PDA

View Full Version : can i drop off pickup vic point jetty?

Razgo-
20-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Does anyone know if your allowed to use the vic point jetty where the ferry picks up drops off?

I should have my bay cruiser on a mooring in the next week and wondered if the general public is allowed to use that jetty and obviously keeping out of the ferries way.

anyone used it before? who would i even ask? Redlands council?

finga
20-01-2009, 08:21 PM
What about the jetty at the council boatramp 200m to the north??

Razgo-
20-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Hi Scott, i did consider the floating pontoon jetty but after being down their the other day to inspect how i might get my wife on and off i was gob smacked at how much it moves.

Admittedly it was a very windy day. It was like watching a giant caterpillar with fire crackers up it's clacker wriggling all over the place. In fact i walked out halfway and shit myself hanging on to the middle pylon and had to wait a bit before attempting to get back without being flung off into the water.

Of course i would only pull up there on a calm day anyway but it did concern me with the weight of my boat which is probably around 6 tonne tied up against it and a rogue wave.

I did wonder if i was even allowed to do that on that pontoon too. The sign does say specifically for trailer boats only. But i guess that was referring to the actual ramp itself.

now where i would really like to pull up at is the redland bay ferry terminal which is a you beaut undercover pontoon setup! dont think they would let in there though :(

finga
20-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Mate, I'd be worth a call to them all to find out.
They might be very helpful to you.

Give a call if you need a hand. I'll be away for a week or so though from Friday

nelton87
20-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Razgo,

I am pretty sure the old Commercial pontoon in Redland Bay would be suitable for Short Term use only, Suggest a phone call to maybe Wayne Matthews at Redland City Council. This pontoon is the one just after the public ramp in the creek before the marina.
He may be able to steer you in the right direction especially with your needs, I think from memory your wife is in a wheelchair.

The only problem will usually be if you abuse the privllege and leave the vessel tied up to long as it is also used by the Water Police frequently.

Cheers
nelton

Razgo-
21-01-2009, 07:08 AM
Hi nelton, i sussed that one out too a while ago. It's the one next to the boat ramp in the creek your talking about?

edit/

Just had a look at google earth and i see the pontoon now your talking about. i never noticed it when i went down there, only the jetty beside the ramp.

I will re investigate that one.

and i can see what looks to be 2 pontoons now? might take a drive down there this morning for another look as i think i missed that one.

Thanks for the offer scott, i will see how things pan out. One thing though i am very happy i found someone else to lay the mooring for only $1,750 which includes a HUGE $200.00 BUOY. so without BUOY its only $1,450 compared to pelican slipways who want $2,500 without BUOY. saved me self over $1K and very happy :)

Razgo-
21-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Ok, so i rang Weinam Ck Marina/Car Compounds
3829 8537

The verdict is in.

YES, you can use the Victoria point jetty that the ferry uses. Advice is to get the ferry timetable so as to avoid the ferry.

YES, you can use the pontoon jetty next to the ramp at Weinam creek.

Also.

the pen berth 36' is $1,319.31 a quarter.

the pole moorings is paid for yearly in advance June-July. so it would only be $68.38 if you took a pole on Monday.

However these are 48hr pole moorings. you must move your boat every 48hrs and have a 48hr gap before your allowed back on.

So i think i will definitely take a look at using the vic point jetty first since that's the closest point to my mooring. I will have to have a look at low tide to see how far below the jetty platform i would be as a worse case scenario.

That should be an experience doing that for the first time.