PDA

View Full Version : Have you lost a phone whilst fishing?

Kleyny
24-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Just taking part in a thread in the reports section in regards to lost phones whilst fishing so i thought i would put a thread up to see how many people have lost phones.

Like i said in that post it wont be long before the fishies have a better communication system than ours.

Come on don't be shy how many have you lost.

I'll start and say i have lost 1 whilst fishing and 1 fried whilst washing my boat down.

neil

Chimo
24-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Yes in 125 ft of water off the Gold Coast. Have you found it?

Chimo

Kleyny
24-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Yes in 125 ft of water off the Gold Coast. Have you found it?

Chimo

Nah but i did see a big snapper talking on the phone whilst swimming. That one might have been yours.

Wheres the water police when you need them;D

neil

Chong
24-01-2009, 12:00 PM
ask Webby, he knows all about this sort of thing

Kleyny
24-01-2009, 12:31 PM
yes, but will he really tell us exactly how many he has lost.

dazza
24-01-2009, 03:40 PM
hi all,
i recon the phone companes must make a fortune out of fisho's. almost ever fisho i know has given a phone a swim.
my tally is 2, one at the spinnaker marina and one out off hutchies in 100+ meters.now i buy the $50 ones dosen't hurt as much
cheers
dazza

Ozie_3
24-01-2009, 03:49 PM
guilty...lol but the replacement is nicer even if tied to a 2 year contract

:-/:-/:-/

webby
24-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Had to dob me in, didnt ya Matt. Well i"ll be honest.
As to how many well i've racked up around four that i can think of, since the damn things were invented and two digital cameras, although the last digi wasnt my fault but the skipper of a certain boat who tried to sink us crossing sth passage, late last year.
Not proud of it, but shit happens and there the last thing on my mind when fishing.
So you could say i have a hotline to the fish in moreton bay.
Have even had a float able waste belt thingy donates to me to stop the above from happening again.
But i've never lost a rod or reel overboard.
regrds

deepfried
24-01-2009, 05:23 PM
2 for me as well. One was just me being stupid and walking into the water with it in my pocket. Forgot it was on me, first fried phone. Second one was on a trip to Broughton Is. In a tender and i was looking at the cabins we were staying in not how close we were to the beach. Tender hits sand, i fall out into about 10" of water. Dented ego, fried phone number 2. New phone is a cracker though with sat nav and work pays for them.

Scott

mookyandlumpy
24-01-2009, 05:52 PM
lost 1 , was anchored at crusoe ,siting in my tinnie with the phone on the seat when a huge cruiser goes by the wake made it go for a swin but not over board but into the water about 1 inch deep in the back of my tinnie

dodgyone
24-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Fried 2 in the last 2 offshore trips.

Freeeedom
25-01-2009, 05:19 AM
I was standing in the surf on the Teewah beach a year or so ago when I felt this strange vibration against my leg. No - it wasn't an amorous dogfish humping my leg - just the mobile breathing its last. At least the sim card was still OK so I didn't have to reprogram the next one.
Cheers Freeeedom

Dunkxx
25-01-2009, 06:15 AM
Lost two, both fell thru the brest pocket while rigging up. Even with the velcro done up still manages to find the drink. Now i either keep it in me back pack or jeans pocket.
cheers
dunks

castlemaine
25-01-2009, 06:59 AM
Finished a day on the Bay and left my wallet and phone on the gunwale while tying the boat down at the Raby Boat Ramp. Got home and started pulling everything out for cleaning, oopppppssssss .... phone on gunwale but no wallet.
So technically, I haven't lost a phone fishing.
Did 2 runs back to the ramp but obviously someone had picked it but no wallet returned.
How that freaking phone stayed on without falling off I'll never know!!!!! I rather have lost it than the wallet.
If you've ever lost your wallet you'll realise how hard it is to prove who you are.
Cheers 8-)

