PDA

View Full Version : motor choice??? + NewBoat??

Bennywise
18-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Hello,

Just checking out some new open boats from stessco (catcher 425 RV) and now trying to work out whether it is worth the extra $$$ for a 4st. I know the 2st vs 4st has been done to death on this forum, however are there real benifits of owning 40hp 4st over 40hp 2st??? As this boat will be mainly used in creeks, rivers and the odd dam trip, Petrol savings is not a big issue for me. I will be fitting a minkotta for sneaking around while throwing a few lures, so the noise of the 2st is also not an issue.

My main concern is resale and I have been told that 2st will soon not be allowed in some dams and waterways?

What would you do??

Ben

Blackened
18-01-2009, 05:57 PM
I have been told that 2st will soon not be allowed in some dams and waterways?

What would you do??

Ben

G'day

Ben, find a qualified answer to that question before you make your mind up.

As for resale, isn't it all relative?

Curiosity's sakes, what's the price difference?

Dave

finga
18-01-2009, 06:00 PM
One thing I would always consider is electric start on the motor.
For me the 4 stroke is so much quieter. You can have a yarn to a mate whilst your motoring.
The petrol saving may not be an issue for you but once you see the difference it will be an issue.
I went from about 18L for the 2 stroke for a day down the Pin to 4L with the little Honda.
As you say the issue of allowing the 2 stroke on some waterways in the future needs to be addressed.

I'd be considering the power trim and tilt on the 40 too.

foxx510
18-01-2009, 06:02 PM
I think the weight is an issue on small boats. 4 strokes are so damn heavy.

Bennywise
18-01-2009, 06:03 PM
G'day

Ben, find a qualified answer to that question before you make your mind up.

As for resale, isn't it all relative?

Curiosity's sakes, what's the price difference?

Dave

Without any bargaining, about 5K....

Leighton
18-01-2009, 06:10 PM
I had a 40 HP 2 stroke on my 4.2 Catcher, great boat.
The 2 stroke was great, I had the 3 cyl 40 Merc. It got along well, topping at about 60 km/h.
The only thing I didnt like was the smoke if you were trolling with the wind behind you. Also the noise, both while trolling, full noise and flushing the motor.
All minor and probably me being picky but once you have had a 4 stroke its hard to compare the two IMO.
If you do go to 2 stroke, Electric start, trim and tilt are well worth paying for if you plan to hit up the skinny creeks
And yes I would think resale on a 4 stroke would be better

Mrs Ronnie H
18-01-2009, 06:15 PM
I think the weight is an issue on small boats. 4 strokes are so damn heavy.

I would consider taking a look at the 2009 model suzi four strokes. We have a 90hp which is around 40 kgs lighter than the 08 model and comparatively shorter and more fuel efficient than Honda and yamaha.

Ronnie

foxx510
18-01-2009, 06:31 PM
I would consider taking a look at the 2009 model suzi four strokes. We have a 90hp which is around 40 kgs lighter than the 08 model and comparatively shorter and more fuel efficient than Honda and yamaha.

Ronnie

Yep they are getting lighter. The new Honda 40 is actually lighter than the Suzuki, maybe the Suzuki 40 is due for an update. I think Merc have one of the lightest 4st in the smaller motors at the moment.

Mindi
18-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Hello,

Just checking out some new open boats from stessco (catcher 425 RV) and now trying to work out whether it is worth the extra $$$ for a 4st. I know the 2st vs 4st has been done to death on this forum, however are there real benifits of owning 40hp 4st over 40hp 2st??? As this boat will be mainly used in creeks, rivers and the odd dam trip, Petrol savings is not a big issue for me. I will be fitting a minkotta for sneaking around while throwing a few lures, so the noise of the 2st is also not an issue.

My main concern is resale and I have been told that 2st will soon not be allowed in some dams and waterways?

What would you do??

Ben

any ban would probably be unlikely..more like a sunset period in which you have to meet certain "star" based environmental ratings. The DI 2 strokes already match or better 4 strokes..but the old carbied 2 strokes may be a bit vulnerable some time out into the future..?

