PDA

View Full Version : my first bass

Mexikan
24-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Didnt get to do much fishing over the Chrissy holidays but did manage a few hours flicking lures for bass in a NSW creek.Caught the bass on a cicada hard bodied surface lure(bright green and yellow) in a small bit of creek about as big as a backyard underground swimming pool .Caught just before dark when there was plenty of surface action.
Mex

Luc
24-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Great catch.

I was doing some leaning out over Xmas and came across the photos of my first ever bass caught at Wappa Falls near Yandina (South Maroochy River) some 30 years ago. Bass is still my main target species.

It's surprising where bass will end up. As long as there's cover and food, it's always worth a catch.

Luc

poddy mullet
24-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Good Stuff Mate! How awesome are the little buggers to catch!
My fisrt bass was only pint sized, but my third was 38cm, and man... Didn't I know he was on!

Top Work!

Mexikan
24-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Yeh the bass went alright on the light tackle he went about 35cm.
Luc do you know any good bass spots around sunshine coast besides the dams and coochin creek.I wouldnt mind finding a good bass spot around where I live at Glasshouse-no spot x's or anything just general areas.Thanks
Mex

Hardb8
24-01-2009, 03:08 PM
On Ya Mex! Just be carefull m8,These fish can become seriously addictive.

Takin ya first on a topwater is a SWEET capture.I'm sure it will be long remembered,And the first of many more.

Congrats. B8.;)

Fishbait
25-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Hey nice work - I thought I caught a my first bass recently but turned out to be a silver perch - stupid me. Anyway, congrats to ya. Darren.

Luc
25-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Hi Mex,

My best advice is to use Google Earth (or a good set of maps) to find the various waterways & possible access to where you want to fish.

There are a number of creeks that feed into the Bribie Passage.
Over the years, I have caught bass in most of them.

If you're prepared to do some walking, you'll find some great waterholes that hold bass (+ other things). You can't beat the feeling you get when you've caught a bass in an isolated location along a waterway that most would ignore.

Many fishers look at the size of a creek, decide it's too small and give it a miss when a bit of exploring could have given them some great thrills.

I've fished places where the creek is barely a couple of metres wide, shallow and snaggy but still hold bass particularly in the deeper holes.

Best of luck.

Luc

PS It's a very adictive form of fishing;D

Little grey men
27-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Good on ya Mexikan, now that you've cracked your first bass, just sit back and watch your lure collection grow.