PDA

View Full Version : Importing from the states

Tassie JR
20-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Hey i know a few people here have imported outboards motors from the states. I have a few questions for those who have done it. I am looking at importing either a 150 or a 175 hp suzuki 4 stroke. My qustions are:
Who did you import from and where???
who did u ship it with???
how did you go with insurance, quarentine, customs ect???
how long did it take from starting to orgaise the motor untill you recieved the motor???
and anything else we should no???

thanks very much

cheers tassie JR

Scott nthQld
20-01-2009, 07:28 PM
I remember someone else here trying to do the same but ended up getting told no by the yank dealers. Something about how they must be the ones to install onto a boat or something along those lines.

Fishbait
20-01-2009, 07:47 PM
No sure if this helps Tassie Jnr.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=128589&highlight=importing+suzuki+motors

Cheers mate, Darren.

Luke G
20-01-2009, 08:25 PM
I remember someone else here trying to do the same but ended up getting told no by the yank dealers. Something about how they must be the ones to install onto a boat or something along those lines.

That was me. I tried to go through Eds Marine but they didn't want anything to do with me unless they mounted the motor. Same story for the other dealers over there I spoke to.

I even had an importer try and get me one (He imported my old mans GMC last year, he does it for a living) with no luck.

However there are a few members on here who did it - hopefuly they see this thread and tell you how.

In the end for me it was getting too hard and so I brought one localy for a decent price - Suzuki DF150.

monkey76
20-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Tassie JR I bring in 40 foot containers from the US 6 times a year PM me and I will discuss the correct and easiest process. Depending on what you want I caould find room in a container or at least put you in contact with other importers and brokers that could help reduce freight costs etc. Currently all sea frieght is at a solw rate taking between 6-8 weeks. It is also a lot more cost effective purchasing from the east coast of the USA.
Hope this helps

Tassie JR
21-01-2009, 07:14 PM
Hey scott i know people here have done it so hopefully they might read this thread.

Thanks very much Darren ill have a read.

Hey luke now the prices in aus have gone up it will be a real big saving if we can get a motor from the states.

Thanks heaps Monkey, The crates the suzi's come in is about 2-3 meters by around 1 meter so that would be all the space required, atm we are just only trying 2 gather information, i will deffintly swing you a p.m if we can find out some more info.

Thanks very much fellas.

cheers tassie JR

dnej
21-01-2009, 07:31 PM
ray_boat_parts@yahoo.com
This is your man.Ask for his best price.
David

Tassie JR
21-01-2009, 07:36 PM
ray_boat_parts@yahoo.com
This is your man.Ask for his best price.
David

Thanks very much David have you or do you know anybody that has delt with him.

btw does anybody know the time over there atm.

thanks cheers tassie JR

monkey76
21-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Tassie JR which part of the US are you after the time I will let you know otherwise google the time difference. If it is simply a crate with an outboard try Mac customs in Brisbane thtas who I use. If you can get it to Colorado I will more than likely be able to throw it into one of my containers for a carton or two

poundalead
21-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Leezor was the bloke who imported a boat from the U.S. Seaswirl Striper from memory.

Good luck Tassie

Tassie JR
22-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Hey Monkey, i have been emailing Ray jr at The Boat Place, he has gave me a contact number but i am having difficulty calling him i need the area code number, apparently i have to put the area code in front of the number, is this correct, is there any other numbers i have 2 put in front of it because even with the area code it still dont work?? He is at Naples Florida, so im guessing thats the east coast?? And i worked out that they are 14 hours behind us??

Cheers tassie JR

cormorant
22-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Make sure you motor also includes all the stuff needed for rigging it, gauges, props, controls and you may want to also get hydraulic steering unit as they are cheaper over there. A lot of motors over there are quoted without a rigging kit. Seriously consider a second powerhead dressed powerhead or motor and you will never have to worry about a warranty claim stopping your fishing.

Remember that you most likely won't be covered by any sort of Aussie warranty even if it dead on arrival. Check your local mechanic will rig it and support it especially if it requires any software updates or pre delivery computer updates. Buy the software in the states and link cable if you do your own serviing and alsoand original set of service and maintainance manuals so you can troubleshoot. Geeze old teck motors were so simple weren't they?

Last hint - buy close to your shipping point as overland transport in the states with handling charges is expensive.

The coral trouts
24-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Trucking from Florida, East Coast to California, West Coast as arranged by Ray Jr $Aust 285 for 140 Suzi 4 Stk. not that dear. I struggled to find a west coast dealer with prices comparable to Ray Jr at The_Boat_Place , Nalpes, Florida.

