PDA

View Full Version : Another crack at the Mack.

thelump
19-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Saturday saw a small window for another go at the Mackeral. At Viccy point ramp at 3.15 and at the bar at 4. Waited till it was light enough to cross and proceeded across a flat bar. Arrived at the bait ground to find them sticking to the bottom till it got lighter when they lifted up and we had a dozen or so in 10 minutes. All yellow tail no slimies though. Bolt up to spot X and baits in. !0 minutes or so and I,m onto the first which is successfully pinned and in the esky. Another few minutes see the first of 2 schoolies caught. Then the tide turned and it was Kaos with fish taking livies as we were feeding them back. Before you no it my deckie and I are even with 1 spaniard and 1 schoolie each of near identical size. The last livie was taken from the bait tank as my deckie undid his spaniard and i sent it back only to be smashed inside of 2 minutes and the last Spaniard was boarded. No more bait and a very ominous storm approaching saw us shoot back to the ramp by 9am. A great morning.

tailorboi99
19-01-2009, 07:11 AM
Good fish mate, well done.

Tom

lethal098
19-01-2009, 08:01 AM
gotta be happy with a morning like that, maybe i shouldnt have slept in and should have gone out ah well next time, cheers lethal

Benno1
19-01-2009, 11:46 AM
NIIIIICE!!!...macky for dinner...what gear were you using???...great piccie as well...cheers Lump :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

thelump
19-01-2009, 12:07 PM
NIIIIICE!!!...macky for dinner...what gear were you using???...great piccie as well...cheers Lump :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

Flueger contender with 30lb mono. 58lb wire with 5/0 hoodlum main hook and treble stinger. Live yellowtail slow trolled. And yes they are tasty.

tropicrows
19-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Great stuff,
next time your at spot X, can paint the X on the water a bit bigger so I can find it.

jarhead
19-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Top effort mate and nice results.

Wal

thelump
19-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Great stuff,
next time your at spot X, can paint the X on the water a bit bigger so I can find it.

Did that mate but it keeps coming off. The other way you can find it is just go to where all the mackeral are.;D ;D ;D

RAT-KING
19-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Well done wat a ripper session!!!!
Did u measure them?

skipalong
19-01-2009, 06:16 PM
great work mate with the best time of the year still to come should be awesome havnt ever seen so many rat spaniards around before but in the end they all tse great

cheers justin

Bassmaster1
19-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Saturday saw a small window for another go at the Mackeral. At Viccy point ramp at 3.15 and at the bar at 4. Waited till it was light enough to cross and proceeded across a flat bar. Arrived at the baithe ground to find them sticking to the bottom till it got lighter when they lifted up and we had a dozen or so in 10 minutes. All yellow tail no slimies though. Bolt up to spot X and baits in. !0 minutes or so and I,m onto the first which is successfully pinned and in the esky. Another few minutes see the first of 2 schoolies caught. Then the tide turned and it was Kaos with fish taking livies as we were feeding them back. Before you no it my deckie and I are even with 1 spaniard and 1 schoolie each of near identical size. The last livie was taken from the bait tank as my deckie undid his spaniard and i sent it back only to be smashed inside of 2 minutes and the last Spaniard was boarded. No more bait and a very ominous storm approaching saw us shoot back to the ramp by 9am. A great morning.

Well done Lump, dont you just love sessions like that when every livie becomes a fish in the matter of no time.

Just out of curiosity, what length of wire were you using, and the distance between the hoodlum and the stinger? Did most of hte fish get hooked on the hoodlum or the stinger? Also, how much wieght?

Cheers,

Bruce

finding_time
19-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Lump

We were out Sunday and had had enought billie chasing by 2.30 pm ( very slow ) we moved into a known location for macs and the surface action was full on! We changed over some skirts for lazer pros , and over the next hour caught around 12 to 15 spanish and 6 spotties, every troll over the mark resulted in double or tripple hook-ups, it's been a very long time since we have seen them that thick. Any that were just hooked went back and we kept 6 spanish and 4 spotties and that was all in an hour! best of all we were the only boat there!!!!! I love fishing in strong wind warnings , sure it rough but it's also very very peaceful!

Ian

When i get a pic i'll post it!

thelump
20-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Well done wat a ripper session!!!!
Did u measure them?

Only the schoolies which went 74cm.

thelump
20-01-2009, 07:06 AM
[quote=Bassmaster1;957490

Just out of curiosity, what length of wire were you using, and the distance between the hoodlum and the stinger? Did most of hte fish get hooked on the hoodlum or the stinger? Also, how much wieght?

Cheers,

Bruce[/quote]

About a foot of wire to the hoodlum and about 3-4" to the stinger. most on the stingers so far but a few have devoured the lot. I also experimented with a longer wire to the stinger (about 6") and had it on a split ring on the main wire so you could shorten it for smaller baits and still be puling from the hoodlum hook. It worked great till one fish decided he wanted the lot.:-/ If by weight you mean a sinker then no. Just swim them a long way back and they stay down.

thelump
20-01-2009, 07:08 AM
Lump

We were out Sunday and had had enought billie chasing by 2.30 pm ( very slow ) we moved into a known location for macs and the surface action was full on! We changed over some skirts for lazer pros , and over the next hour caught around 12 to 15 spanish and 6 spotties, every troll over the mark resulted in double or tripple hook-ups, it's been a very long time since we have seen them that thick. Any that were just hooked went back and we kept 6 spanish and 4 spotties and that was all in an hour! best of all we were the only boat there!!!!! I love fishing in strong wind warnings , sure it rough but it's also very very peaceful!

Ian

When i get a pic i'll post it!

Nice work was that down here or up north?

finding_time
20-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Nice work was that down here or up north?

Off Straddie!

catfish55
21-01-2009, 05:15 PM
great stuff lump what sort of depth were you in can pm me if you don't want to broadcast.
pat

catfish55
21-01-2009, 05:20 PM
About a foot of wire to the hoodlum and about 3-4" to the stinger. most on the stingers so far but a few have devoured the lot. I also experimented with a longer wire to the stinger (about 6") and had it on a split ring on the main wire so you could shorten it for smaller baits and still be puling from the hoodlum hook. It worked great till one fish decided he wanted the lot.:-/ If by weight you mean a sinker then no. Just swim them a long way back and they stay down.
hope you don't mind never tried trolling livies before but keen to try
what size wire and hoodlum hooks and are you using jags as a stinger.... thanks pat

J-MAN
23-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Hey Lump,
A "little maroon birdie" told me that you were crying for your mummy after hooking up, but i suppose thats typical for a blue blood.
Just kiddin! blacky and I hope to get a few on Sun/Mon.
Will be sure to text you if we do.

cheers,
J-Man.