mangomick
25-01-2009, 07:49 AM
Oh its a long story. I take a mate out and he reckons he has got the marks to a great spot near the shoals where at night you catch great reds and redthroats . So out we go and I punch in the Co-ords and they are pointing me south away from the area where we are supposed to be heading.
Mate i say Are you sure these marks are right. I think they are pointing me at the Tannum Sands fish and chip shop.
Anyway he's confused and i'm confused so out we go to the area that I know is right.
Mate I say now this is the Shoals and your marks are way to hell back there????
So I pull my mobile out the box where I keep it for safe keeping:-/ and he calls his mrs to get co-ords off his GPS. He hands me the phone back just as Im onto a fish and I slip it in my shirt pocket until I deal with the fish. Bummer
Reach over to grab a bucket of water to keep baldy bream alive until I can get big line and bye bye CDMA. Damn
Turned out his young bloke and gone out to seal rocks and stuffed up all his GPS waypoints.
Cost $400 for new Next G and no new hot GPS mark >:(
CDMA technology was on the way out anyway ;D

TimiBoy
25-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Only one I've lost was one of my staff on Sth Passage Bar a few years ago. Then the ar$e hole decided rather than pay me for it he would quit.

He's now in jail for drug offences. Man, do I love Kharma!

Cheers,

Tim

Kleyny
25-01-2009, 11:58 AM
So, so far it seems to be a common theme that us fishos don't learn from our mistakes real quick as some of us have lost two;D .
Or in some people case more::) .

I thinks its about time some one invented a floating, water-proof, shock-proof, idiot-proof phone.

I'm sure more than just us fishos would be more than happy to snap one up.

neil

Ps can anyone beat webby or is he the king of over board phones.

neil

onerabbit
25-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Cant imagine why you guys take the damn phone with you fishing in the first place........I dont get much of a reception unless I'm on the 32s, but why risk "that" phone call that would bring you home early anyway.

On a lighter note, I have seen a few phones end up "in the sh!t" at work, one of the pleasures of working with sewerage.....................

Muzz

Poodroo
25-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Hey there Neil. Technically I haven't lost a phone but I did ruin a Motorola V3 razor by having it in my pocket and crushing it against the side of the boat whilst trying to tie another boat up to ours in less than perfect conditions. Got a call on the phone and when I opened the phone to answer the LCD screen was F.U.B.A.R.
The only thing I have lost really is my camera. Remember taking photos with it but when I went to load the photos onto the computer the camera was found to be A.W.O.L. Still don't know how I managed it but if anyone out there found an Olympus MJ-U750 compact digital camera and don't wish to return it I have the original box, charger, and driver disk here for you. Come and get it. :P

Poodroo

JT
25-01-2009, 08:16 PM
One for me & one for the wife. Mine was attached to my belt while I was using the cast net, yup you guessed on the back swing, caught the phone, saw it in the net as it sailed out but it was too late. The wife's was in our boat that she was holding at the Jacobs Well ramp when some thoughtful soul in a gin palace went past too close and too quick and put a couple of waves into the boat, phone No. 2 was never the same again and completely died about a week later.

Cheers

John

_brendan_
25-01-2009, 08:32 PM
I'm always really worried about losing my mobile while fishing because I've lost 2 in the last couple of months. I always put mine in a little sealable bag and have it in my top pocket with the button done up. and every now and then i check to make sure it's still in there haha.. i think ive become paranoid!

Tassie JR
25-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Never for me mine stays in the glove box of the boat swiched off i get coverage out the cape so i only take it 4 emergencies.
But the old boy was on a charter boat out from noosa a few years back and thay was crossing the noosa bar when the hit a stonker wave and peeled the roof clean of the charter boat all radio's on the boat was buggered and every 1's phones was buggered as well, apart from dads so the charter boat asked could he borrow dads phone to call his boss and exsplain what happened, about 1 min after the call she buggered up as well. The charter boat was good about it all ang replace all of the phone and gave every 1 a free trip.
Well thats my story.

cheers tassie JR

ShaneC
26-01-2009, 01:57 PM
I have fried an embarrasing amount of phones while fishing, so many that youse would think I was stretching the truth if I told ya. And just to add insult to injury, I managed to fry TWO (mine and someone elses) just yesterday!!!! I am thinking about getting a waterproof one but they are quite exxy.

shane 234
26-01-2009, 03:46 PM
ive lost one. ill never forget this one. brand new rod reel and braid. i put the rod down for a drink when bam in she goes, not this time i say dive in after it. got it!. hang on wats in my pocket.... dam brand new phone stuffed.
oh well.

