PDA

View Full Version : First Tinnie

Mudguard 92
19-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Hey guys,
We have just got our first tinnie, a 20 to 30 year old 3.1m savage kingfisher that has never been used! At this stage we only have the boat itself, which looks in good condition. The next bit to be bought is the outboard, the maximum HP is 7.5hp..... im not an expert but i thought it may have been more than this. So we priced outboards under 7.5hp and the cheapest was a yammy 2st 6hp, at $1900. So we are going to have a little bit of a hunt around for a 2nd hand motor and if any body here knows about one could you please let me know. At this stage it will be just going in the back of the ute/trailer until we find a boat trailer (information also appreciated). We will also be looking at putting a flat floor/casting deck in it, a sounder and probably an electric motor. What would be a reasonable sounder to use up the creeks and rivers (want to pick up bait etc) and what size electric motor would you need for this size of boat? The boat will be used in fresh water only at this stage.

Thanks alot - Mudguard

finga
20-01-2009, 06:32 AM
Congratulations on your new second hand boat matey.
I just got rid of an excellent little six.
I bit like your boat really...older motor that was rarely used.
Anyways it's gone but as for a sounder my dad has one of those el-cheapo's from k-mart and he reckons it's great in the rivers and creeks.

I would not want to put much extra weight in your boat when you do the floors etc as your restricted to the size of the motor and lose of performance.
A floor will weigh near as much as 1/2 to 1 extra person in the boat.
Something to consider

As for trailers keep an eye out on the Trading Post. They come up there regularly and if your lucky you can pick one up for a couple of hundred smackers with rego.

Cheers then
Scott :)

385EXPLORER
20-01-2009, 07:26 AM
Mudguard,sounds like a good project.I have just been through the trailer and casting deck exercise myself with my explorer,being cash poor I searched around for a second hand trailer,I struggled to find a decent unit with a decent price tag,I ended up buying one of those easy trailers,cost me about $900 and a days work to put it together (all nuts and bolts)It does'nt seem overly strong but my rig is a bit heavier than yours,tows well and no probs yet.I redid my deck with 12mm cd ply weatherproofed myself covered in marine carpet.About $200 in materials.Hope this helps and good luck with it.
Ben

Rowdy_2002
20-01-2009, 08:10 AM
Gday

I agree with Finga in regards to the floor. I think the extra weight will cause a loss of performance. I would try it out first without a floor. With one person on board you should have good performance but if you go two up then you will notice a big drop in performance and even to the point where it may only just get up on the plane.

The rig would make a good outfit for up in small creeks or on impoundments and is similar to one I had once.

Greg

Steboe
20-01-2009, 09:45 AM
A 30lb electric is all you need