Jabba_
18-01-2009, 07:17 PM
On your boat, and money was not an issue. I would look at the motor that offered the most...
Is the motor Elect start.
can it also be pulled started if the battery runs flat.
Does it have a powered trim tilt.
How heavy is it compared to the others brands.
Is the motor quiet
Does the motor have a 3 star EPA rating.

bluefin59
18-01-2009, 07:19 PM
I run a 2 stroke 60hp merc ,but if i had my time over again i would seriously be thinking about a 4 stroke ,i believe the honda is lighter than the suzi but haveing said that the suzi is a great motor my mate has one on his fin and he gets way better fuel consumption than me . 5K seems like a lot of difference in price and that may change my opinion on what o get and P.T.T is a must ...matt

ratbag's
19-01-2009, 08:51 AM
have a look at this mob, they have the info on motor emissions, which will be the reason 2st's will be stoppped in some waterways - http://www.oeda.com.au/
if you buy a 2st, get one with the best rating, I contacted OEDA when looking at upgrading my merc 40hp 2st, they were very helpful. I was lucky enough to pick up a 2nd hand quinny with a 4st yammy 60hp. fuel consumption is 1/4 of of the merc. I could not justify buying a new 4st (average use per year v's fuel saving would take me 16 yrs to get my money back) although it is quieter which is great. I was once told - "buy the best motor you can afford"

happy fishing! Ratbag.

Mindi
19-01-2009, 09:18 AM
have a look at this mob, they have the info on motor emissions, which will be the reason 2st's will be stoppped in some waterways - http://www.oeda.com.au/
if you buy a 2st, get one with the best rating, I contacted OEDA when looking at upgrading my merc 40hp 2st, they were very helpful. I was lucky enough to pick up a 2nd hand quinny with a 4st yammy 60hp. fuel consumption is 1/4 of of the merc. I could not justify buying a new 4st (average use per year v's fuel saving would take me 16 yrs to get my money back) although it is quieter which is great. I was once told - "buy the best motor you can afford"

happy fishing! Ratbag.

Yeah but they dont tell you the ratings do they. All ETecs are 3 star, not all four strokes are 3 star.. some are 2 star (smaller Mercury) and other Mercury are not published for example but I guess Optis would be 3 star..? .. most old carbied 2 strokes would be 1 star.

Bennywise
19-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks for eveyones feed back with regards to motors.

What are opinions on the Stessco Catcher RV425?? looking at past post, there seems to be alot of negative reports about the quality of these boats?

I haven't owned a boat for over 10 years, so I have very little experience in what to look for. I wanted to spend around 15K on my new boat, what other boats for this kind of $$'s should I be looking at? I have also been looking at the Polycraft 4.1 & 4.5 opens which seem to have some positive reviews on them.

The boat will be mainly used for river/creeks and on good days out to the bay islands.

Ben

kokomo
19-01-2009, 10:15 AM
4 strokes are very heavy..
2st are much lighter a
so you could look at a smaller 2st and get the same speed. which is even more cost saving..

2st all the way

Wahoo
19-01-2009, 12:49 PM
All ETecs are 3 star,
no they are not, you still get a new E-Tec with only 2 star :)

Mindi
19-01-2009, 01:04 PM
no they are not, you still get a new E-Tec with only 2 star :)

what size..? i would be surprised if that is right..?

Quote from Evinrude.com which presumably would not lie about this..?

Evinrude E-TEC engines all comply with the California Air Resources Board (CARB) rating system and meet its stringent 3-Star standards for ultra-low emissions.
The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has issued regulations that will deliver a generation of cleaner burning engines. The complete line of Evinrude E-TEC engines meets or exceeds EPA regulations.

Here is the Mercury table showing all Verados and some Optis are only 2 star.

MERCURY OUTBOARD FAMILY CARB STAR RATING
2.5-3.5 4-Stroke 3
4-5-6 4-Stroke 3
8-9.9 4-Stroke 3
15 4-Stroke 3 (starting Jan.1)
25-30 EFI 4-Stroke (incl. Jet 25) 3
40-50-60 EFI 4-Stroke (incl. Jet 40) 3
75-90-115 EFI 4-Stroke 3
135-150-175-200 4-Cyl. Verado 2
200-225-250-275-300 6-Cyl. Verado 2
75-90-115 1.5L OptiMax 3
135-150-175 2.5L OptiMax 135 = 3; 150/175 = 2
200-225-250 3.0L OptiMax 200/225 = 2; 250 = 3
175-225-250 Pro XS OptiMax 3
50-90-150 EFI 2-Stroke (incl. Jet 65) N/A

catfishkid
19-01-2009, 03:02 PM
I recently sold a Stessco catcher 4.2rv and it had 40hp 2st tohatsu.It was a fantastic boat,handled well and flat out did about 26knots.It was heavy with minn kota on front,2 deep cycle batteries,livewell etc..
The boat was solid as and I would own another one no problem.
the motor was a 3cyl carby job and i love tohatsu outboards for their reliability.

Cheers Craig

Wahoo
19-01-2009, 03:30 PM
what size..? i would be surprised if that is right..?

Quote from Evinrude.com which presumably would not lie about this..?

