PDA

View Full Version : stress free anchor winches

Seafarer SA
21-01-2009, 04:28 PM
I have a seafarer ventura 5.5m and I am thinking of installing a free fall stress free anchor winch.Can anybody offer any advise or previous experience with this drum winch prior to me spending some serious coin.:)

thanks david

Chimo
21-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Get one of these while you think a bit more about it.:-*

Cheers
Chimo

John Buoy
21-01-2009, 05:44 PM
I have a seafarer ventura 5.5m and I am thinking of installing a free fall stress free anchor winch.Can anybody offer any advise or previous experience with this drum winch prior to me spending some serious coin.:)

thanks david
Great winches that have gone the distance for many years.

The Mini will do the job for your size boat BUT only handles
80 mts of 8mm rope and chain.
If you dont anchor more than 25-30 mts this is probably enough.
For me and peace of mind and if it fits your hatch
I would opt for the Midi version that holds a bit more rope and chain.
Theres a chap here in Melbourne who is a geariing engineer and he has deigned a
very similar unit which sells for $500 cheaper than SF!!!
Cannot remember his full name sorry.. but starts with Nick ..... Discount CMART
sells the product and they have a lot of respect for his model
and brag on how it's over engineered .
Just remember that the standard version dont have an override so if your battery or
electronics are dead so is your winch and in a dangerous drift this could be
a risk.
Solutuion is carry a spare rope and chain or go for the new version Stress Free
which is the New Generation SF which has a manual override and is heaps faster
to operate.
Also make sure to use a Swivel connector at the chain ending.;)

Regards Frank

Spaniard_King
21-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Do you have the correct structual integrity to install the winch on? Most winches will specify minimum suport thicknesses.

Its possible you will need some fiberglass reinforcement in the area you want to put the winch. Just something to think about.

Seafarer SA
21-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Great winches that have gone the distance for many years.

The Mini will do the job for your size boat BUT only handles
80 mts of 8mm rope and chain.
If you dont anchor more than 25-30 mts this is probably enough.
For me and peace of mind and if it fits your hatch
I would opt for the Midi version that holds a bit more rope and chain.
Theres a chap here in Melbourne who is a geariing engineer and he has deigned a
very similar unit which sells for $500 cheaper than SF!!!
Cannot remember his full name sorry.. but starts with Nick ..... Discount CMART
sells the product and they have a lot of respect for his model
and brag on how it's over engineered .
Just remember that the standard version dont have an override so if your battery or
electronics are dead so is your winch and in a dangerous drift this could be
a risk.
Solutuion is carry a spare rope and chain or go for the new version Stress Free
which is the New Generation SF which has a manual override and is heaps faster
to operate.
Also make sure to use a Swivel connector at the chain ending.;)

Regards Frank
Thanks frank, some usefull tips will do a little more research.

Coontakinta
22-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Seafarer, do some investigating of Mick's Winch equal product to that of the Stress Free at a fraction of the cost.

I'm not certain, but believe he may also put them on ebay so may be able to find them that way.

Mick is located in Adelaide which is sure to assist you in getting one if the SA represents what I think it does

John Buoy
22-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Seafarer, do some investigating of Mick's Winch equal product to that of the Stress Free at a fraction of the cost.

I'm not certain, but believe he may also put them on ebay so may be able to find them that way.

Mick is located in Adelaide which is sure to assist you in getting one if the SA represents what I think it does

Probably the same person i was refering too
but i was told he is in Melb::)

Do you have any contact info?

regards frank

John Buoy
22-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Probably the same person i was refering too
but i was told he is in Melb::)

Do you have any contact info?

regards frank

It's Ok Coonta I found it 8-)

Seafarer SA
22-01-2009, 07:55 PM

Thanks for your input, any ideas on how or where to contact micks winches. cherrs

John Buoy
22-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks for your input, any ideas on how or where to contact micks winches. cherrs

mdawe@heatleysales.com.au or snowy1@lizzy.com.au

I emailed him today and his set ups are $1500 + Del

Regards Frank

Coontakinta
23-01-2009, 07:19 AM
Seafarer have sent u an IM with mobile # But that email John Bouy has put up look the deal as well.

Doubt u'll be disappointed, plenty of happy customers with them and I'm saving for one. Ha ha ha ha

John Buoy
31-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Ok here are some pics supplied by Micks Winch
for those that are interested..

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2982/img2748thq1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/469/05527rjdy6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7681/pic5001hx5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6926/05527rjmw9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Regards Frank

Horto22
01-02-2009, 09:50 AM
We had a mini stress free on our bar 6.1m crusher and it was excellent. Onlt problem we had was when you overspooled drum when releasing winch and not paying attention. We have just put a Stress freem NG Maxi (free fall winch) on or new 8.0m Fisher, and this will all bu elimianate the chance of overspool as it doesnt requier the operator to take his finger off down button. It makes fast and accurate anchor deployment a soda.

I say Mick winches are equivent to the original Stress fress but wouldnt have the free fall function.

Cheers
Horto

Marlin_Mike
01-02-2009, 10:36 AM
I have the best stress free brand of winch on the market.

It's called a 21 year old son..................... except thatbrand eats a bit..........

Mike

Seafarer SA
08-02-2009, 07:15 PM
We had a mini stress free on our bar 6.1m crusher and it was excellent. Onlt problem we had was when you overspooled drum when releasing winch and not paying attention. We have just put a Stress freem NG Maxi (free fall winch) on or new 8.0m Fisher, and this will all bu elimianate the chance of overspool as it doesnt requier the operator to take his finger off down button. It makes fast and accurate anchor deployment a soda.

I say Mick winches are equivent to the original Stress fress but wouldnt have the free fall function.

Cheers
Horto
Horto,
Thanks for th input, just had mick around with one of his winches and can advise that he is as honest as they come, we talked thru the winch and its set up and i have decided to purchase one of his units.At least $500 cheaper than other brands .Time will tell but Ill be glad not to manually be pulling the anchor anymore.
cherrs

seafarer sa

termi
08-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Have had one of micks winches for over 12 months with no problems. Very well built and it holds 100m of 10 nylon rope with 8m of short link chain. Several hundred cheaper than stress frees smallest which holds less rope.

Maccas
03-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Hey Termi,

I am looking at putting an anchor winch on my KC5.2 so wondered whether you looked at any other winch before you got the stress free type. I know that you said that Mick's winches are cheaper but was there any disadvantages compared to stress free or other types. Could you post a picture of your set up as I would like to see how you have done it.
I was also interested in putting a fibreglass bowsprit so I can leave anchor attached to chain so interested in your set up as well.

Cheers,

Maccas