PDA

View Full Version : Double hook-up of a different kind

Colo77
21-01-2009, 10:46 PM
On a recent trip to Teemburra with my cousin, we experienced a double hook-up that was quite out of the ordinary! The pics speak for themselves. They're only little tackers but my cus says the bite was similtaneous, ie there was no 2nd hit, we thought he only had 1 fish on til they came into view8-) .

I had heard of this before but thought it was pretty cool to witness first hand. Which got me to thinking... what's your out of the ordinary fishin tale? There's gotta be a few out there. Let's hear it.

Cheers,

Chamelion
22-01-2009, 04:42 AM
A mate of mine recently got snagged.. He proceeded to very roughly yank it off half expecting to lose his gear. Instead he pulled in a length of someone elses braid, complete with a sinker, swivel, hook and on said hook was a healthy looking moses perch. His own bait was untouched.

My daughter recently caught a flatty, at least she thought she did until I went to net the bugger and out of its mouth was spat a whiting, which she HAD hooked.

Matt.

Poseidon
22-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Same thing has happened to us when fishing for Sooties. Often times when there are a few hanging around a snag they will fight over the lure quite savagely resulting in the double hook-up.

Here is a pic of from last year.

Regards Cameron.

flairj
22-01-2009, 12:22 PM
A guy that used to frequent the boards called Dodgyback used to have a profile picture of 2 Mangrove Jacks he caught on one popper.

I'm waiting for the day it happens to me and I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Everytime I see Bream or Trevally all lit up swimming next to a mate hooked up I keep hoping one of the school will try and pick it out of its mouth.

As far as strange things happening to me, the most strange was catching a 45cm Yellowbelly in full salt water. Not just below a weir, not soon after big flows of fresh, I mean clean saltwater. A fish expert later told me it was very strange as Yellows can only last about 3 days in salt water.

I had a good one today too. Fishing Mooloolabah this morning and caught a Cod of about 35cm while fishing for Bream and the litle bugger coughed up a Skink, a big one. I thought it was a small snake as it was about twice as thick as my thumb, until I saw the legs on it. I don't know why a lizard that big would be doing swimming around a canal.

Josh

themissus
22-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Being the eldest of six kids...it reminds me of mealtimes in the good old days!!

Dick Pasfield
22-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Had a few double hook ups on sootys, seems to be common when they're on the chow. Also had it with little trevors in the salt. This was my last, unusual as it involved two different species, fingermark and cod.

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr4/dickpasfield/3-3.jpg

Fishbait
22-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Those are amazing pic's. Never seen that before - I'm lucky just to attract one to my lure. Darren.

Colo77
22-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Theres some good stories there guys. Keep em comin;D .

Dick, 2 species on one lure a the same time, now you've raised the bar:P 8-) :smartass: .

Josh, 2 jacks, awesome 8-) , a yella in the salt:o , there's something unlikely to be witnessed again in a hurry. I was born & bred in yella country in Central Qld. Must have been washed over a weir or out of a farm dam or somethin. In saying that they normally travel upstream against the run!??? Strange:confused:
I got a couple of old SP lizards, might have to give em a whirl.

Matt. that's a class act. 2 fish on a single hook, well done to your daughter:2thumbsup:

Cheers,

flatzie
22-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Yes we also often caught two sooties on one barra lure up in the Wenlock some yrs back, you see a bunch of them come charging out of a snag after the lure, they are agro fish.these guys were like 3-4 ponders too. I have some video footage of pulling two up on a sandbar on one lure!
Flatzie

Colo77
22-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Seems to be a common phenomenon with the sooties but first time I have encountered after 2 years in Sooty country, sounds like it won't be the last. Hopefully the next 2 will be the average 40odd cm models in the freshwater of the Pioneer River :cool2: .

Dick Pasfield
22-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Caught a couple of 40 plus sootys Colo (got a pic but its a slide) they actually fight against each other.Sort of like pulling in a heap of commotion that's going nowhere (if you know what I mean;))

Colo77
22-01-2009, 09:55 PM
I assumed it might be a bit like that Dick. What about the fingermark & cod?? Sometimes you see the odd barra lurking under/alongside 1 of his hooked brothers/sisters, almost like a shadow. Could spell trouble if it decided to have a go as well.

Dick Pasfield
22-01-2009, 10:56 PM
What about the fingermark & cod??

Yes much the same, like winding in a washing machine on the spin cycle

Leigh77
23-01-2009, 06:55 AM
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/g_loomis/IMGP0576.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/g_loomis/IMGP0578.jpg

Two Bass, one lure. I didnt know what was happening when they hit, as both fish were flopping across the surface nearly the whole. (Obviously they have never watched Nemo, and didnt know to "swim down").

Another time, years ago, while fishing Maroon I hooked a (guess)30-35cm Bass and as I brought it up there was a HUGE shadow following it. I mean this thing was near 1 mtr long...I nearly had a involuntary bowel movement as I didnt realize there were Cod that big in Maroon.

Anyway, I let the Bass swim back to the bottom on freespool and sure enough the Cod grabbed it...again and again and again. But the mainhook of the spinnerbait couldnt find the mark unfortunately.

For a few months after I fished that same hole with big lures/plastics and could not draw a hit...Old man Cod must really favour the Bass.

Leigh.