PDA

View Full Version : Yellowing Transom

The-easyrider
22-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Hi guys and girls I am in need of a little enlightenment please. I have noticed over time that the transom of my boat is yellowing quite a bit while the remainder of the boat stays white. The boat is washed after each use with soapy water and kept in a shed ,it is a 4.3L petrol sterndrive with a alpha 1 drive, the yellowing seems to be radating out from the drive unit and is not restricted to the fibreglass as it is also on the alloy cover over the transducer. I am thinking it is heat related and am wondering if this is normal for inboards. I did add some insurlation to the engine box to quiten it down a bit but I am sure the yellowing was present before that although I couldn't be sure. The gauges dont show the engine overheating at all.

peterbo3
22-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Possibly it is caused by exhaust fumes. Even when you are motoring there will be an area of lower air pressure at the transom & the fumes will be sucked back. Plus the fumes will always be there at idle.
Try buffing a small section of FG with one of the many FG buffing/cutting compounds. You may need to apply polish to the affected area once you clean it.

Blackened
22-01-2009, 07:11 PM
G'day

It's pretty common to be honest, polishing will do nothing if it's stained the way I think it will be.

Spray on some septone drifter, let it do its work and then hose off liberally, re seal the area with a good quality polish or wax.

Dave

Roughasguts
22-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Hi Dave, does the septone drifter work on white gunall plastic. mine always goes yellow I rub it down with W&D takes forever and boring as hell but works very well. But now I'm sick of doing that, Will the septone drifter do the trick with out the labour.

Cheers Justin

Blackened
22-01-2009, 08:41 PM
G'day

Rag, not to my knowledge, but by all means try a bit of it.

Gunnal rubber is just a pain in the arse, once its pores open up it's more or less buggered, the yellowing that occurs on the rubber I liken it to sunburn

Dave

Roughasguts
22-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Thank's Dave I kinda figured it was past it's use by date.

Anyway I'll try some drifter and maybe some C.L.R. as well, and report back if it works.

Cheers.

Blackened
23-01-2009, 07:02 AM
G'day

Have a look at what the clr is, the drifter's phosphoric acid, I think clr is oxalic based, maybe? Either way, they're almost the same thing.

Best way to keep those gunnal rubbers white............................... keep them out of the sun from new. Why? just look at the underside

Dave

Roughasguts
23-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Thank's Dave, me tubs been out the sun for the last 7 years, infact she's been out the water pretty much all that time aswell:'(

But your right she had sun for the first 5 years of it's life, one side is a little more ordinary than the other.

Cheers

legless
23-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Exhaust fumes.. no need to worry