Evinrude E-TEC engines all comply with the California Air Resources Board (CARB) rating system and meet its stringent 3-Star standards for ultra-low emissions.
The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has issued regulations that will deliver a generation of cleaner burning engines. The complete line of Evinrude E-TEC engines meets or exceeds EPA regulations.

Here is the Mercury table showing all Verados and some Optis are only 2 star.

MERCURY OUTBOARD FAMILY CARB STAR RATING
2.5-3.5 4-Stroke 3
4-5-6 4-Stroke 3
8-9.9 4-Stroke 3
15 4-Stroke 3 (starting Jan.1)
25-30 EFI 4-Stroke (incl. Jet 25) 3
40-50-60 EFI 4-Stroke (incl. Jet 40) 3
75-90-115 EFI 4-Stroke 3
135-150-175-200 4-Cyl. Verado 2
200-225-250-275-300 6-Cyl. Verado 2
75-90-115 1.5L OptiMax 3
135-150-175 2.5L OptiMax 135 = 3; 150/175 = 2
200-225-250 3.0L OptiMax 200/225 = 2; 250 = 3
175-225-250 Pro XS OptiMax 3
50-90-150 EFI 2-Stroke (incl. Jet 65) N/A

LOL hit a sore tooth, did i, either merc had a few extra 3 star stickers and just put them on my Verado ( 225 6 CYL )and same with a mates Verado......i duno.........

or them figures come with the new E-tec DVD??

300hp E-Tec is 2 star, unless the one i had a run in, one star fell off.....duno that one either

business class
19-01-2009, 03:44 PM
mate price the competitors in the 4's at the moment as i think honda are the only ones you can really choose as the zuke is dearer then gold i think you will find. for resale a 4 stroke will definately be better, but you won't want to sell it when you own a 4 banger so that will not be an issue. I would also comprimise weight for better fuel consumtion and the noise factor, and don't forget the smell, its herendious.

cheers
Matty

Mindi
19-01-2009, 03:51 PM
LOL hit a sore tooth, did i, either merc had a few extra 3 star stickers and just put them on my Verado ( 225 6 CYL )and same with a mates Verado......i duno.........

or them figures come with the new E-tec DVD??

300hp E-Tec is 2 star, unless the one i had a run in, one star fell off.....duno that one either

Sorry you missed the mark there...I am a black fan... but I do have both eyes open. .......the figures came off the Mercury Website...they obviously think their Verados are 2 stars.? In fact if you check US forums there was a panic as Verado owners were concerned their motors would be illegal from 2008 in California being "2 star". but the law is only applied to "average " rating across the range so by selling heaps of Optis they were able to keep selling the Verados......(also from the Mercury Marine website.)

UNLESS the ratings are different in Australia which would be interesting..? dunno but I doubt it.

A happy Mercury owner.

Wahoo
19-01-2009, 03:56 PM
UNLESS the ratings are different in Australia which would be interesting..?

A happy Mercury owner.

Thanks Mindi, this is something i did not look into, maybe thats why i have 3 star, might do a little research

Jabba_
19-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Yeah but they dont tell you the ratings do they. All ETecs are 3 star, not all four strokes are 3 star.. some are 2 star (smaller Mercury) and other Mercury are not published for example but I guess Optis would be 3 star..? .. most old carbied 2 strokes would be 1 star.
Very few Opti's are 3 star... Most are a 2 star rating... I'm not sure about 2009 models, they may be all 3 star....

The word I heard about operating otboards on close impoundments (Dam) is, only outboards that have a 3 star rating will be permitted on the impoundment.. 2 star 4st will also be band....

Bennywise
19-01-2009, 04:13 PM
What are the pro's and Con's for 40Hp E-tec Vs 40 TLDI??? Looking at a tiller.

Is there much of a price difference between the two??

Mindi
19-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Actually I just got told something interesting by someone off here... when DI 2 strokes are rated by EPA their test obviously includes their lubricating oil...(as it is either combusted or exhausted) so all their fluid inputs are included in their tests.
On the other hand no penalty is applied to 4 strokes for the fact that their lubricating oil is disposed of outside the engine somewhere into the environment..? so DIs like Optis and ETECs and Yammy HDPIs are tested at a considerable disadvantage (including their oil) ...4 strokes are given a flying start with no oil in the test process.
Well maybe that isnt interesting but I thought so at the time..!

finga
19-01-2009, 06:26 PM
What are the pro's and Con's for 40Hp E-tec Vs 40 TLDI??? Looking at a tiller.

Is there much of a price difference between the two??
For me the TLDI
Love the Tohatsu's I do.
This might be of interest to you as well matey
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/003544.html

Decisions, decisions. It's nearly easier to keep the old girl in some respects :-/