PDA

View Full Version : First Marlin with a bit of luck!

scoota
22-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Had one of those days yesterday where all plans failed but plan Z produced something I won't forget for a while.
Plan was to target dawn snapper and pearlies then chase spanish and spotties after sun up.
Left a glass out Bribie at 3am to all of a sudden getting air across the bay:o not what we exepcted but soldiered on to spot A only to find 15-20knots of northerly and the current heading north. Unfishable on the drift and fishing under the boat on the anchor. The fish weren't on the chew at all and the sea was now 1.5m backless waves so heading north chasing mackies was canned.
Tried other grounds but even the sea anchor was turning itself inside out on the wave surges so we anchored up on a cobia spot and burlied like mad.
All but givin up while eating lunch when the livey rod went off with those familiar head shakes of a cobia then pulled the hooks>:( >:( .
Cursing the tuna circle hooks that I never use out it goes again, back into the sangers and trying to find the dummy I spat into the bottom of the boat.
Minutes later its off again but heading for the surface at rapid speed and out of the water it came a beautiful black:o
Andrews off for the camera and I'm thinking, never been attached to one of these and trying to recall what I've read on Ausfish about tackling one.
More line gone, more air and the TSS4 reel is not happy but with 50lb braid and 80lb leader I put some hurt on him and the fight is on.
Would like to have been chasing him and not on the pick but got him closer with more arials, jumps over the anchor rope and boatside for some happy snaps.He was still biting down and kicking a little with what looked like part of his insides hanging out and hooked deep so we cut the leader as close as possible and let him go quickly.
That made a crap day a whole lot better. They are a spectacular fish and I can see why people love catching them. I'm not hooked, still prefer chasing tastier fish myself but won't forget the rush.8-)

Happy Days..

Scoota...

reel scream
22-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Bit of fun there Scoota. Would be the biggest fish the TSS4 has landed i would think?
Is this Cobia spot inside the Banks?

Cheers Scott

tailorboi99
22-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Awesome shots mate, congratulations on your first marlin aswell.

Tom

Frank OO
22-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Hi Scoota,

Great Fish and top photos mate.

I agree mate, there is nothing as exciting as catching a Pearlie from 80 Meters (Not)

The Marlin experience will live with you forever.. Well done.

Frank OO

Midnight
22-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Gday Scoota,

Well done and well done to your mate having presence of mind to grab the camera for you.

It is the Marlin's stomach hanging out, they do that sometimes trying to throw up whatever it is they ate that is now causing them grief! She'll be right after a bit of a swim.

Cheers,
Myles

Fishbait
22-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Definately a nice catch indeed. That'd be awesome - never caught one myself but what an adrenaline rush. Well Done! Cheers, Darren.

skipalong
22-01-2009, 07:41 PM
top black mate you will be hooked now back doing again ont the weekene. should be a few caught i imagine all those boats chasin billies

cheers justin

kevy
23-01-2009, 06:29 AM
well done scoota on catch & release & top shots on andrews part with the camera, cheers, kevy.

Crisp Bee
23-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Well done, that would be a real buzz indeed!!!

lizard bribie
06-02-2009, 06:20 AM
HI SCOOTA GREAT FISH MATE@PICS ANDREW BACK FROM TURKEY BEACH FOR AFEW DAYS R @ R WILL TRY AND CATCH UP CHEERS lizard bribie:D ::)

ooglie74
06-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Top fish there scoota, there is nothing like seeeing a billie do their thing at the back of the boat.

Cheers Troy

work2fish
08-02-2009, 04:42 PM
nice work great pics
ended up being a good day after all

W2F

TimiBoy
08-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous!!!!

Cheers,

Tim

tropicrows
08-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Well you know what to do tim. Scoota how deep were u fishing.

brute898
08-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Nice fish mate and top pics. Good to see you kept persisting and it payed off after all.

Fishing_Freddy
09-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Well done on your first marlin and some good action shots congrats to photographer.
Ken:beer: