PDA

View Full Version : It pays to shop around,oil injection

Steeler
23-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Hiall.Went to take the family to wet a line yesterday and went to fire up the "the beast" and the low oil alarm sounded:'( :( >:( ,knowng that i had plenty of oil in the bottle and recently having conducted a oil output test i put his down to the magnet de-laminating in the oil bottle.When we arrived home i did the ring around of a few dealers and was amazed at the price difference.Details are as follows :

Second hand dealer # 1 $ 120.00 no warranty:o
Second hand dealer # 2 $ 100.00 no warranty:o
Dealer # 1 new part $ 260.00:o :o :o
Dealer # 2 new part $ 80.50:) ;D

I guess the moral to the story is shop around as the differnce in pricing is just wrong.

Before you ask was this new/old stock,no it wasn't it had to be ordered by the dealer from Merc and delivery was next day.The oil bottle in question is one to fit a Merc/Mariner early 90's vintage which mounts just foward of the starter motor.

I hope this info is helpul to any other Merc/Mariner owner is in need of a oil bottle in the future as apparently delamiation of the magnet in these things is quite common.

Cheers

Steve

Steeler
23-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Maybe i should buy a dictionary with the money i saved,typing this whilst giving myself an uppercut:-[

honda900
23-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Steeler,

Im hearing you..

decided to replace a battery in the boat just for good measure yesterday, for the identical battery.

Dedicated Battery shop, $249 :o
Online shop, $194
Local Chandlery $175

Regards
Honda