PDA

View Full Version : Ice Moulds

Fish Guts
24-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Does anyone know of where i could get a hold of some moulds (2) for making ice. I have heard about stainless steel ones ? does anyone have any idea where i could get some or who could make me some ?

cheers

fish guts

trueblue
24-01-2009, 03:28 PM
what sort of shape / size are you looking for

groverwa
24-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Just a suggestion - try using 2L plastic icecream containers

Mike

bustaonenut
24-01-2009, 04:07 PM
i use a stainless steel salad bowl. Because of the shape the ice pops out easy

Chimo
24-01-2009, 04:30 PM
I use 3 lt plastic milk bottles and freeze them with sea water inside. Lasts longer than potable water too. Fill to 80% or so to allow for expansion and seem to last well over multiple uses.

Chimo

Fish Guts
24-01-2009, 04:30 PM
i was thinking about being the approx size of 2 blocks of pilchards on top of eachother.

groverwa
24-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Another thing to try is to steal the wife's cake tins or Tupperware type containers that are a suitable size or go to a Salvo or similar type store where you will undoutably find something to suit your needs

Mike

jtpython
24-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Couple guys from ergon gave me some cast iron street light lids . They can't be used again and they are tapered put a bit of water on the back and swish around and out they pop . You are spot on with the stainless steel as well. Bamaree trays are the bomb mate

Chimo that's a good idead with the saltwater
Is it made yourself with added salt or do you bring saltwater straight from the source
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/jtpython/24012009001.jpg
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/jtpython/24012009002.jpg
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/jtpython/24012009.jpg

Chimo
24-01-2009, 04:50 PM
I just fill them, to about 80% at the source and freeze them in the "box"

Get 4 to 6 days out of about a box lot (6) in the esky and the temp in the 70 lit FRP eskies stays at about 5 to 7 Celsius. Really depends who often you open it and the ambient temp.

Chimo

PS looks like its time to defrost you freezer by the way::)

Fish Guts
24-01-2009, 04:53 PM
thanks for the info guys very good. looks like you have a good setup there jt !

jtpython
24-01-2009, 04:57 PM
I just fill them, to about 80% at the source and freeze them in the "box"

Get 4 to 6 days out of about a box lot (6) in the esky and the temp in the 70 lit FRP eskies stays at about 5 to 7 Celsius. Really depends who often you open it and the ambient temp.

Chimo

PS looks like its time to defrost you freezer by the way::)

Yeah yeah i know but thats my main freezing water and bait box freezer so it frosts up quick from opening and shutting each day to do the ice
Wife is up me i have 3 freezers in my shed
;D

Chimo
24-01-2009, 05:12 PM
JT

Maybe you need to lay the freezer on its back or get a nice big chest freezer.

Your greenhouse footprint must be as big as a herd of elephants with all those freezers running. What do you keep the beer in?

Cheers
Chimo

jtpython
24-01-2009, 05:45 PM
I have 2 chest freezers one is for ice one is for bait and the stand up is for boxed bait and making my ice
Never can have to much ice or bait
JT
Have 2 side/side fridge freezers in the house::)
Have a stack of kids so need the appliance's::)
Plus i don't drink beer Jimmies and dry;)
;D

trueblue
24-01-2009, 06:05 PM
I just use 3 litre juice bottles with a bit of added salt

open ice in the freezer can be eroded away as the freezer dehumidifies.

-spiro-
24-01-2009, 06:55 PM
i also use very thick plastic bags could hold up to 50litres in one bag without breaking. They wont rupture in the freezzer and can expand without a problem too. Company purk.......

SCOTTYGC
25-01-2009, 08:44 AM
i use cleaned 3lt milk or juice bottle with just fresh water

3 or 4 of them and a bag of ice from the servo seems to last a couple of days for me

depends how often you open it

i like to keep fresh water in them so i have some nice cold water to drink

Mrs Ronnie H
25-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Hi All

Ice Moulds-- Do you know anyone that drinks from WINE CASKS. The inside bladder is great for freezing. They lay flat in the freezer once filled with water and you can re- use them as long as they don't get a puncture. We take the plastic cap off, fill a jug firstly with some very salty water and then just fill from the tap. Apparently the salt helps to stay frozen longer.

Just a cheap idea that i thought i would pass on..
Ronnie

BigE
25-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Ask your local Maccers for some 20ltr gerkin containers( like ice cream containers only taller) there perfect. same size as 2 blocks of pillies

BigE

marty+jojo
25-01-2009, 07:25 PM
A mate of mine uses a battery box, it makes decent size blocks of ice that last in the FNQ heat.
Marty.

-spiro-
26-01-2009, 07:13 AM
A mate of mine uses a battery box, it makes decent size blocks of ice that last in the FNQ heat.
Marty.

I have a few of those one they use in forklifts[20l]
They work well8-)

ozbee
26-01-2009, 06:52 PM
butcher supplies like lesile or master butchers have plastic tapered containers around 10 litres . i use about seventy litres of ice in my esky in the boat. these containers sit nicely in a up right freezer or stack well in a chest on top of each other . tapered means they release quick

jtpython
26-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Whats the average sized esky are you guys using?
I have a 215 litre in the boat Mackeral Coffin love the size and used the bottles filled with ice in 3 litre and 2 litre bottles but wanted the coverage to be better is why i started to go the crushed specially when you get a full esky of fish
Don't know what other people find
JT

ozbee
26-01-2009, 07:06 PM
the blocks from the butcher moulds are ideal size to smash with the donny nocker my esky is 300 litres

Fish Guts
26-01-2009, 08:06 PM
good info guys thanks heaps

pilchardjones
27-01-2009, 10:47 PM
i use a combination of 20L plastic (chemical) drums cut in half vertically for block ice, and 20L plastic drums with just the top 5cm cut off. I then smash the ice up with a lump hammer (in the drum), and you end up with good crushed ice that i then pour into a thick plastic bag and take in the fish esky. you can then pour the ice onto the fish as you get a layer of fish in the esky. saves having to rearrange the fish and ice all day.
steve

Noelm
28-01-2009, 10:09 AM
just use old (square or round) plastic buckets, fill to the desired level (to make blocks the size needed) in the freezer and your done, cost nothing, work a treat and you can use them for other things as well, you are only making ice, not peforming brain surgery, pretty simple concept really!

Guido
28-01-2009, 11:30 AM
We just use cheap plastic containers from any of the warehouse stores...but with a little extra addition. We form a handle by cutting up that tough plastic strapping from TV and fridge boxes and sit it in the mould like a handle. Really handy when pulling them out of the chest freezer and carrying them.

Cheers,
Guido

northernblue
28-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Good tip with the handles Guido.
I used those rectangular plastic mop type buckets for a while bit they end up splitting. The metal bainmarie trays sound ideal, I'II have to get the boys to make a diversion next time Salmonella Sally calls around.......
I am a tiler so I usually have a small collection of 15-20lt buckets laying around.

Best ice set up i've seen is Groote Eylandt, mining co has ice machine pumping away in town at shoping centre, just pull up on way to ramp load up 100-200lt esky and add to fish esky as req, oh no charge either.

I am really surprised that some boofhead has not posted about how it's more expensive to make your own ice than buy it............

Heath
28-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Go to your local ice cream shop & ask for some empty containers. They work a treat.