PDA

View Full Version : When does something that floats become a boat??

finga
20-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Gidday all,
Seeing we've got the new 'little red boat' I was wondering exactly when does any thing that floats become a boat??
Does the 'little red boat' need an anchor and bailing equipment and all the other safety gear including life jackets for the old farts??
Kiddly winks under 15 will have life jackets...no option there with us I'm afraid.
It's 2.5m with a 2hp Honda.
When does a toy stop being a toy??
Ta Scott :)

Dirtysanchez
20-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Hi mate, considering those 2 blokes in the news today survived 25 days in a mega esky (apparently) drifting at sea, I think the answer is just about anything!

I recall some blokes I used to know as a young man who would go to the tip and get old bath tubs and set them up with a 6hp on the back and race them around tuggerah lakes. It actually became a bit of an event after a while.

Maybe I should put my 30lb eleccy on the back of the boogie board & see how it goes :D

on-one
20-01-2009, 02:15 PM
I think it's a boat if you're not using it in a swimming pool, if a kid forgets to undo the air screw on the fuel tank and the engine dies an anchor will stop them drifting out of sight or into the path of a riviera whilst they work out what they've done wrong and if nothing else the adult life jackets will give you somewhere comfortable to sit

shrunken pojie
20-01-2009, 02:43 PM
In the instance you're talking about, when it is registable. But I do like the ideas and theory in what no-one is saying! A couple of paddles wouldn't go astray either. Perhaps you need a second one (maybe in yellow {high vis}) to carry the safety gear in?

finga
20-01-2009, 03:18 PM
The boat will only be used when the littleun's are within eyesite in the canals with a 6kt speed limit in Raby Bay.
A couple of paddles is a good idea and there's no external fuel tank.
It's on top of the motor.

on-one
20-01-2009, 03:27 PM
they'll probably start to roam a bit further as confidence (theirs and yours) grows though so it's worth carrying the safety gear, I've got a dinghy that size as a tender and still cary spare fuel and a tiny folding anchor and have been glad of both a couple of times

Spaniard_King
20-01-2009, 07:35 PM
.. Mate IMO if they are out on their own they should be able to swim at least 50M and have some rules of the road knowledge.

Don't know about the term "Boat" but if it floats it should be termed a Vessel.

BrewGuru
20-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Hi mate, considering those 2 blokes in the news today survived 25 days in a mega esky (apparently) drifting at sea, I think the answer is just about anything!

I recall some blokes I used to know as a young man who would go to the tip and get old bath tubs and set them up with a 6hp on the back and race them around tuggerah lakes. actually became a bit of an event after a while.

Maybe I should put my 30lb eleccy on the back of the boogie board & see how it goes :D

Are yes the ole Bathtub Derby in Sydney was a real Hoot, fibreglass bathtubs with blue printed 6 hp running from Birkenhead point to Sydney heads and back.
By the way, I sunk on my virginal race, I hit one of the 44gallon race markers at top speed and 50kgs lighter.

BREAMBOSS01
20-01-2009, 07:46 PM
you only have to carry the safety gear in a registerable vessel. but an anchor and paddles would be good to stop some where and fish and if the motor stops. life jackets are cheap when it comes to safety.

GBC
20-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Hey Finga,

I once made it from Hervey Bay to almost Fraser behind Little Woody (the hole) and back - in an 8 ft savage tern with a 2.5 hp tohatsu - all on the premise of going whiting fishing out the front of Pulgul Creek. My Parents were never the wiser, and were really impressed at the blackall I got just off the 'creek'.

I think I was about ten.

The dodgiest part was hanging over the stern to refuel the engine mounted tank over a hot motor.

Little boats can go great distances.

My parents were convinced that the little boat would never plane, but with one ten year old and a little swell surfing anything was possible - unless they made me take my sister:'( .

finga
20-01-2009, 08:19 PM
I think it's a boat if you're not using it in a swimming pool, if a kid forgets to undo the air screw on the fuel tank and the engine dies an anchor will stop them drifting out of sight or into the path of a riviera whilst they work out what they've done wrong and if nothing else the adult life jackets will give you somewhere comfortable to sit

they'll probably start to roam a bit further as confidence (theirs and yours) grows though so it's worth carrying the safety gear, I've got a dinghy that size as a tender and still cary spare fuel and a tiny folding anchor and have been glad of both a couple of times
I think I'd rather them have some paddles instead of trying to refuel a fuel tank on top of a hot motor and they know when we make rules they are to obeyed or your out. Simple really

.. Mate IMO if they are out on their own they should be able to swim at least 50M and have some rules of the road knowledge.

Don't know about the term "Boat" but if it floats it should be termed a Vessel.
Yep, done. They can all swim for miles and have been swimming since before they could walk.
Whilst these kiddies' parents do not have a boat they've been with people in boats enough times to know the rules.
When they're with me I ask them questions about navigation ie which side of the buoy and which side are we going to past or which side should they pass us etc etc.
They're good kids (all over 12) with some experience but we want to give them some more experience where we can keep a close eye on them.
I actually rang maritime safety and they said anything underway is a boat which is anything that floats including surf ski's, air beds and boogy boards but upon further investigation it was assumed anything registered is required to carry safety gear and as a skipper of any vessel you have the safety obigation to be, funnily enough, obligated too.
So they'll get some paddles, a fold up anchor, some rope and a mirror to signal us if they get into strife. Or they'll probably just yell. :P
The jackets they'll have on their backs at all times.
Ta all for your input
Cheers Scott :)
Now we just have to name the yellow boat seeing they didn't have a fast red one :P

Fishbait
20-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Hey Scott - maybe an esky in the boat as well - seems to be a lifesaver recently to some folk also.;D

finga
21-01-2009, 06:33 AM
Forgot to mention that one really good feature of these little suckers is the positive buoyancy of the poly stuff.
Even if they tip it upside down and fill it with water and the outer chambers fill with water she still isn't gowning down.
She's going to float quite happily until someone plucks her out again.

Buddy Mania
21-01-2009, 01:30 PM
http://www.eliboat.com/wp-content/Tableboat.jpg

levinge
21-01-2009, 01:50 PM
I see Tabs has bought out a new Plate Model

The Dinner Plate boat
Draught - 1 inch
total positive bouyancy
and any clown operate it!!!!

slyman
21-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Something like this could provide a bit of peace of mind too, one for the boat one for the "port" :)

http://www.uniden.com.au/AUSTRALIA/p_uh037sx2_index.asp