PDA

View Full Version : Alphas ok for Barra??

Bennywise
22-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Hello,

Have a few "business" trips this year to NQ & NT and was planning on going for a fish while I'm there.

I currently have a couple of Alphas that I use for Bass/Jack fishing and was wondering if it would be up to the task on the local Barra population? I haven't caught a barra in over 15 years!!!:'(

thanks Ben.

Rockfish
22-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Hi Ben

Mate the Alphas is regarded as one of the toughest low profile baitcasters ever made...do not be fooled by its size they are tough as nails. Might want to get a hold of a carbontex drag kit if you already haven't done so. This will give you more drag and improved smoothness throughout the range. Try to get it spooled with 30lb braid and you should be in business. Spending a few extra dollars to get a high quality braid with a thin diameter will see the alphas retaining a useable line capacity for this type of fishing. I used to use a sol baitcaster on local river and impoundment barra with upgraded drag and 30lb braid running as much drag as you can throw at it (when needed) and the little sucker didn't fail once.

Regards
Stu

NAGG
22-01-2009, 05:21 PM
I think Stu hit the nail on the head ...... While I dont have a Alphas - i've been using a similar sized reel (Steez) for impoundment barra...... as long as you are casting these little reels make for a comfortables days fishing.
Load the reel with the best quality (thin braid) as Stu mentioned

Chris

Bennywise
22-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks guys, I thought it would be fine. (deep down I was hoping it wasn't as an excuse to buy another reel.) :)

I currently have 20LB cast away on one. Will this be OK or should I up it to 30LB for the trip?

Ben

NAGG
22-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks guys, I thought it would be fine. (deep down I was hoping it wasn't as an excuse to buy another reel.) :)

I currently have 20LB cast away on one. Will this be OK or should I up it to 30LB for the trip?

Ben

Yeh Ben ..... I would leave 20lb Castaway on 1 ..... you might enjoy it more specially if you chuck smaller lures

Chris

Jeremy87
22-01-2009, 06:35 PM
I bought a sol for this purpose. They are tough little reels, in saying that i would expect that the smoothness of the gears would be reduced after a few hot sessions. Do you know what sought of habitat you will be chasing them. Their is some really good land based fishing for sooties/jp's/barra to be had for those who are keen to explore in that part of the world. however a baitcaster is not the ideal outfit to do it with. 8-10lb on a small spin reel matched up with a 6ft or less 2-4kg stick is perfect for this sought of fishing.

Rockfish
22-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Ben

20lb Castaway is good braid and would probably be fine for a majority of situations as long as your prepared to loose a few fish when throwing tight to cover and encountering large jacks, fingermark and barra (always happens anyway)

Hope this helps
Cheers
Stu

Bennywise
22-01-2009, 07:57 PM
I bought a sol for this purpose. They are tough little reels, in saying that i would expect that the smoothness of the gears would be reduced after a few hot sessions. Do you know what sought of habitat you will be chasing them. Their is some really good land based fishing for sooties/jp's/barra to be had for those who are keen to explore in that part of the world. however a baitcaster is not the ideal outfit to do it with. 8-10lb on a small spin reel matched up with a 6ft or less 2-4kg stick is perfect for this sought of fishing.

Thanks mate, depending how much free time I have, I would love to explore around different places.

I will also be taking my new Major Craft travel spin rod as well, 6"6 2-4kg. Should arrive tomorrow;D

Ben