struktcha_man
26-01-2009, 03:50 PM
I have killed 2 at work , not fishing but the flimsy/thin ones are absolute rubbish.

cheers

BigE
26-01-2009, 05:31 PM
I have a mitisibishi 190 anolugue phone in the boat it's almost as small as Mr Smarts shoe phone and all it does is makes calls no camera , no txt (ok ok so i'm old) shes been in the briney 3 times and even they turned off the network many years ago it still makes calls ( buggered if i know how)

Regards
BigE

Scalem
26-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Just one for me, hanging onto a big boat while the owner was backing the trailer down at the ramp. The wind was being a royal pain in the A#%!! and rather than fight it, I decided to step to the side of the boat ramp in about a foot of water..... Well, what I beleived to be only a foot of water, it was more like a meter with the mobile still in the pocket of my shorts. Salt water frys electronic components INSTANTLY as I discovered.

Scalem

Kleyny
26-01-2009, 07:04 PM
I have fried an embarrasing amount of phones while fishing, so many that youse would think I was stretching the truth if I told ya. And just to add insult to injury, I managed to fry TWO (mine and someone elses) just yesterday!!!! I am thinking about getting a waterproof one but they are quite exxy.

Come on Shane don't be shy.
You have 4 to beat webby.

i can imagine destroying more than just phone if thats your boat in your avatar:P

neil

GAD
26-01-2009, 10:20 PM
I have a reputation of killing phones ,2 overboard , 1 from spray and salt , run over one as well , then there are work phones . Did I mention I hate phones

greenie.77
27-01-2009, 06:53 AM
2 for me....one yesterday, one 1 month ago at Borumba!!!

fishel
27-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Yes, I have drowned one.

Was down the end of the Russell Island jetty and decided to walk along the jetty to bait jig along the middle part and thought I had better not leave the phone on the seat in case someone stole it, so put it in my top pocket.

Part of the problem was that not wanting to leave a plastic bag I had used lying on the jetty to blow into the water like some do I had put the bag in my pocket, so when the phone went in the pocket it was not sitting down as far as it should as it was sitting on top of the plastic bag.

So I walk along and leaned over the rail to have a look down at the water and heard a noise like something just entered the water and wondered whether the people walking down the other arm of the jetty to take the ferry had dropped something, when, to my great dismay, I realised it was my new phone I had only bought about 2 months ago that had gone down to Nemo's grave.

It would have had a better chance on the seat!

My new one has a clip on it so if I drown another one it won't be from falling out of my pocket. Will just have to learn from others' experiences on this thread so I don't walk into water while it is attached to my clothing, and hopefully won't lose another.

Fishel

TheRealAndy
27-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Drowned one wading for flathead, drowned another bashing into the back of a sou'easter swell heading home from mud island becuase I forgot to put my phone into the centre console.

ShaneC
27-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Come on Shane don't be shy.
You have 4 to beat webby.

i can imagine destroying more than just phone if thats your boat in your avatar:P

neil

Righto Neil I'll share just so Webby can know he's not on his own. I have wrecked four of my own and one that belonged to someone else. Two have been in airdock/ pontoon related incidents, one was dropped in the drink and two were killed on Sunday when we copped some spray over the front that got under my clears.

The worst bit is that has all been in the last seven months, I am on a roll. The Mrs has ordered no phones on the boat from now on, apparently something I should have learnt three phones ago.

topcatch
01-02-2009, 09:45 AM
What is it about boaties and phones!!! Yes I have managed to drown one to. The phone "usually" goes in the boat's glove box prior to launch and stays there until retrieved on dry ground. Except that fateful day at Deepwater Bend...the boat was tied to the pontoon, reached into the glove box for the car keys and grabbed the phone as well. Clipped the phone on the pants and exited the boat onto the pontoon. Turned to say something to the mate holding the boat, turned back around and knocked the phone off the belt and two bounces along the pontoon into the drink....moral to the story......if you going to use a clip make sure it is on properly or leave the phone in the glove box till your on dry land :D

3rd degree
01-02-2009, 06:51 PM
I too have lost four.

2 have been lost to waves and spray, and the others deposited at Fishers Creek boat ramp in NQ and the other just of the North of Peel.

Still take the phone fishing however have learnt to keep it dry.