07 140 Suz 2 stk $US 7500

Rigging kit $US 1200

GST 10% on purchase and freight, pay seperate invoices, possibility to then only submit purchase price invoice.
Although this is probably not what the tax department wants to hear ;)

Personnaly I would not get the rigging kit next time given the issues with guessing cable lengths and cheap stainless props, control units and wiring harnesses on ebay. More savings to be made here.

The trouts

The coral trouts
24-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Ray Jr
0011 1 239 200 9597
I rang about 0700 and it is late arvo there.

SNAPPERCOFFIN
24-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Good luck with warranty

cormorant
24-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Duty is normally on product cost and postage.

We have used and Aussie agent and paid a seperate Aussie dollar amount for all freight and services ( so have already paid GST here) and don't include it in Duty payable on import as it decomes duty on duty. Get advice on this.

foggy
24-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Did a fair bit of research on this 6months or so ago.

1. There is no import duty payable, just GST on the full price including shipping.
2. There will be a small fee from customs. (about $50 from memory)
3. THERE IS NO WARRANTY. This is the big one.

But on the upside, the savings to be had are probably well worth it. I did not go ahead with mine only because my money had to go elsewhere at the time.

I probably will go ahead once the finances allow me to.

Foggy

dnej
25-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Foggy,
Why do you say there is no import duty. My understanding is you pay once the item is over $1000.
David

foggy
25-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Foggy,
Why do you say there is no import duty. My understanding is you pay once the item is over $1000.
David

David,

There is a number of items that do not attract any duty. Outboards are on the exempt list. I actually rang customs to clarify this.

Foggy

Tassie JR
25-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks alot every 1 for your replies, well atm we starting to sorta turn off the idea, for a couple of reasons.
Reason 1= i heard that the moters in america are not up to the australian corosion standard??
Reason 2= not sure if we could really trust that amount of money in some 1 elses hands halfway across the world.
Reason 3= Everything with the insurance company has turned out well with the old twin 60's, so if we got a motor from america the boat would still be out of the water for a few more months.

Im sure everything would turn out pretty well, if we decide to go ahead with it.

And mark (snapper coffin) warranty aint really a big issue, as if something did go wrong the money you would save would make up for a lot of warranty work.

We are waiting for a call from ray JR from the boat place in naples, so we will see where it goes from there.

Once again thanks every 1 much appreciated. Hope this thread might help others in the future, looking for the same info as us, it would be well worth it if you have the time and patience to do it.

cheers tassie JR

Almighty
14-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Hi,
I bought my 300 suzuki from Ray Jr.
Motor arrived in about 8 weeks
cost me around 18k landed in Brisbane
Runs like a dream
did get some damage on the engine cowl due to shipping.
I don't believe that that there is a corrision problem with them some is having fun !
Mines fines now
I saved close to 20k on my purchase so I can do a lot of repairs for that.
I did get 94c to the $ last year :D

FNQCairns
16-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks alot every 1 for your replies, well atm we starting to sorta turn off the idea, for a couple of reasons.
Reason 1= i heard that the moters in america are not up to the australian corosion standard??
Reason 2= not sure if we could really trust that amount of money in some 1 elses hands halfway across the world.
Reason 3= Everything with the insurance company has turned out well with the old twin 60's, so if we got a motor from america the boat would still be out of the water for a few more months.

Im sure everything would turn out pretty well, if we decide to go ahead with it.

And mark (snapper coffin) warranty aint really a big issue, as if something did go wrong the money you would save would make up for a lot of warranty work.

We are waiting for a call from ray JR from the boat place in naples, so we will see where it goes from there.

Once again thanks every 1 much appreciated. Hope this thread might help others in the future, looking for the same info as us, it would be well worth it if you have the time and patience to do it.

cheers tassie JR

Worth a try anyway, your post will help someone I am sure, BTW the corrosion resistance is identical, our outboards and theirs are like peas in a pod in any area that matters, I WILL be importing if that day ever comes, I have an old tech outboard so could have a 20year wait before the need to upgrade.

cheers fnq

Noelm
16-04-2009, 03:45 PM
hey, almighty, might pay to keep a bit of an eye on your Oil filter, I am a member of a couple of US sites and have some friends over there and it seems there has been some failures of the 300HP Oil filters, they split around the end and all the Oil pumps out, does no damage as long as you stop when the warning goes off, but you are dead unless you just happen to have a spare, and some Oil and tools with you, now there is a thousand times more 300's in the US and there have only been some failures, but you never know, early signs is the filter starts to distort at the end, then a split and it's all over!

Wahoo
16-04-2009, 06:53 PM
the AU is looking good , buying a GPS or what ever you will save a few $$$$ now

Daz