PDA

View Full Version : Glenlyon - fresh water help...

ozscott
23-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Hi all. I fished Glenlyon about 9 years ago, but had no idea what I was doing. In terms of fresh water I still have virtually no idea. I have been reading my squidgies book and it seems that all sorts of fresh species dont mind a soft placcie, although from searching I see that spinner baits are very potent too. I was also thinking of trying locally caught yabbies (I caught some myself in a river not far from there when I was at the dam).

I think from memory there are no bass...silver and golden perch, some other perch and big fat Murray Cod?

I was thinking of a 1.8m bream/squire rod that I have with a 2000 size reel loaded with 6 pound braid, and with a mono trace about 1.3 m long for the main rod? Will that sort of rig do most things from placcies to live bait?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I will have to make good use of my sounder but some hints about where to start would be good - 22k long dam and the only place I know of where people have caught big cod is near the wall...but Im up to catch anything I can. Im taking my young boys so if I dont catch anything/they dont catch anything, I will hear about it.

Oz

PS. I am taking the Vagabond, so I can scoot off a fair way up the dam, but cant get in amonst the trees like a tinny, but I guess I can troll ok (2 stroke yammy notwithstanding:)).

2manylures
24-01-2009, 04:01 PM
PM sent champ;D

ozscott
24-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Thanks mate - very informative - nice summary for a novice like me...cheers!