Cheers

Jim

goldfish
11-02-2009, 05:08 PM
yeah i've lost a few 7 & still counting. along with 1 wallet large qty of sunglasses ect.
but i do have 2 questions
why do mobile phones always bounce of the gunnel then fall seaward?
& why do sunglasses sink 1inch faster than the human hand can dive.
cheers
rick

nicko_
11-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Yep, I've destroyed 3. Not lost but in a little tinny its hard sometimes to keep the spray from coming in and as it turns out its not a good idea to leave phones just sitting on the seat. Apparently water's bad for them.

RayB
11-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Well, I haven't lost one but I have ruined one.

I was on a barra fishing charter and decided to take on board my new (expensive) barra rod and reel. Sometime through the day I left go of my rod and threw it into the drink. My body goes numb, unsure what to do until the guide says "it's now or never" and I dive into the drink,

Total damage,
- ruined mobile
- ruined wallet
- ruined hat
- lost sunglasses
- lost rod and reel

Rod and reel later recovered by Guide who used his diving gear. Freshwater dam so rod and reel OK.

cheers
Raymond

StevenM
13-02-2009, 08:23 PM
3 for me

they are not lost, I know where they all are just useless

Razgo-
13-02-2009, 08:36 PM
fried one, then went and bought a plastic case purpose built for mobile phones for $55.00 from BCF. they float and you can still use your phone as per normal.

it's like a rubbery plastic thing.

stessco
15-02-2009, 04:36 PM
lost my phone and glasses the same day when i fell in the drink!

imnotoriginal
16-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Kayak started to drift away and I jumped in after it. I realised before I'd hit the water that my phone was still in my pocket...bugger. I now own a cheap phone!
Joel

gaintsquid
16-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Yes 3. and 2 cameras..

Captain_Zero
19-02-2009, 07:56 PM
I was walking the bank casting SPs atNudgee when I got snagged in about 3 feet of water. I waded in to see if I could get the lure of the snag forgetting the phone in my shorts pocket. It vibrated violently for 30 seconds and then died. I managed to save the SP and jighead though!!!

ShaneC
24-02-2009, 08:57 PM
A mate of mine swears by this. He lost a few phones to water induced melt down, so now he wraps his phone in a good old franger. Just stretches it around the phone, ties it in a knot at the top, and walla, a cheap waterproof cover that still allows you to use the phone!!! Haven't tried it myself, may need to get some bigger ones ;)

TimiBoy
25-02-2009, 05:34 AM
A mate of mine swears by this. He lost a few phones to water induced melt down, so now he wraps his phone in a good old franger. Just stretches it around the phone, ties it in a knot at the top, and walla, a cheap waterproof cover that still allows you to use the phone!!! Haven't tried it myself, may need to get some bigger ones ;)

And if your mouth tastes funny, you can always get some of that sweet, strawberry flavour! A perfect asset on a long day's fishing!

Cheers,

Tim

salty holty
03-03-2009, 06:50 PM
i have lost 1 at least in the saltwater and a few in the fresh

wilcara
05-03-2009, 01:48 PM
One half drowned in the Tongariro in unzud but it was only half stuffed, I finished it off in the microwave.

Don't do it.

Xahn1960
05-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Maybe all is not lost.....

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25141714-5013016,00.html

What are the chances ??? :) :) :) :)

duncan mcwhirter
05-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Well I have to say I have lost two phones now. Both as a result of going for a swim with them. I guess that a good excuse not to bring the phone while fishing. The wife will just have to make do for a couple of hours.. doh...

dogsbody
08-03-2009, 09:55 AM
None for me,, as I climb aboard phone, wallet and keys go into the tackle box. If I don't hear it ring,,to bad,, phone is there for my convenience not the callers.

Dave

Zooter
09-03-2009, 10:11 AM
LOL 3 phones for me, Im shocking with them!

Its like they are attracted to water :P Mrs just buys me cheap ass replacments now, No IPhone for me ever :)

aussiebasser
10-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Lost one on the Brisbane River a couple of weeks ago. I had it in the canoe, and must have forgotton it when I turned the canoe over and put it on the racks. Unfortunately someone found it before I could cancel it. $200 worht of calls to all sorts of strange places. The fool sent an MMS to his own phone from mine though, so I now know his number. Karma will happen to him!!!!