried
26-01-2009, 11:46 AM
This is what i use as cats are difficult to use latches.
To avoid getting in and out to drive on or off i simplu use a rope and ring attched to a custom U Hook i fitted to the trailer.
Simply make the rope and ring long enough to fit with a little slack
and once the boat is up on the trailer simply lean over and jigglr the ring over the hook and tie it off to the stern cleat as in the pic.
This will allow to you get out and hook up the winch and safety wihtout having to leave your motor running.
Same applies for launching back the boat down with ring and rope attached,
once in the water undo winch and safety jump onboard start her up drive forward a tad remove the rope and ring and dock the boat
Regards Frank
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7089/boatlatchdd7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/1245/boatlatch2zc9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Very cunnin Frank;)

Searaider 2
26-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Interesting & very informative topic Gents ,

John Bouy ,
What a Top & Simple idea .

Chimo ,
Do you use chain on the stern anchor ?

death_ship
26-01-2009, 04:39 PM
mate just join the VMR at sandgate, they have a pontoon and i do my 580 haines there solo no problem, also i just nose it on the little beach there if i cant be buggered tying it up. i also use the cabbage tree ramp solo but the one upstream from the VMR, again i just nose her on the beach and chuck the anchor out if im worried.
just drive her on the trailer as far as you can then winch the rest, pretty easy if the trailer is set up right

Chimo
26-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Hi Peter

Thanks for comment.

Yes but only short ie a couple of meters, it allows you to drop it not too far out.

Chimo

PinHead
26-01-2009, 05:13 PM
mate just join the VMR at sandgate, they have a pontoon and i do my 580 haines there solo no problem, also i just nose it on the little beach there if i cant be buggered tying it up. i also use the cabbage tree ramp solo but the one upstream from the VMR, again i just nose her on the beach and chuck the anchor out if im worried.
just drive her on the trailer as far as you can then winch the rest, pretty easy if the trailer is set up right

how safe is leaving a car and trailer there for overnighters????

death_ship
26-01-2009, 07:19 PM
how safe is leaving a car and trailer there for overnighters????
its pretty good u need a swipe card and a key to get into the secure lockup area where u leave your car. never had any problems. thats why i joined

tropicrows
26-01-2009, 08:55 PM
I have just finished setting up my rig with a very cheap cable and hook system, makes launching and retrieving easy. I also fitted a brass keel strip, takes the problem out off nudging the boat up onto a ramp, and no damage to the hull. You get a few strange looks until they realise I have a brass keel strip. I'll take some pics tomorrow morning and post them up here.

tropicrows
27-01-2009, 11:12 AM
"Picture 1" is the brass keel strip that I attached to the keel, using epoxy glue and SS self tapping screws every 100 mm. it took a bit of effect fitting it, but it mean you can drive up onto a ramp without doing any damage to the rest of the boat. :)

For those who have not seen this launching system before, it’s very cheap to make up yourself and quite straight forward to use.
To launch
Back boat into water and then remove safety chain. "see picture 2"
Loosen winch strap and push boat down until SS cable, catches on the small leg.
Remove winch strap.
Attach the safety chain into SS cable
Get in boat and drive is forward slowly, when the SS cable clears the small leg the SS cable falls clear of the small leg
Reverse boat off trailer.To retrieve
Back trailer into water as per normal, make sure safety chain has been remover from SS cable.
Drive boat onto trailer until its up against bow vee block.
Turn motor off if the does start to slide off the trailer the SS cable will stop it going any further.
Attach winch strap & wind up onto bow vee block
Attach safety chain, "see picture 3"This may sound like long winded process but its very quick once you know what your doing. Can be done by yourself and the best thing you don’t get your feet wet, if you have a pontoon to tie up to.

juju
27-01-2009, 02:11 PM
yep i get it...fairly straight foward...the bow eye..was that made up or an off the rack job?

tropicrows
27-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Tried to buy a suitable bow eye but had no luck. I modified a standard one, easy if you have access to a TIG welder. If you don't have access to a TIG welder, it should not cost any more then 30 bucks to get your own bow eye modified at stainless steel fabricator.