PDA

View Full Version : prop talk

jekylandhyde
20-01-2009, 07:25 PM
I am considering purchasing 2 solas props for my 200hpdi's. Does anyone have any comments good or bad, with results from solas ,advice and equipment?

I am currently running 15 1/4 x 17inch pitch yamaha black stainless on my Grady White 265 express and it is not getting to full revs when lightly loaded.
Boat has excellent holeshot and i am willing to sacrafice some holeshot for better cruising economy.

As it doesn't reach 5,600 (full revs) only 5,300 I thought I may be able to improve on cruising numbers.

garman1
20-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Excellent advice, Excellent service, Prompt delivery, good prices...................

Blackened
20-01-2009, 07:28 PM
G'day

The solas props are very good, but I only have experience in the small alloy props.

The guys there are very knowledgeable, well worth a chat with, on here FNQ is the resident prop expert, great bloke to boot

Dave

Wahoo
20-01-2009, 07:37 PM
IMO, cheap stainless

Q8160
20-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Hi, have been running a 4 blade sols on a 90 Johno for the last 6 years and find it better than the 3 blade .... had reason to return one to solas for a heavy repair ( mate found a couple of good rocks in the Logan ), came back repaire like it was new and still gives the same responce and economy.
Felix

trueblue
21-01-2009, 12:01 AM
I have a 4 blade solas prop, that has advantages and disadvantages. 130 HP Yamaha 2 stroke saltwater series (1995 model).

Running at a decent cruise of 4500 rpm in calm water and trimmed right out with this prop, I get only about 1.2 klm per litre - thirsty as.

Put the boat into sloppy 1.5m crap, pounding like hell, trimmed right in, when fuel consumption is expected to go up, I usually run at about 3900 - 4100 rpm and it will give me 1.45 klm per litre.

This prop just loves the mid rev range on my set up and in the sloppy crap I get no engine rev surges - it sits steady with barely 100 rpm of variance when going through waves etc.

Wind it up and the fuel consumption gets much more scary. If I want top end cruise in calm water, I put the 3 blade yamaha 17" pitch prop back on - but that prop has disadvantages because it is total crap in choppy water on my boat.

Props are all about negotiating the best solution for your boat.

Solas is great for helping you fine tune what you need. They helped me with trying lots of different types, and different cupping options.

They are a mid ranged stainless steel prop (by no means high end), but more than adequate if you find one that suits your needs.

cheers

Mick

sempre
21-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Im not saying solas arent any good , but i had a pair of 13 7/8 by 21 's left and right on my 115's and they cavitated their ass off , changed to factory susi props in a 20 and the difference is unbelievable .
Maybe the props or maybe the boat , who knows , but now im stuck with these prpos as solas wont take back , not even at a heavily reduced price.
Sam..