PDA

View Full Version : First Overhead// Questions

BREAMBOSS01
22-01-2009, 07:35 PM
got an abu garcia 6foot muscle tip boat rod witha gt345 lw overhead reel. had a few casts this afternoon managed a lot of tangles but all sorted.

the little switch/lever on the left hand side which makes it click stops it clickinc. is it supposed to stay in gear i.e. clicking or is it meant to lock in or out.

and what does the adjustment part in behind the handle and drag do. does it adjust the stiffness of the spool spinning.

any help would be great.

NAGG
22-01-2009, 08:36 PM
I guess you are talking about a ratchet ...... that stays off till the rod is in a holder & you have the reel in either free spool ...... which allows a fish to run without feeling too much resistance ( but avoids a over run) ....... or you have it on while trolling as an audible warning.

The knob adjusts the tension on the spool ....... helps reduce the chance of over run - The best thing to do when casting .... is to adjust it so that when in free spool ( casting position) - the lure or bait falls slowly to the ground & the spool stops !!!!! ...... no over run ( as you get more proficient .... you back this off & your casting distance improves) ..
hope this helps

Chris

BREAMBOSS01
23-01-2009, 08:13 AM
yeah the ratchet,, is it supposed to stay off when you want it off or like this one it flicks back in to gear so that the ratchet is engaged is this normal or do i have to go get an exchange.