PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Fishin' Mission Jan 09

Schuey
20-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Cory and I headed up to Fraser for another quick fishin' mission before the southerly change was going to blow. We got up at 4 a.m the first day to find a solid easterly wind and swell on the bar which was a lot more than forecast. (Forecast was 10 knots going 10/15). So after a healthy debate on the situation we were forced to shelve the fishing plans till we saw it change. We went down to Kingfisher Bay Resort for a few beers and lunch. Driving back we sensed the wind had dropped and I've got to say I've never had a rougher or quicker ride in the ute back to Orchid beach. The cripple's knee has obviously healed after surgery as we flogged it home and hooked the boat up. Ended up on the water at 4 pm and didn’t get back till 4 pm the next day. After a couple of quick fish on dusk, everything shut down and made for a very quiet night. The next day was great weather and a good feed of fish with the usual suspects showing up, Hussar, Red Throat, Parrot, Gold Spot Wrasse, Moses Perch etc. The second day was less quantity but better fish being boated. An honourable mention goes to Cory on the second day's fishing where he landed 2 fish all day, and from memory his gold spot wrasse went about 36 cm - we forgot to weigh it though. Tried to do a bit of trolling targetting the spanish but didn’t have any luck either. Will try them again in a couple of months time.

Schuey

Te Whiti
20-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Yep a great catch again, sounds like you guys have got some grounds sorted at Fraser.

Personally speaking, I don't think you can beat the vivid colouration of a Red Throat Emperor.

That Jobfish would have put you thru your paces as well !

Top stuff.

RAT-KING
20-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Well done!

with all the fish on the sounder no wonder u's had a geat day!

backlash08
20-01-2009, 12:42 PM
thanks Schuey, good report.
was bait the weapon of choice? what boat did you drag up there and how was the gutter at waddy?
cheers - Craig

jtpython
20-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Mate that is a great trip and a well earned mixed bag
JT

skipalong
20-01-2009, 06:14 PM
nice mate thats a shit load of fish, you must have close to your bag limit, well done great report

cheers justin

snagking
20-01-2009, 08:50 PM
wow, that a great feed! good work!

Schuey
20-01-2009, 08:52 PM
thanks Schuey, good report.
was bait the weapon of choice? what boat did you drag up there and how was the gutter at waddy?
cheers - Craig

G'day Craig. Yeah mate, bait was the weapon of choice, mainly mullet and squid. The current is still howling so pillies weren't much good. Dragged up Cory's 6.5 metre centre cab. There are 2 distinct gutters up at Waddy right now. We found the left one was easier to use. What has changed though is the erosion from the recent king tides. Of the three tracks that go down from orchid beach, 2 of them are closed due to severe erosion, one of them has a 2 metre drop. The most northern one is still open. Hope that helps.

Schuey
20-01-2009, 08:54 PM
nice mate thats a shit load of fish, you must have close to your bag limit, well done great report

cheers justin

G'day Justin, we got our bag on a couple of the species. Couldnt find any spanish though, I'm envious of some your spanish catches recently. You've caught some nice ones.

Plumb-Ezy74
20-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Hi Schuey
Cory has just been and droped in for a feed and drop some fillets off,thanks for a good report and good to hear about a bit of Cory karma. I can't believe that ute made it there again.
Cheers Scott.

Az
21-01-2009, 10:17 AM
nice going mate, what kind of rig is that?

Schuey
21-01-2009, 10:36 AM
nice going mate, what kind of rig is that?

Az, the rig is a 6.5 metre centrecab.

Schuey

beaross
24-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Nice one there mate, look like you had another great trip!
Bear.;D

Fishbait
24-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Nice work Schuey. Thats an awesome shot of the sounder image as well. Darren.