PDA

View Full Version : Tackle back systems and Braid

plastic_paul
19-01-2009, 05:21 AM
Was looking at the various tackle back systems the other day, are they safe to use on braid? does it scuff it up at all???

deepfried
19-01-2009, 03:58 PM
I hope they are safe because i just ordered one.

I cant see them being a problem. They are just sliding down the line.

Scott

plastic_paul
19-01-2009, 05:15 PM
i just get a bit paranoid about things touching tensioned braid... any used these on braid?

NAGG
19-01-2009, 05:42 PM
hi PP

I used a tackleback...... for a couple of years ........ No worries about the braid .
however the effectiveness is limited (lure size/type , leader used , conditions etc) .......... so I bought an extendable pole type ($50)8-) Works exceptionally well up to 12 ft (paid for itself on the first couple of days) ....... below 12 Ft then its drag out the tackle back again.
The strike back are brilliant but expensive

Chris

Dan5
19-01-2009, 06:09 PM
I havn't had any trouble damaging the braid but i have lost about 3 tackleback's due to the braid cutting through the VB cord >:( .

I can't remember the name of the lure retriever i have now but it's the stainless one with the swivel at one end and the chains at the other.........by far the best one i've used..........now i have 20mtrs of 2.5mm stainless 7x 36 wire swaged onto it......i can always get it back.

Dan,

bassfan
19-01-2009, 07:33 PM
hi PP

I used a tackleback...... for a couple of years ........ No worries about the braid .
however the effectiveness is limited (lure size/type , leader used , conditions etc) .......... so I bought an extendable pole type ($50)8-) Works exceptionally well up to 12 ft (paid for itself on the first couple of days) ....... below 12 Ft then its drag out the tackle back again.
The strike back are brilliant but expensive

Chris
I've been using a tackleback attached to 100lb mono for over 10 years & they are brilliant. Have been using it with braid for 3 or 4 years & no problems either and recently added a heavy duty swivel between the line & tackleback to prevent twists, but was thinking of getting a strikeback mainly for those occassional wayward casts that end up in the trees. Considering the cost of the extension pieces do you think it's worthwhile just getting the 9 metre unit to begin with...?

Peter

NAGG
19-01-2009, 09:53 PM
I've been using a tackleback attached to 100lb mono for over 10 years & they are brilliant. Have been using it with braid for 3 or 4 years & no problems either and recently added a heavy duty swivel between the line & tackleback to prevent twists, but was thinking of getting a strikeback mainly for those occassional wayward casts that end up in the trees. Considering the cost of the extension pieces do you think it's worthwhile just getting the 9 metre unit to begin with...?

Peter

Hi Pete ...... We cut parachute cord too :o

With the length of a strike back

I guess in the end ..... its the depth you fish ( I dont fish 9M with HBs) so a 6M will do nicely (9 or 10 barra lures saved & it is paid for8-) )

Chris

plastic_paul
20-01-2009, 04:51 AM
awesome guys, thanks for advice

Roo
20-01-2009, 09:59 AM
just dont drop your strikeback.....or its joining your lure on the bottom!!!

the 1oz snapper lead and a few chains trick works well. I have an old tackle back that is supposed to grab the tow point of your lure.....no good with loop knots tho' but they can be upgraded by adding some small link chains to try pick up a treble or 2....only prob is when your using 4xx ST66 owners and rings.....you can destroy the lure if it is well embedded. the pole ones are good in the shallows (to 3.5m) as you can usually knock the lure off without busting it....deeper than that could be interesting.....particularly if in tidal flow or wind....and on your own!!!

Cheers Roo.

aussiebasser
20-01-2009, 11:45 AM
I use a Tackleback and a home made one. I've never had a problem with Fireline or Bionic, but I've been trying a bit of Daiwa PE lately and I am losing a lot more lures. Maybe the Tackleback, or it may be the extremely thin braid. I lost my last Feral Cat last week due to 16lb Daiwa braid not holding up.

plastic_paul
20-01-2009, 05:18 PM
i use sunline, which is pretty thin. might just have to try it, i gues if i save 4 lures to a spool of line its paid for.....

Roo
21-01-2009, 02:34 PM
I lost my last Feral Cat last week due to 16lb Daiwa braid not holding up.

FFFFk how on earth do you rig 'em? The buggers tear me to shreds trying to fit a stinger hook on its tail.::) ;D